Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dizzy issues
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
echocanyons
OK first off 74, 1.8l 4,050 dizzy, carbs facet fuel pump

I was driving home from today and the car just dies, This has happened before due to coil "ejection", having an aftermarket blue coil and the mount is too big so the coil falls out of the mount and the wires come off, I had remedied this before by tightening the female connections coming to the coil and wedging something in the coil mount to make it tighter(I know prolly not the best solution)

So here is where it gets messy, one of the relays connected to the coil that has an association with the ignition switch and the facet feul pump fell off and I dont know if I put it back on the wrong post or what but I continue to drive home and get to my street and it dies again. I coasted to my driveway and jumped out to look and see what was going on, I pop the engine lid and notice the before-mentioned wire is smoking and had lost most of its plastic cover. I thought I must have put it on the wrong post so I fix it back up and start it to see how it goes...
Well no start but I am pretty sure that now I really put it on the wrong post because my condenser-to-coilwire is fried and so are my points and there is much more smoke mostly coming from my dizzy.
I am pretty sure when I initially put the coil back on the wire associated with my fuel pump was grounding on the engine block and thats why the wire was fried.

So the Q is, can I just replace the points and the condenser and the fried wires or am I looking at a new coil and dizzy too? How bout the rotor?

Is this not a fuseable link why didnt a fuse blow?

BTW I know it was a dumbass thing to do but it has been a long day and my brain was on autopilot so please be kind.splat.gif

Once again thanks for the wisdom!!
TheCabinetmaker
I have seen this exact thing three times in the last 8 months on three different cars. The coil falls off and shorts on the engine block. It fries the points, condenser, coil, and in one case, also destroyed the alternator and ignition switch. Smoke coming from the condenser wire indicates being hooked up to the wrong terminal on the coil, but would fry as soon as it was powered up.
Brad Roberts
You should be able to replace burnt parts and that section of wire that fried.

Please tell me your not running the fuel pump off the coil.

No fuseable links in a 914 (that I'm aware of).

I have had them rotate in the mount and the + side touch the engine tin. Not good.

B
echocanyons
Good to know Im not the only one this has happened too.

Brad, I didnt wire the facet myself but I do know that I could hear it click when the now fried wire was connected to the coil and it stopped when it was disconnected.

Where should or could it be connected to?

BTW the Fuel pump has been relocated to the front of the car.
Brad Roberts
Hook it up to the original wires (so it is fused and has a relay running it) It may be there already. I would be surprised if somebody ran a wire from the coil all the way to the front... but it is possible. I have seen worse.

If your trying to get down the rode... put everything back together and wrap electrical tape around the connectors several times.. This will keep it from touching anything metal (until it wears thru the tape).

Label the wires this time with 1 and 15 so you know which ones go where. Stock wiring has the thicker of the two wires going to POS. The condenser and tach wire (thinner of the two from the main harness) go to Neg.

Convert it to Pertronix.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.