Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rust repair help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
spunone
Starting on rust repair lower windsheild pillar both sides have rust and pitting along with small holes under roof sail panel,. Do I need to cut out the pitting and weld in new pcs or is there something to kill the rust and fill in the pitts .Must be compatable with car paint since this is on the outside.Thanks screwy.gif
Bartlett 914
I am currently replacing the windshield cowl. I thought there was a small amount of surface rust. The windshield was broken so I removed it. I found there was a lot more rust under the windshield seal. This can be a trouble spot. Water collects under the trim and quietly rusts away. I am not trying to scare you but that is what I found. Removing the trim is a little tricky without damage but it can be done. I 'm sure you can find info on site for this. Ultimately you will need to be the judge if you are going to take this plunge and go this far. I think most will agree that welding in metal is better than fiberglass or other solutions.

Lots of luck!

Mark
spunone
Thanks I have some rust but not that bad as your pic maybe sand out what I can and por patch to smooth? what ya think?>?
wertygrog
hmmm the area below the sail panel has rotted through on my 74, can i just chop the section out and put a new one in? or is there an easier solution? What is behind that crease where the metal goes vertical for the sail panel.

brent
r_towle
here is my humble opinion...

The windshield frame...if its not to bad...wire brush on a drill or grinder, phosphoric acid to kill the rust...

Then you could either weld and grind to built it back up, or bondo.

the sail panel...

Behind it is foam, in the vertical section...the targa bar is several layers, with a corrugated section in the middle to add strength...

The factory would put foam in there, between the middle layer and the outer panel...the foam traps water and then it rusts...

I would but the sail panel patch from restoration design and cut out the panel, remove the foam for ever, and weld in the new panel.

For rust you want the following stuff

Wire wheels on a drill for light work, a grinder for more aggresive work.

Some sort of phosphric acid rust treatment..navel jelly is one, there are lots more..

Some sort of auto paint compatible primer..

Possibly some POR 15, or the metal ready product as well..

And of course, bondo..gotta have that...

Good luck.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.