Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Advice on selling a car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nine14cats
I need advice.

I'm thinking of putting my 911 up for sale and paper ads, internet ads I've done before...so I will do that route again.

Anyone have experience selling a car on e-bay? Is it easy? hard? a mess?

What are your experiences?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Bill
Ferg
I've had good experience both buying and selling cars on ebay. I Sold a Motorhome and a Jeep, both times buyer flew into town and picked it up. And I bought my first teener in CA and flew out and picked it up. I got more than I thought I would for the jeep, and less than I wanted for the motorhome, I believe the key is a fabulous ad, check out www.californiaclassix.com for what I mean. This guy is a master at creating excitement about his product, and always gets a premium because of it. Good luck. Ferg.
Brad Roberts
Was that the guy who used "risky" photo's of women draped over the cars a few years back ?? that was hilarious.

B
Jenny
Didn't they advertise for headlights with some *other* headlights?

Jen
Ferg
Yep same guy, no women now though, I miss that. He always has interesting stuff for sale. Ferg.
Qarl
Yes.. the californiaclassix ads are pretty good marketing. The cars are hyped up like they are the last Porsche 9XX in existence, or they were found unmolested in the lost vault of Al Capone. Lot's of pictures, lots of adjectives to describe how "good" the car is...

They are still around (minus the scantily clad women)...

Take this ad...

The Rare And Beautiful 973 ½ Porsche 911T 2.4 CIS!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=2429664198

Here's a typical description...

>>Absolutely virginal, untouched, and rust free, with not an ounce of non-factory undercoating anywhere, the 911's undercarriage is of reference quality! Clearly, this 911 has always lived in a most benevolent climate, rarely seeing a drop of rain! <<
Ferg
Yep, and he already has what I would consider "the money" on that 911, but with the reserve not met and 5 days to go he will get his premium. He's not lying or anything, but some of his descriptions are a bit of a stretch laugh.gif
Bet you he didn't pay more than 11k for that car...

BTW I literaly grew up in a car dealership, my dad is partners in one, so by default I think like one a lot of the time.
anthony
"dipped deep into DUNLOP rubber all around"

Ohh baby, that is one hot 911.
biosurfer1
he does use very descriptive language in his ad's...however, it does look like a nice 911, and he does have all the documentation, which is a big plus for cars this old.
Ferg
To get back on track for bill, here's another way to look at it. Ebay is cheep advertising... List the car and set a wishful reserve. My local paper charges 70 bucks for a add for three weeks. Ebay is about the same, and if it does not meet the reserve you can relist once for free. Plus we are talking a world wide audience vs the local paper. My point is it can't hurt, and it gives you leads (ie people contacting you asking questions) that could very well turn into a sale after the auction is over. Assuming it did not meet the reserve.
Ferg.
Aaron Cox
a little OT- the epidimy (sp?) of a bad ebay ad:
Here

I love the pic- must be some kind of conversion laugh.gif
anthony
I'd post a car for sale in all the free places first. I'd use ebay as an attention getter, set a price slightly higher than I'd expect to get (at last on the first try) and stress in the ad that the auction will be ended early if a buyer shows up with cash in hand.

So what are the specs on the 911?
nine14cats
Thanks for the feedback on e-bay. Sounds as if I'll have to try it if I decide to sell the car.....now....how bad do I want to upgrade my race car.....

besides....if Brad decides to open a business that caters to boxster development...I could always play that way!

Bill
tryan
if you love her, sell her to someone that is worthy. my 99 cents worth.

try the local pca website for national attention in pano.
EdwardBlume
Go the national and local PCA route, then RennList. I think I know why you want to go the ebay route (930 right?- they are popular), but I think success depends on selling it the first time. You know what you think about a car you saw there just a week before.....

There's also, Excellence and Pano,
seanery
Ebay works well if you do these things:

1. Start the bidding at $1 - Low dollar bidders build up the # of bids and it is easier for someone to get wrapped up and excited about your car
2. Take LOTS of pictures, I mean lots
3. Be totally honest and truthfull about the condition of the car
4. Offer a buy-it-now of a price slightly more than you think it's worth (you'll be surprised!)
5. Take LOTS of pictures, GOOD ONES!!
6. 10 day auction ending on a Sunday or Monday Night around 7-8:30pm Pacific Time
7. Take LOTS of pictures, DETAILED ONES!
8. Recomend any bidder looks at car before bidding, so there won't be any surprises.

GOOD LUCK!!
Britain Smith
This is my favorite part of that ebay ad...

The modern Type 915 5-speed transmission provides its share of assistance when it comes to acceleration. Remember the sometimes outright scary days of the dog-leg 905?

Ohh...those scary days...

-Britain
jnp914
My experience from both buying and selling my '69 AMX on eBay:

have a camera full of digital pics ready to email to anyone that wants to see more.

Make the car available for someone local to inspect it on the buyer's behalf. The guy inspecting it is probably from a local club, and may be able to put more interested buyers onto it.

Stress it is for sale locally and you may end the auction at any time

Make contact with the highest bidders, in case the winner flakes out you might have another willing buyer. That is how I bought my AMX. First the knucklehead auction winner tried to sell it to me without him ever taking possesion. The seller wrote me and offered me the car since I was next highest, and he was getting jerked around.

Zap any bidders with hidden feedback.
Curvie Roadlover
QUOTE(acox914 @ Aug 27 2003, 12:51 PM)
a little OT- the epidimy (sp?) of a bad ebay ad:
Here

I love the pic- must be some kind of conversion laugh.gif

I can't believe this ad got bids. WEll, you know what P.T. Barnum said.........
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.