Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bottom screws on rocker panels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rjames
Trying to get them off, but none of them are budging. Vice grips and DW40 not helping, just chewing the heads up. Can I drill these out without ruining the 'screw recepticals?' blink.gif (sorry, I'm tired...) Although I'm assuming that the reason I can't get them to move is because they're rusted in there. Flat-head screws suck, btw.

When I do get these out, and assuming I have an outer long that only needs minor rust repairs, how do I go about refastening the under side of the rocker panels?

Thanks!

~Robert
Allan
I would soak them down with some pb blaster and let the sit overnight.
Bertus
I had to result in using a screw extractor. Had 1 on each side break during removal though. Hopefully nothing too bad lurking under there! ohmy.gif
Lou W
I had the same problem with mine, I sprayed them with M1 All Purpose Lubricant once a day for three days, then used vice grips. If they break off, you'll have to drill and tap new threads.
tat2dphreak
dremel is what one on each side took... I hated to do it, but it had to be...
Dave_Darling
WD-40 is not a penetrating oil. Get yourself some PB Blaster or Aero Kroyl. Spray the screw, then thump it with a hammer a couple'a times. No, not hard enough to move the sheetmetal around, but enough that the screw knows it's been hit!

Come back the next day, repeat.

Come back the following day, repeat.

If that sucker doesn't move the fourth day (USE THE RIGHT SIZE SCREWDRIVER!!!), hit it with a torch!

--DD
Lou W
WD-40 smells gud. wink.gif
bmcwilli

The active ingredient in PB Plaster is iodine. It's got extremely high capillary action.

If'n ya don't need the aerosol , save some bucks and use pure iodine.

I like PB Blaster, but if I don't need to spray it, I use iodine.
Hammy
I got impatient and resorted to drilling mine out... Luckily the new screws fit in just fine.
brp914
I used a hammer type impact driver with success. btw, pure iodine?! Iodine is a crystalline solid. what the ?
flesburg
agree.gif with brp914.

One of the handiest tool I have is a hand held impact driver, which can be fitted with various bits (flat and phillips screwdrivers and even allen sockets). You position it and twist the body in the direction you want it to move and strike the plunger on the end with a hammer. You may break the screw or bolt, but will not strip it out.

Mine is about a 25 year old Craftsman.
GWN7
QUOTE (flesburg @ Jan 11 2006, 06:45 PM)
agree.gif with brp914.

One of the handiest tool I have is a hand held impact driver, which can be fitted with various bits (flat and phillips screwdrivers and even allen sockets). You position it and twist the body in the direction you want it to move and strike the plunger on the end with a hammer. You may break the screw or bolt, but will not strip it out.

Mine is about a 25 year old Craftsman.

Yep, I've got one too....works good
VaccaRabite
QUOTE (Dave_Darling @ Jan 10 2006, 07:54 PM)
WD-40 is not a penetrating oil. Get yourself some PB Blaster or Aero Kroyl. Spray the screw, then thump it with a hammer a couple'a times. No, not hard enough to move the sheetmetal around, but enough that the screw knows it's been hit!

Come back the next day, repeat.

Come back the following day, repeat.

If that sucker doesn't move the fourth day (USE THE RIGHT SIZE SCREWDRIVER!!!), hit it with a torch!

--DD

Using the right sized screw driver is very important. If you have them, for slotted screws use hollow ground screwdrivers. Much more surface contact for the head of the screw, meaning more grip and less chance of slipping out.

Zach

rjames
Unfortunately they looked like a wrench was taken to them before and a couple of them are really chewed up. Hope I don't have to drill them out.

I like the idea of an impact driver....nothing like a good reason to buy a new tool! cool.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.