Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 18 days........
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lincoln
3 licks to the center of a tootsieroll pop, and 18 days to break a porsche heheh
thought i busted a cv yesterday mornin, luckily it turned out to just be the bolts came loose and came out. 3 of 4 holding the cv shaft on drivers side are bent, so looks like ill be getting new cv bolts and retapping the holes to be sure they are clean and have good threads, probly go one size up from stock to make sure i get GOOD threading

was kinda nice being able to get it fixed and back rolling in 30 minutes tho- plus i may have stumbled into a secret parts hoarder here locally who has about a bajillion vw parts that could be potentially usable
type47
QUOTE (lincoln @ Jan 11 2006, 04:25 AM)
probly go one size up from stock to make sure i get GOOD threading

errrr..... is this really an option? i didn't know they offered oversize CV bolts...
lincoln
meaning ill retapp em say the bolts are 10 mm- will retap next size up if i can- or convert them to sae 5/16 and use grade 8 bolts
lapuwali
You'll want to use cap screws (Allen head). The boot is pretty close to the holes, and I doubt normal bolt heads will fit.

If the threads in the drive flanges aren't messed up, just get another set of stock type bolts. They're readily available. Get new Schnorr washers, too (the slightly cupped ones with the ribs), so they don't come loose again. If the threads ARE messed up, get another set of drive flanges. Oversized bolts aren't likely to fit into the CVs, and are totally unnecessary.
McMark
agree.gif Why go bigger when everything stock works great? Yours just weren't tightened correctly or were reused too many times. Plus, how do you know Grade 8 isn't a step down from what's already in there?
messix
LOC TITE!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.