Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Home built tool cabinets
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
URY914
Now these are SWEET! ohmy.gif
URY914
I found this on a nother board I belong to.

He built them all by himself. wink.gif
URY914
If we only had the time and talent...
URY914
ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif
URY914
ohmy.gif ohmy.gif
URY914
shocked[1].gif
URY914
cool_shades.gif
URY914
biggrin.gif wacko.gif
URY914
beer.gif
URY914
wink.gif
URY914
smilie_pokal.gif
URY914
Here is the story

http://www.hobartwelders.com/mboard/showth...ead.php?t=15905

http://www.garagejunkies.net/showthread.php?t=1448

He has plans if you want to try some yourself.

Paul
TimT
that amazing stuff.. and Paul I know you have the talent and skillz to do all that

But is making that worth all your time?

Those cabinet look cool... but Lista and Moduline might be more economical in the long run. I have the minimalist modulines in my trailer LOL
Jeroen
Just when I am being proud of my recently bought 7 drawer toolchest you have to post sumptin' like this
You suck Paul!

At least I have a better looking model... HA!

user posted image
URY914
Here is some of the details

"Thanks again, guys!

I appreciate all of the comments!

They were drawn in 3D solids in ACAD Mechanical Desktop. I have Solidworks and ACAD Inventor at work and at home I have SW and ACAD2000, but ...well it is a long story - I still haven't switched from ACAD to SW . I will do so soon - I am just too fricking comfortable with ACAD and can fly through stuff in 3D. I design machines all day at work and the time constraint to make progress prohibits me from making the switch without hearing a bunch of bitching.

Let me fluff up the drawing a bit and I WILL either post it or E-mail it to whoever wants it. You guys want a cut list, too? I will separate the individual parts on the DWG. It won't include all of the drawer slides and stuff, but I will include the sizes for all of the parts.

Each cabinet took about one week with painting and I don't have an exact cost yet - without time (and without the brushed panels) I would estimate about $70 in tubing and about $120 in hardware. I am estimating that they actually cost me about $450 each but I could be way off. I will look at it near the end of the month. Tonight, I bagan another large storage cabinet - I was able to cut all of the tubing and angle, de-burr it all, weld-prep and weld together th basic frame and shelves in about 6 hours. Tomorrow night I should finish the structure and then prep for paint.

There are a few more pics and more details about the construction here:
http://www.hobartwelders.com/mboard...ead.php?t=15905

The door and drawers are faced with a clear coated, brushed aluminum composite panel. This stuff sells for almost as much as sheet aluminum but it's lighter and pre-finished with an industrial clearcoat from PPG. I got the sheets direct from the manufacturer several years ago - they were off-quality or edge damaged and were slated for scrap. I got a total of about 35 sheets of the stuff.

I would be happy to build whatever for whoever but these things would likely cost a bit to ship. I would have to come up with a price, but shooting from the hip, I would sell cabinets like what you see pictured for probably about $650 -$700 each.....that's a guess, but it would get someone some cabinets. I know it's a bit pricey but they take time to make - it's less than anything else out there that's comparable.

The drawers are riding on the cheapest drawer slides money can buy. I could not afford to buy so many of the ball sliders so I bought the kitchen style, self closing jobs and they work extremely well. The drawers open and close silently and effortlessly and stay in near perfect alignment. They are rated for (I think) 75 or 100 pounds per pair and you can get them for around $3 a set online or $6.50 at Lowes or HD. The ball slides are $14 a set on line or $18 at Lowes or Home Cheapo.

I am building a bunch of other crap now, also. On tap is a large tool box using the ball slides and 16Ga sheet metal drawers - I will post it up when it is done, but it's not a huge priority so it may be a few months...I have to start making some $$ to pay the bills.

Follow that link to the Hobart Forum and check out more details of the shop.

Scott"
URY914
A few odds and ends...
URY914
welder.gif
TINCAN914
Very nice... I wish I had the ability..
URY914
I think the tops look too thin.

I use a solid core wood door for the top of my project table and a hollow metal door for my bench top. smash.gif
hmeeder
I like all his toys (and a hee-uge garage to put them in.) smiley_notworthy.gif
TravisNeff
QUOTE (URY914 @ Jan 9 2006, 07:24 PM)
If we only had the time and talent...

Hey, I do! Just not a lot of either, LOL wacko.gif
Gint
Those are kick ass! And do-able. idea.gif
URY914
Damn, I wish I had never seen this!
I went to sleep last night thinking about how I could build one.
And now I'm sketching one out at my desk at work. headbang.gif

I've already started a materials list laugh.gif

Paul

Joe Ricard
Yea got to have a big garage to put that stuff.
nomore9one4
Yeah, But I think drawer #1073 is slightly crooked! confused24.gif nothing like shoty workmanship! w00t.gif
carr914
Hope I don't break up a good dream Paul, But you should come over to my house so I can pick your brains for some ideas for my garage. I'm ordering my lift probably on Monday (3-4 weeks till I get it, then FOOD & BEVERAGES for Tampa 914club members help in putting it together) I've got too many toolboxs in there so it's going to be tight in there

T.C.
Lou W
Very Nice smilie_pokal.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.