Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: brake fluid resivoir
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sk8kat1
I am still new to 914's by about 3- 4 months .. I looked under the hood and I see the brake fluid resivior and up by the cap there is fluid around it -- in the performance prouducts catalog I found a cap to go over th "brake fluid resivoir "bowl" -- i sthis normal or just a fix for an on going expected issue w/ the resivoir

cover
goose2
I've never seen one on a stock car...I think it's just an accessory. Doesn't seem like a bad idea but not necessary.
914GT
Remove the cap and see if it has a crack along the side. This can cause fluid to leak out, especially if the level is kept near the top of the reservoir.
sk8kat1
so should this be there or is this actually an issue with the resivoir .. It would seem kinda strange to have an assory item for a issue , but hell I guess stranger things have happened
Cap'n Krusty
Don't let these guys fool you! You need this item, especailly if your wallet is overfull! If you, and thousands of others, don't buy one, PP will be financially ruined! The Cap'n
sk8kat1
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Jan 9 2006, 11:17 AM)
Don't let these guys fool you! You need this item, especailly if your wallet is overfull! If you, and thousands of others, don't buy one, PP will be financially ruined! The Cap'n

av-943.gif

... but oneone has come out and said -- is this supposed to be like this? should there be fliud in that "bowl" area or is there an issue
SirAndy
QUOTE (sk8kat1 @ Jan 9 2006, 12:06 PM)
should there be fliud in that "bowl" area or is there an issue

no, it's not normal to have fluid sitting there, unless you just put some in the reservoir and spilled it.
or, the level is high and the black cap is cracked.

is the drain hose still on there?
idea.gif Andy
sk8kat1
no crack thi can see in the cap or the neck of the resivoir...yes the hoses are all still attached and appear to be in good condition

thee appears to be a thin rubber gasket in the cap that looks to be in good conditon ....

and the resivoir is n't over full either...

not sure where to go from here ... guess to get annew cap and gasket....

oddly enough the front pass side appears to have damp brake fluid mark on the back side of the tire ... huh.gif
bd1308
okay...i've seen this before...think old faithful on a very small scale.

me and dralf rebuilt a caliper. upone reassembly we bled the brakes....

well we had the resivour filled to the brim. i stomp on brakes and wee! goes the fluid, about five feet high. I saw it through the little crack between the opened hood and the trunk. or something to that effect.

it happens only when all of the planets align.

b
SirAndy
QUOTE (sk8kat1 @ Jan 9 2006, 06:48 PM)
yes the hoses are all still attached and appear to be in good condition

"drain hose" i said ... wink.gif

small, transparent (sort of) hose that drains overspill out the bottom of the car.
i was *not* talking about the two larger dia. hoses that go to the MC ...

cool_shades.gif Andy
sk8kat1
icon_bump.gif
goose2
Since you've only had your 914 a few months, is it possible that the PO spilled some fluid while topping up and it's still there? This might be supported by the apparent leak at the wheel you're seeing (frequent topping off of fluid to compensate for leak). I would clean it up real nice and watch it for a while before I drew any conclusions.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.