Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gauges fogging up
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rjames
Anyone have problems with their guages fogging up? The ones in the center console are usually first, and then the ones in the dash (especially the left most one near the air vent). I also have problems getting decent heat out of my car as well. It's a stock 75 Dj 2.0 as far as I can tell. Any places I should be looking at specifically to make sure heat is still being directed in the right areas?

Is the fogging up due to my defroster maybe being hooked up backwards? (sorry, bad joke) chairfall.gif
Flat VW
QUOTE (rjames @ Jan 9 2006, 12:03 PM)

Is the fogging up due to my defroster maybe being hooked up backwards? (sorry, bad joke) chairfall.gif

Would that make it a refroster? confused24.gif

John w00t.gif
r_towle
hhmmm shoreline WA...think that might have something to do with it???

rich
Rand
It's the climate smile.gif But I'm up here too, and my gauges don't fog.

Sounds like you have moisture trapped inside your car. I would take anything out that could be holding moisture (carpets, etc.) and get everything dried out well.

Is it garaged, or does it see a lot of rain? Any leaks?

The heater system is capable of putting out plenty of heat. Sounds like you have a loose connection or bad hose or something along the way. Are the heat exchangers loose around the exhaust? Any loose connections along the path? Check everywhere there is a connection. Check all the flexible hoses. Pull the hose off at the front/top of the long in the cabin behind the speaker grill and turn on the fan... do you get hot air flow there? If not, the problem is between there and the HEs. If so, the problem is between there and the under-dash stuff.
pfierb
My Oil Temp guage in the center console fogs up after about a half hour of driving ...that is the only one ....it dosen't matter what the outside temp is summer or winter....also puzzled
Brando
When I re-do my dash guages I'll have to put some little packets of dessicant in there. No more fog!
Flat VW
QUOTE (pfierb @ Jan 9 2006, 12:31 PM)
My Oil Temp guage in the center console fogs up after about a half hour of driving ...that is the only one ....it dosen't matter what the outside temp is summer or winter....also puzzled

agree.gif
914werke
rjames aside from the fact its been pissing pretty hard hear latley I have the same problem and my 73 puts out bast oven like heat.
Oh and its totally kept dry. confused24.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (rjames @ Jan 9 2006, 12:03 PM)
Anyone have problems with their guages fogging up?

check under your floormats and behind the seats. you've got WATER in your car somewhere ...

wink.gif Andy
SGB
The guages just do that. MAybe, just maybe after years in Arizona it would stop. 911s do it too. I don't think it has anything to do with water in the car. Your heat exchangers are probably loose from the exhast pipes so a lot of the heated air is lost before reaching the cabin. There have been threads about in the vent fans to get that into the people zone, but that isn't a good idea. The forced fan system forces any leaky exhaust OUT, the vent fan pulls the exhaust into the cabin. Until I replaced mine, I used hose clamps to pull the (rusty) sheet meltal back into place around the exhaust pipes.
rjames
Still seems strange that the center console would fog up- unless there are lots of air leaks in the hose under the dash.

The car has been garaged since I bought it last summer, and only taken out when dry. Of course there is humidity here in the great (?) northwest...

I'll check hoses, exhaust etc. Thanks for the info all!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.