Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A crook peruses this site
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Sparky
finger.gif I posted a perfect set of heat exchangers for sale on this list and got a reply from Mark Grillo. He is trying to scam me by "sending a check for $4500" and I am to "send the balance" back to him in US curreny. This is a scam, usually from Nigeria, but currently from UK. Beware anyone selling parts to this person.
Randal
More than one.

This guy (love the name) tried somewhat the same routine with my fuchs that I've had for sale.

Big long explaination about how he wanted the "Fuchs" and would I send him the balance of a check that he would have forwarded to me from a US company that owed him for work done for them.

I asked him what he was going to run the Fuchs on..... He said, "thanks for that but you shouldn't worry about that. " (The first clue!)
Randal
That's weird. I had the guy's name in the body of the message and it didn't post.

The name is Malcom Yukick

The e-mail he used was: malcolm_200@dbzmail.com
Dave_Darling
Just tell him that you need to wait for the check to clear. Once you have the check, call the bank it's drawn on and talk to them about it. Also call the local D.A. or the local post office--mail fraud is actually their beat.

--DD
Sparky
Actually, the US Gov't is powerless to do anything about these $ssholes. When I called to report it they said basically "take a number but don't wait to be called".
EdwardBlume
This scam is rampant. Just say no to anything but cash or a check for the asking price.

Also, beware of the call me back at (xxx) xxx-xxxx. Its a scam as well. They'll tell you they're calling from San Diego or somewhere, but the number is a Carribean or S American number where they'll charge you $25 per minute to call.

You end up with a big phone bill and you're hosed because - you made the phone call. ph34r.gif
bmendel
the real scam is that the bank will generally release the funds after 1-3 days for a cashiers check, 7-10 days for a regular check whether it has cleared or not, but it will take longer than that to find that it is a fake check. Many people confuse the bank releasing the funds with the check being good. They think "the bank has relesed the funds, the check is good" Not the case, and you are liable a couple weeks later when they find out the check's bad. That why the scammers asks that you send them the difference when the bank releases the funds. These guys were all over the sellers on the 912 registry, I think at lease one person got scammed.
Rusty
If you get an answer from a scammer like that, please post all of his info for the Admins to read. We'll go in and block the SOB.

Info we need: user name and email address.

-Rusty smoke.gif
-P-
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Aug 28 2003, 08:52 AM)
If you get an answer from a scammer like that, please post all of his info for the Admins to read. We'll go in and block the SOB.

-Rusty smoke.gif

Make sure to get the IP address too, if they are a user here, if not it can sometimes be retrieved from the header of the email. Then we can have some real fun.
Part Pricer
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Aug 28 2003, 09:52 AM)

How are you going to do that? You don't need to be a registered user to respond to the classified listings.
tryan
tell them you are selling the heat exchangers for a buddy and give him alfreds email. wink.gif
Rusty
We have ban filters for email addresses, of both registered and non-registered users.

Yes, an IP address (forward mail with header) would be useful.

-Rusty smoke.gif
Aaron Cox
lets put the dudes email address into all kinds of mailing lists eh? beerchug.gif
Sparky
Here is his address:

mark grillo [mark_grillo@mail.com]

Give em he11 boys.
-P-
Do me a favor, right click on the message (if your using Outlook, or Outlook express) and choose properties, then view the message header. Copy the whole thing here minus the actual message part if you dont want us to see. This has to be from an email he has sent you.
Brad Roberts
I'm very close to blocking ALL email from Yahoo/MSN/Mail.com/Hotmail on my exchange server. The people run scripts that create 1000's of email addresses on these free sites and use them to spam other people.

So.. if you plan on emailing me any time soon... your going to have to get a real email address or PM me thru the site (like 90% of the people do).

B
TravisNeff
Be aware that since this scam is going through the us postal service, this becomes mail fraud - which is a felony w00t.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.