Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: www.importmotor.com
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mbjarts
I was wondering if anyone ever delt with or puchased a motor @ www.importmotor.com?

If this is in the wrong post let me know (I'm new to posting).

Thanks
Aaron Cox
search... and run.... ohmy.gif
Trekkor
run

I guess I missed the last thrash-a-thon. Who are these people that are able to stay in business?

KT
Trekkor
I don't remember, but if was to give money to a builder, I would want to know:

1. How many motors have you built?
2. Are your customers happy?
3. How long will it take to build?
4. Are you offering a month/mile warranty in writing?

All fair questions when it comes to parting with your green. I get 'em all the time. If you are a straight shooter it should bother you.

Prolly cut through most of them with these questions.
If they try and side step or get defensive...You get the idea.

Again, I dont know this company wink.gif

KT
mbjarts
Sorry - Should have searched first.
I just read enough to answer my question.

And I see I haven't been the first to ask.

Thanks,
mbjarts
GWN7
There are no bad questions...unless you ask what to do when you spill WD40 on your paint wink.gif biggrin.gif
Trekkor
I did a search, too.

All talk... dry.gif

Nobody I saw had actually used one of these "other" motors.

I saw a lot of bad mouthing and anti-mass-production motor talk.

What type four motor outta Germany wasn't mass produced?

I'm sorry, it's just trash talk the way I see it.

I did see one thread where Brad was backing a $2100 motor on some level.

I don't really care. I think it's funny. laugh.gif

KT
Tom Perso
Yeah, geeze - they're just silly type 4's anyways. smile.gif

Every Type 4 owner knows that a flat cam or a dropped valve seat is just waiting over the horizon...

laugh.gif

*As I build yet another - Type 4*

hide.gif

Tom (All in fun)
tat2dphreak
IIRC, someone here did buy one, and had to send it back 2+ times... and it still wasn't right
Trekkor
Where's that :bitingtongue: smiley? I need it...

KT
Brad Roberts
Run.

I cracked open one of their engines and they asked "why" I would do something like that.

It had 914 2.0 heads and BUS pistons. It would have never run correctly. It looked nice.

B
dinomium
RUN
I did buy one, it had bus heads and chunks of cooling fins broken off... Not what I exspected when I called...
Now I know better! And my red car has been sitting ever since!
Joe Ricard
QUOTE (Brad Roberts @ Jan 11 2006, 08:18 AM)
Run.

I cracked open one of their engines and they asked "why" I would do something like that.

It had 914 2.0 heads and BUS pistons. It would have never run correctly. It looked nice.

B

Hmm, you mean my car runs like a scaulded dog because I did it wrong?

Anyone who has ever ridden in or had the opportunity to drive my car will tell you that motor pulls hard.

Bus Pistons and 2.0L heads. somewhere over 40,000 screaming miles.. WTF.gif
Brad Roberts
Sorry Joe. Didnt know that was you. Last time I checked it was the guy out of LA who doesnt build engines.. he subs everything out and doesnt know his ass from a hole in the ground.

Joe,

care to explain how you get a min. of 8.5:1 in your engines with bus pistons?

B
Brad Roberts
Joe, let me understand this:

Is it YOU "Importmotor.com" ?? or did you buy an engine from them?

I'll back you, I'm not backing the company.

Anyone who has ever ridden in or had the opportunity to drive my car will tell you that motor pulls hard

Joe, when you say this... have you ridden in a 115hp stock injected 2.0? has anyone who has ridden in you car also ridden in a 115hp 2.0 ? If they come from worn out 1.7's/1.8's.. it is bound to feel better.

B
Joe Ricard
1st that's not me. I build motors for me and VERY close friends.

I am just an old hot rodder that has tweaked a 914 2.0L whilst on a budget.

I think my compression ratio quote is remaining from a different motor combination I was running. However, I am running pretty good compression ratio in this motor... need to figure it out again. .037 deck hieght and heads are not shaved. So you can figure it out.

86B with some head work and tweaked 40 IDF's.

as to faster than ????? well both other 914 owers thought thier 2.0L D-jet cars were fast. I drove them and they were both no slouch by any means.

When each drove and rode in my car they were mighty impressed. My comparision is my car is WAY faster than any other 4 banger 914 I've driven Cept Jake's which is well you know Pretty effin scary.
Brando
QUOTE (Brad Roberts @ Jan 11 2006, 09:19 AM)
Sorry Joe. Didnt know that was you. Last time I checked it was the guy out of LA who doesnt build engines.. he subs everything out and doesnt know his ass from a hole in the ground.

Joe,

care to explain how you get a min. of 8.5:1 in your engines with bus pistons?

B

Well, that's how it is now.

6 years ago it was only a few guys who would do engines. I wanted a 2.3L for my Ghia, drove out to L.A. to meet the dude. I can't remember his name for the life of me. I remember him being one of the co-authors for How to Rebuild Your Volkswagen Air-Cooled Engine.

Taken from the acknowledgements...
Foremost is the gang at Southwest Import Rebuilders.  An unsuspecting Rick Sadler[b], [b]Richard Briano and Carol Winell gave me carte blanche in this VW rebuilding factory.  When the strobes quit flashing and the notebooks were filled, these folks, especially rick, had endured a marathon questioning and cheerfully dragged parts in front of the camera for months on end.

At least, they used to be reputable. The guy I spoke to was Rick, and he was a cool old guy. It used to be three guys on benches, not an assembly line thing.
Aaron Cox
i think the guys name was tom w....

Steve stromberg bought kevins motor from tom..... and sold it to kevin..... ( i think*)
rhodyguy
must be a dif tom i think. stromberg's tom was a neighbor as i remember, or was told. whoever the guy who built the onion was, he certainly was not knowledgeable enough to write a book about it. i've come to the conclusion (some time ago), that i may not have even recieved tom's engine. i don't know. now i have a headache and am heading for the tums.

k
Aaron Cox
hijacked.gif

i think jason at otto's was the one that mentioned the "tom" that setve got it from worked at import motor.....

icon8.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.