Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Getting the engine bay ready
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mharrison
Well, I chiseled out my old rusty passenger side engine shelf today. I told my friend Tommy (another board member) that I was giving up, leaving it as it, and priming my engine compartment Sunday.

Tommy, I didn't have the heart to do it...... But, I came home and chiseled out the old rusted shelf. So this weekend (at the latest, maybe sooner) we'll be seeing if I can still weld! My new shelf from Restoration designs is so pretty. I hope I don't blow holes in it!

Then there is the new battery box and support. Pretty.....Now the old battery box is a homemade abomination from the PO. It has to go. There is also a not so pretty, but structurally sound Hell Hole repair from the PO. I'll be cleaning that up a bit as well....you know....while I'm there!

Anyway, weld it let it cool, grind it, prime it, and paint it this weekend is what my plans are!

At any rate, I've got a mild case of DWD....but I can't leave RUST! I CAN'T DO IT!

heh..heh...

user posted image

user posted image
mharrison
wow, I guess I need to fix the date on my camera!!!!
Poor-sche Lover
You call that battery box an abomination? My PO decided to wedge a section of 4 x 4 post of oak into the battery support tray. No kidding!
mharrison
Well, at least you could guarantee it would be Rust Free!!!
watsonrx13
I'm glad to see you're taking your time to do this correctly. You shouldn't have too much trouble with the welding, just make certain the shelf fits correctly before the welding. Here's a link to my website that shows how I installed the engine shelf and the battery tray.

Good luck and take your time.... smile.gif

-- Rob
FlatSix
Where did you buy the engine shelf from?

Don't ask why I need to know... sad.gif

Andy
tommy914
Good to see you made some progress. biggrin.gif

let me know if you need an extra set of hands.

Tommy

jr91472
mharrison,

You and I are living parallel lives. I am at the exact same spot (old shelf removed) with the exact same parts. Yes, Restoration Design rules. aktion035.gif

Sounds like you will finish before me though.

Good luck!!!!
mharrison
QUOTE (jr91472 @ Jan 11 2006, 02:30 PM)
Sounds like you will finish before me though.

Ahah....you don't know me very well....those are just my plans wink.gif

Seriously. I really plan\hope\pray to get primer in the engine bay this weekend. But I think paint will be a stretch....

and Andy...I got the parts from Restoration Design ant they are beautiful.
http://www.restoration-design.com/
Call him up. Leave a message. He WILL call you back. Anybody putting out parts of this quality for the 914 NEEDS to be kept in business.
flesburg
Before you do all of that work, make sure you VERY carfully inspect the PO's hell hole repair. Looks "loose" along one edge. Now is the time to replace that "patch" with the proper fix. Not in a year or two.

My opinion....
mharrison
QUOTE (flesburg @ Jan 11 2006, 07:22 PM)
Before you do all of that work, make sure you VERY carfully inspect the PO's hell hole repair. Looks "loose" along one edge. Now is the time to replace that "patch" with the proper fix. Not in a year or two.

Oh, I'll be inspecting the patch cloesly with a grinder disk and a wire wheel. If I'm not comfortable with it, changes will be made..... All the welds look good up close though...solid metal on either side and a good bead.

I just hate that 1/2 the engine bay is covered with the truck bed liner. It's been a bitch to get off everywhere else....
FlatSix
Following mharrisons recommendations I have placed my order for a "new" engine shelf.

Very good service so far. Really helpful guy, he certainly does return your calls. aktion035.gif

I'll post when it arrives next week.

Andy
McMark
Ahhhh, another joins the ranks of the Bedliner-Sucks™ club!!!! smilie_pokal.gif
pnewman
I am just about to start the removal of my hell hole rust and bad battery tray etc. I have accumulated the parts but have honestly been hesitant.

Thanks For the pics guys! biggrin.gif

I feel more confident having seen your work to procede w/ mine. boldblue.gif pray.gif

I have a Lincoln Electric welder ARgon / wire fed. Just wondering the settings. What metal gauges or " thicknesses should I practice w/ before hitting the repair?

thanks a bunch. PETE
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.