Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Voltometer Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DougC
Hey guys I have a VDO voltometer that i will be installing in my 914.. well, last night I thought I'd make sure it worked before installing it and it would only show 8 volts. The "experiment" was that I just held the thing in my hand and attached a wire from the + side to the + side of my (new-ish) Optima battery, and a wire from the - on the voltometer to the - on my battery. The needle would just bearly bounce off it's resting place to about 8 volts. Did I test it right? Could my car actually be getting me around day-in/day-out on only 8 volts? The Optima is basically new, only had it for a few months but hit the starter a whole bunch trying to get my car to start when I installed my engine. Been driving the car daily for about 2 weeks now.

Doug C
SLITS
Charged battery should show 12 VDC approximate....try your guage with a battery charger....If it still shows 8VDC, the guage is in error....if it shows 12 -14 VDC, the Optima is less than optimum.
914GT
Your battery is probably OK and about 12V (measured with engine, lights, etc. off) if it's been starting the past 2 weeks. If the engine cranks for a long time and doesn't start that's usually a fuel or ignition problem. Chances are the voltmeter is out of calibration or defective. The only way to really check it is to get a digital voltmeter and compare its reading at the same measurement points to your VDO meter.
ClayPerrine
Bring it with you on Sat and we will compare it with my DVOM.
DougC
Thanks for the advice guys, I will try both..

Doug C
bd1308
if you're getting around town, it is NOT at 8 volts.

trust me, you cant do anythign with 8 volts....even the FI cuts out at around 10...

BTDT.

b
DougC
Will Do Clay.. and thanks for the confirmation Bd1308.

Doug C
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Jan 11 2006, 11:49 AM)
if you're getting around town, it is NOT at 8 volts.

trust me, you cant do anythign with 8 volts....even the FI cuts out at around 10...

BTDT.

b

HIs is CIS on a six. If there is enough voltage to run the fuel pump and the igniton, it will keep running.

But I do agree, 8 volts willl not be enough to run the fuel pump, it couldn't maintain the correct fuel pressure.
bd1308
well clay arguably the coil wouldnt recieve enough input voltage so the strength of the spark would be pitiful as well...

the whole CIS/carbs deal is yet another thing, an afterthought on my part.

and arguably the low-power facet pump could probably run with a lower voltage but still 8 would be pushing it...

b
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.