Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I cut my baby
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
hmeeder
Well I cut my car today. After about a half hour of anxiety over slicing the fenders for the new wheels, I finally grimaced and started chopping.

BTW this is totally temporary while I figure out my fender options and make a decision. Probably FG standard GT flares, or possibly full FG flared fenders (but which?) without flares up front. I'm so conflicted! Also these tires are not the final size that are going to end up on the vehicle. The rears currently are 215/60/15s on 8 inch wheels, but the track tires will be 225/50/15s. Lower profile. Car feels weird sitting this tall.

I kind of like the look of the wheels on the car, These are beefy enough. The car no longer looks like a toy.

The fronts look like they rub, but they clear the fender, barely. AX on Sunday!

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image
Aaron Cox
you may have just hosed the posibility of GT flares.... you may have trimmed past where they adhere sad.gif unless you go to a full qtr.....
hmeeder
you may have just hosed the posibility of GT flares.... you may have trimmed past where they adhere  unless you go to a full qtr.....

It may look like it, but I have a set of flares for a test fit and they don't. I was careful not to screw myself on that count (this time at least!)
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (hmeeder @ Jan 9 2006, 09:56 PM)
you may have just hosed the posibility of GT flares.... you may have trimmed past where they adhere  unless you go to a full qtr.....

It may look like it, but I have a set of flares for a test fit and they don't. I was careful not to screw myself on that count (this time at least!)

good! w00t.gif
eeyore
Looks good to me!

How did you figure the center point for the radius of the cut?

What tires? Victoracers, Ecstas or some other?

Points-wise, I either get 205 V710s or 225 Victo/Ecsta

hijacked.gif
KaptKaos
Ok, those rims look like Mahles, but seem to be wider in the rear. Are those stock Mahles or something different?

BTW: Looks like you made some nice cuts. Can't wait to see the finished product.
Series9
If you use metal flares, you still have plenty of metal to work with:

Aaron Cox
QUOTE (KaptKaos @ Jan 9 2006, 10:26 PM)
Ok, those rims look like Mahles, but seem to be wider in the rear. Are those stock Mahles or something different?

BTW: Looks like you made some nice cuts. Can't wait to see the finished product.

i think theyve been widened
hmeeder
Check this link or my blog for info on the rims. They are a custom marriage of Pedrini centers and Enkei rims. Handbuilt by some dude in Florida. They are also 5 pounds apiece lighter than the steelies I have been running on. Can you say unsprung weight?

Halloween and rims

Cloudbuster wrote:
How did you figure the center point for the radius of the cut?

I used a very advanced and sophisticated system of templates, a laser compass and metatlwork protractor. Or a sharpie and string from the center of the rim. Can't remember which.

I will more than likely run the 225/50/15 V710s, but it may be a few months before I have to make that decision.

Mark, are you going to be there Sunday? I've called a few times to see if I can lend a hand with your motor project. Give a shout if I can help.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.