Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do I Time the Six ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DougC
OK, I want to check and adjust the timing on the 2.7L six that i recently installed in my 914 but could use some advice on the subject. How in the world would you be able to point the light at the pulley unless maybe you were under the car while it turns 3K rpm - that seems a bit dangerous though. How's this done? BTW, I have a nice craftsman adjustable timing light but have never timed anything with it.. actually haven't timed anything for a looooong time, advice is appreciated!

Doug C
TimT
there should be a little window on the transmission, that allows you to see the flywheel. I have a picture of this, but its on my home pc. I have posted it before though so a search may find it
Carl
Doug,
The opening Tim refers to is on the top of the flywheel housing at the center rear of the top of the engine. You can see it by looking straight down at the housing past the forward edge of the trunk lid.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (TimT @ Jan 9 2006, 09:52 AM)
there should be a little window on the transmission, that allows you to see the flywheel. I have a picture of this, but its on my home pc. I have posted it before though so a search may find it

That's assuming you marked the flywheel! And it's 6000 RPM, NOT 3000. If you didn't mark the FW, you can do it with some effort and care by locating the marks on the pilley and marking the flywheel accordingly. The Cap'n
GeorgeRud
Depending which flywheel you have on your 2.7, the timing marks may be on the flywheel, but they may be wrong for your application. When I converted my six with a 2.7, the flywheel I got to bolt the engine to the 914 transmission had the marks labeled incorrectly for my engine. I would highly recommend using the pulley marks to line it up with the engine off, and then apply a paint mark on the flywheel's outside so you can use the port in the sheet metal in the future. This little bug caused me all sorts of problems until we figured it out.
Root_Werks
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Jan 9 2006, 10:29 AM)
QUOTE (TimT @ Jan 9 2006, 09:52 AM)
there should be a little window on the transmission, that allows you to see the flywheel. I have a picture  of this, but its on my home pc. I have posted it before though so a search may find it

That's assuming you marked the flywheel! And it's 6000 RPM, NOT 3000. If you didn't mark the FW, you can do it with some effort and care by locating the marks on the pilley and marking the flywheel accordingly. The Cap'n

I agree with the Krusty one. If you have a real 914-6 flywheel, it should have the timing marks on it. If it is a 911 flywheel, I think they don't come with the marks. idea.gif
DougC
OK - so, if I can find TDC for cyl#1 and I see the flywheel mark - I'm good to start the timing proceedure? Then I want to rev to what..6K and set the Light to 30degrees advance or something like that, right? I'm using MSD box, stock coil and distributor if that matters.

Doug C
Ferg
Doug that flywheel should be marked and I timed it just like Cap'n said. look for green paint, if I remember correctly the green mark for TDC looks sorta like this -I-, but that's from memory double and tripple check it.
cool_shades.gif

Ferg
Eddie914
The reference marks on the pulley are the most reliable.

The factory marks on the flywheel may not be correct depending on flywheel engine combination.

i.e. 2.7 CIS engine with original 914/6 flywheel (dish style) - the factory markings are off by nearly 30 degrees!

Good Luck!

Eddie
DougC
Thanks everyone! Ferg, I fooled around with the distributor's orientation at one point when I couldn't get the thing to start (just installed, false air) so I'm pretty sure I didn't get it back to exactly where you had it set.

Think I will :
1) Find TDC using the pulley/dist rotor.
2) then check the flywheel to see if there is a mark correctly positioned..
if so I will use it for the actual timing. If not I will add a painted mark.

What then?
1) Timing light grounds to the Engine, right? Red to positive battery cable (I'm sure)
2) clip onto the plug wire for #1 cylndr.
3) Rev and hold throttle at 6000rpm ? Is that right?
4) Pull the trigger on the light and clock the distributor until the lines come together at 30 degrees?

Do I have the timing advance/retard (30 degrees) right for a stock 2.7L using MSD ignition?

Doug C
Aaron Cox
the way you decribe, you need an adjustable delay timing light.

if you mark tdc.... you turn the light to delay 30 degrees, and you should see your TDC mark...

if you use a basic light... you need to mark 30 degrees BTDC, so when it fires youll see the 30 degree mark....

DougC
dead horse.gif
OK, I'm just now getting around to this. I do see the markings on the flywheel. There is a red painted dot where "Z1" is etched in the flywheel. There is also another painted mark (green) at another point. But basically, do I need to just be concerned with the "Z1" mark? That is actually TDC right? And when that is lined with the case split, the rotor tip will match the notch on distributor (right?).
OK, if that's true at idle... I then disconnect the vacuum to the dist (and plug it), rev engine to 6K and hold it while turning the distrubutor so that the Red Z1 mark lines up again (timing light advanced to 30degrees this time). Do I have the procedure right?

Doug C
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.