Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Discovered why my motor mounts fell off
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TonyAKAVW
Recently I discovered that when I stepped on the gas in first, the engine would make a loud bang and the shifter would move noticably. Sure enough the bolts on the fonr engine mounts had come off. These are the four bolts that bolt into the case and hold the metal motor mount brackets to the front of the motor.

So I got underneath, pulled off the shifter linkage and then the engine support bar while supporting the engine with a transmission jack and discovered that the bolts simply worked their way out on the passenger side, but the driver's side was a much worse situation. On the top, the bolt sheared off. It left part of the bolt below the face of the boss, by maybe 2 mm. To remove it would require dropping the engine and removing the fan shroud, etc.

The worst part though wat that the boss on the bottom was about half missing. So basically at some point the bolt broke the case off as it came out. I'm assuming that the engine would require a full teardown to repair that.

So for now I'm running with one engine mount until I swap engines with the Subaru motor.

Anyone have this happen to them or any speculation on what may have caused this?

-Tony
Dave_Darling
The bolts get loose, back halfway out, the engine slams up and down on them... Sounds pretty straightforward to me!

--DD
Tom Perso
QUOTE (TonyAKAVW @ Jan 9 2006, 02:36 PM)
Anyone have this happen to them or any speculation on what may have caused this?

Barkin' the beenies for spectator points?

Tryin to grab 2nd gear rubber?

I've never experienced the mount bolts working their way out on any engine. Possibly they weren't torqued down enough. Regardless, I'd be real gentle with it until you pull the motor.

huh.gif

Tom
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.