Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do you Insure your 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
goberserk
My dad just came into a 914 like this:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...=ST&f=2&t=43536

I was wondering how people normally insure thier 914s. I've seen insurance companies specifically for collector cars. Since his is mostly restored I worry that normal insurance won't cover it for the proper amount. It won't be his daily driver and it's pretty nasty in NH in the winter so he'll only be driving it in the summer, so it won't see too many miles.

Any suggestions?
messix
hagerty collector car ins. agreed value $6,000- $90.00 a year.
r_towle
get a declared value policy...haggerty does this...it is on top of your liability insurance...

the delcared value is done by a proffesional porsche appraiser, and its based upon how you plan to drive the car...

have your Dad check out www.porschenet.com
Or look on the PCA.org web site for both the Northeast region, and the North Country Region.

There are alot of 914's in this area and many events that he would like from shows, rallies, autox, and track events...

Rich
Rrrockhound
Collector car insurance usually has pretty tight mileage restrictions (like 5000 mi/yr or even less) and only covers driving on special occasions, like parades and shows. I insured mine through my regular carrier, and they let me declare the replacement value.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (messix @ Jan 8 2006, 10:27 PM)
hagerty collector car ins. agreed value $6,000- $90.00 a year.

agree.gif smilie_pokal.gif givemebeer.gif
messix
no mile restrictions. just have to have another car as a daily driver on reg. ins. [and all other lic. drivers]. have to be parked and stored in locked garage.
grasshopper
any good insurance for a 16 year old?? unsure.gif
messix
ya.... good grades and no tickets!!!!

try to stay on your parents policy
robby750
QUOTE (grasshopper @ Jan 8 2006, 07:34 PM)
any good insurance for a 16 year old??

HA HA

av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (grasshopper @ Jan 8 2006, 08:34 PM)
any good insurance for a 16 year old?? unsure.gif

i aint 16....and i aint 25....

so hagerty wont do my car... dry.gif
TravisNeff
I ended up with a standard car policy with State Farm, I drive mine everyday so I can't do the limited miles policies.
Andyrew
mercury for 16 year old.. 65 a month.

Hagerty insures 18 yo's aaron. but you have to have another car.. and your car has to be in a garage.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Jan 8 2006, 10:34 PM)

Hagerty insures 18 yo's aaron. but you have to have another car.. and your car has to be in a garage.

have the other car....dont have the garage dry.gif
Brando
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Jan 8 2006, 09:36 PM)

Don't worry, they don't send adjusters to your house to make sure you're keeping it garaged. Wait, isn't it being garaged now? biggrin.gif

I only have liability on der teener. But I have my uninsured motorist at $100k... I'll use every penny if necessary.
anthony
I only have liability on der teener. But I have my uninsured motorist at $100k... I'll use every penny if necessary.

$100K isn't enough. What if you get hit, your car gets totalled, and have $50K in medical bills and then are disabled for the rest of your life? You'll have $50K for your trouble if your insurance coughed it up without a fight and less if you had to get a lawyer. $500K, IMO, should be the minimum one carries for uninsured motorist.

VegasRacer
Hagerty smilie_flagge24.gif
$414 / yr. for Elvira.
Brando
QUOTE (anthony @ Jan 9 2006, 12:23 AM)

$100K isn't enough. What if you get hit, your car gets totalled, and have $50K in medical bills and then are disabled for the rest of your life? You'll have $50K for your trouble if your insurance coughed it up without a fight and less if you had to get a lawyer. $500K, IMO, should be the minimum one carries for uninsured motorist.

Uninsured motorist at $100k is just to get me the lawyer and sue!

Also, pre-paid legal service is a mixed blessing to have in the New-Mexican Republic of Southern California smile.gif

Seriously, I have medical through my work (Dow Jones) that is VERY good even for a part-timer. I chose the plan that had all the serious stuff covered nearly 100%, just my prescriptions cost more.

Everyone's situation is different. When insuring your teener for C&C get the most you can!
IanJ
QUOTE (Brando @ Jan 8 2006, 11:31 PM)
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Jan 8 2006, 09:36 PM)

Don't worry, they don't send adjusters to your house to make sure you're keeping it garaged. Wait, isn't it being garaged now? biggrin.gif

Be very careful! If the car is stolen they may enquire as to why it wasn't stored in the garage and then you are in deep sh*t.

Insurance companies are a business and if they can get out of paying out THEY WILL.

watsonrx13
QUOTE (VegasRacer @ Jan 9 2006, 04:08 AM)
Hagerty  
$414 / yr. for Elvira.

John, I used stated value of $10,000 and no modifications for Florida and got a quote for $142... What stated value did you use?

-- Rob
VegasRacer
QUOTE (watsonrx13 @ Jan 9 2006, 04:07 AM)
What stated value did you use?

30 K and lots of mods. smilie_flagge24.gif
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif
I have CONDON and Skelly, $180.00 a yr. 2,500 mile limit( if you are going to go over that just let them know and it's covered) ,must be Garaged, $20,000.00 declaired value,I had it apraised for replace ment value,and sent them a copy,for there recoreds. I HOPE I NEVER NEED IT! Dave slap.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.