Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: mc mark/raby kit ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sk8kat1
I am new to 914's and I love the car but I am thinking bit more power is always a good thing... right?! currently stock 2.0L w/ a k&n filter and bursh (sp?) exhaust , FI , recent rebuild( per PO)

the 2056 kit says it s/b approx 125+/- HP how much of a differance is that really for a 914...

any sugestions on other possible good ways to gain power and not screw up the reliablity of the car

5000.00 is pretty good deal for a new engine but that is what I paid for the car it's self . not sure if they are any good alternate ways to get some more good power from the car before I possibly jump into an engine that maybe I would happy with some other well placed mods.

Bleyseng
Hella difference....then add 205x50 tires and its one quick car.

Stock 2.0l put out 'bout 90hp on a good day.

A 2056 running carbs 'bout 125hp soo that's quite a bit of hp difference. popcorn[1].gif
seanery
as light as our cars are HP upgrades make a big difference - even in small increases.
rick 918-S
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Jan 10 2006, 08:56 PM)

A 2056 running carbs 'bout 125hp soo that's quite a bit of hp difference. popcorn[1].gif

agree.gif Your stock 2.0 on it's best day was around 90hp. If you can get anywhere near 125 hp you will know it! Jake and McMark are the go to team. clap.gif
sk8kat1
ok I know this gonna sound dumb -- you said add 205's and it would be quicker --- I have no idea what stock tire size is.. I have 195 x50 on now.. should this tire make it perform better than the 205's ?

sorry I am coming from calssic motorcycle background , some of these things are lost on me.... slap.gif
anthony
Also figure that a tired stock 2.0L engine these days is probably putting out 75-80hp so you're looking at a 40-50hp gain.

I became a 2056 believer after getting a ride in another club members car. The car pulled hard like crazy - like it was a different car. The car would also chirp the tires with a fast shift to 2nd gear. My stock 2.0 couldn't make the tires chirp in 1st gear!

TROJANMAN
the smaller diameter tire is going to turn more rpm's

but you already have a 50 series tire, so you may not see a difference.

i just went from a 205/60 to a 205/50 and the car definitely feels quicker. :driving
but highway cruising is a bit louder dry.gif
Trevorg7
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Jan 10 2006, 08:56 PM)

28% difference, no?

biggrin.gif

anthony
Stock tire size is 165SR15. I think the closest modern commonly available tire size (same diameter) would be 195-65-15. I had 195-60-15s when I got my car and I just fit 205-50-15s. I honestly don't like the 205-50s. I think they are too small for the gearing of the car. I find I have to shift a lot more and I don't like the higher rpm freeway cruising. They are great for autocrossing though.
Jake Raby
Remember that the stock HP numbers from the factory are Din HP, not SAE..... The 100HP number we see, I have never seen on my dyno from a 100% stock engine- best I have seen was 88HP!

The combo that I have set Mark up with has seen 125HP on my dyno many times as a complete RAT engine...

Thats a 25%+ power increase and yes it's notable...

Now- don't ever make it a point to only look at peak HP and torque values.... The kit Mark has is increased by as much as 40% in torque between 2-4,500 RPM over stock and has a much flatter torque curve and broader powerband to boot... The smoothness and crispness of the power is notable in the first 100' that you drive the car.

The stock engine was so misconfigured for smog and to run well in every climate, all over the world that the boost the kit gives it in the efficiency department is huge- even wiithout a displacement increase.
Trevorg7
The more Jake types the more I learn. Makes my want to turn in a perfectly good, albeit slow, 1.7 for a 1911 or 2056.

T
Bleyseng
QUOTE (Trevorg7 @ Jan 10 2006, 09:54 PM)
The more Jake types the more I learn. Makes my want to turn in a perfectly good, albeit slow, 1.7 for a 1911 or 2056.

T

Its a great engine upgrade without breakin da bank!
JmuRiz
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Jan 10 2006, 09:45 PM)
Now- don't ever make it a point to only look at peak HP and torque values.... The kit Mark has is increased by as much as 40% in torque between 2-4,500 RPM over stock and has a much flatter torque curve and broader powerband to boot... The smoothness and crispness of the power is notable in the first 100' that you drive the car.

agree.gif
I just did some work on my A4 and it didn't really help the top end more than 5hp (on a 3500lb car) but it feels tons better. All due to the better power curve in the mid-rpm range.
Just think what it'd do in a car changine the power:weight ratio from ~ 1:23 to 1:16.8 biggrin.gif
lagunero
As Jake would say, the McMark/Jake Kit is a great "combo". Mark puts a lot of time and care into everything he does and it shows.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.