Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Painting engine compartment
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Hammy
Has anyone ever painted the engine bay a different color than the body? Say for example orange body, black engine bay. If so, any pics?
Andyrew
Generally you go with a bright color, such as white, so you can see things in there if they fall or whatnot.

What color are you painting your car? I always thought mismatched paint was cheezy...
Allan
I think that if you are painting the car a dark color and want to do the engine compartment in black, it looks okay. If it's a light color I definitely preper body color.

nick mironov
I did both the engine and front compartments in POR15 paint, POR15 primer, and a final coat of Heruliner truck bed liner.
nick mironov
Front compartment...
Hammy
Well I want to do something similar to what Nick here did.
Coat the engine compartment in a POR-15 paint so I can feel better driving in the wet weather.. Orange body, btw.
Jenny
Orange and black would look good, but like Andrew said, good luck finding any parts that you drop down there.

Maybe paint all your engine parts orange... idea.gif

Jen
jhadler
I cleaned the engine bay, ground down the rusty spots, did a heavy treatment of POR-15 in the hell hole corners, then painted the engine bay gloss light grey with a few rattle cans. The car body is dark grey.

I chose light grey, so I could -see- if there was any oil spillage, and could track it to the source. I chose a gloss finish so I could actually wipe the oil off without it soaking in quite so easilly.

-Josh2
Hammy
I forgot the part about looking for oil or any parts... hmmm.
I just want to paint the engine bay, engine mounts and suspension ears and all the stuff in there with rust proof paint so I won't have to worry about getting it wet.
Jenny
That's easy. Don't drive it in the rain or in a car wash. I mean, it's Modesto, not portland. rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif

Jen
Andyrew
Actually I painted mine in por15 and then in chevy orange (damn close to pheonic red)

do everything right and the paint sticks fine.
Hammy
Where'd you get the paint?
Maybe I can coat everything with POR-15 and then try and match the orange?
Andyrew
What color orange are you going with?

I only painted my batt tray with por 15 and anything that previously had rust.

I'll get you a pic.
Andyrew
This pic is 3 years old... biggrin.gif
user posted image

All the rust taken away.. Por15 in the longs, and everywhere the sun dont shine.

Then... paint!
user posted image

user posted image

wow... I almost forgot I did that! That was a long.... time ago.
Aaron Cox
why didnt you remve the rubber? spank.gif

anyway....
ive seen a LINE X'd professionally applied bed liner sprayed into the engine bay of a teener. was a nice light gray.
easy to see dropped parts.... and completely rust proof and water tight.

neat idea.
AA
Hammy
I'm not repainting the whole car, just planning ahead for when the engines out. I wanna keep it cheap too.. how was it painted? With a spray gun thing or...
Allan
The way I did mine was cut out and replace all of the badly rusted metal, wire brush all of the remaining surface rust and adhesive from the firewall mat. Cleaned, cleaned and cleaned some more with Hotsy and Simple Green. Cleaned some more, then hit all the bare metal with etching primer and then went over everything with regular primer. Light sanding where I could reach and then found a VW silver that matched in rattle cans and painted.

Looked gud.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.