Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 throttle cable
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
racergreg
Ok, the 6 is bolted in (a very cool CIS 2.4). Everything is working out great, I have the oil plumbing going in fine. NOW, the question is how to connect the throttle cable. confused24.gif

The stock connection (one of those little balls mounted on a bell crank) is carefully wedged in between the velocity stacks and the CIS pump unit, only a couple of inches from the rear sheet metal. In the 914, the ball needs to be pulled toward the BACK of the car.

From what I can tell, the cable will need to be mounted behind the sheet metal, and then go through a hole to the linkage.

Can anyone share some ideas or pictures? I would really appreciate it. beerchug.gif
brant
Greg,

here is my version.
close to stock -6 except the stock version screwed into the tranny a couple of inches forward of mine.

most people make a 3rd version that bolts onto the tranny a little forward of mine too.

brant
My car doesn't happen to have tinwork..
but most cars should/do and then would have a hole in the rear tin for rod to pass through:
GeorgeRud
The rod to the transmission is just like that on a 911 (since it's cable comes from the other end of the transmission in a 911), so the geometry is the same. The bell crank is unique to the 914-6, but the pictures are quite representative.

The 914-4 and 914-6 throttle cables are different though, so you should use the correct one.
john rogers
On my race car we did not use the stock bellcrank and linkage, but used a 4 cylinder cable and made a small aluminum bracket at the back of the engine and the cable routes under the engine and in the rear sheetmetal. The cable pulls towards the rar of the car with mine. A lot less moving parts and those ball joints that tend to pop loose at times.
racergreg
Thanks so much, guys, that is perfect, just what I needed! smilie_pokal.gif
brant
I should have mentioned John's way too. Lots of people make their own bracket and avoid the bellcrank with good success.

Also, regarding the -4 and the -6 cables
We made a cable end that screws onto a -4 cable but still has the ball connector on it.

since is screws on, it can be reused on other -4 cables.
Its much cheaper to buy -4 cables, and much easier to borrow -4 cables at the track.

brant
thesey914
this method might make the cable bind..
Aaron Cox
mike Z had a good no belcrank linkage on his six...

similar to a four banger setup
brant
QUOTE (GeorgeRud @ Jan 11 2006, 03:17 PM)
The bell crank is unique to the 914-6, but the pictures are quite representative.

Just for clarification. With the mounting point we used, our bellcrank is neither 911 or 914. We cut the original brazing and then readjusted the angles of the levers to fit our application and needs, before reattaching them.
Dave_Darling
The Bird carries a bolt-on bellcrank setup that uses the stock (cheaper) four-cylinder cable. It is fairly similar to the other bellcrank setup pictured earlier.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopca...x_pg1.htm#item5

user posted image

--DD
rick 918-S
QUOTE (Dave_Darling @ Jan 11 2006, 09:50 PM)
The Bird carries a bolt-on bellcrank setup that uses the stock (cheaper) four-cylinder cable. It is fairly similar to the other bellcrank setup pictured earlier.

user posted image

--DD

Link says no longer available. confused24.gif
914Timo
this method might make the cable bind..

It sure did. Thats pic from my carb. I used stock 914-4 cable, but the problem was that the cable was too short and it had to make too tight turns => cable bind mad.gif

Now I have bellcrank system (did it myself) and I am very happy with it. smile.gif
jetboy
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ Jan 11 2006, 10:48 PM)
QUOTE (Dave_Darling @ Jan 11 2006, 09:50 PM)
The Bird carries a bolt-on bellcrank setup that uses the stock (cheaper) four-cylinder cable.  It is fairly similar to the other bellcrank setup pictured earlier.

user posted image

--DD

Ive seen the same thing for a few months now. If they are available then i would like to know. Does anyone else make one? Im not that crafty to make one myself confused24.gif
thesey914
Timo....can you post some pics?
Dave_Darling
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ Jan 11 2006, 10:48 PM)

Oops! That's what I get for not paying attention... No idea if or when it would be in stock again. Maybe if enough people pester Wayne?

Rich Johnson sells a replica of the original Six setup. You have to drill and tap into your intermediate plate to mount it, but it looks all nice and OEM that way...

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.