Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil cooler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DanT
This is my latest acquisition, picking up this weekend.
25row mocal
1600cfm fan with custom shroud.

Now to decide on mounting.
DanT
and flip side
DanT
So here is my idea. Fan pushes air through the cooler
Cut multiple 3inch holes in trunk floor, to size of cooler. Place cooler face down so fan can push air through the cooler to the bottom of the car. This area should be a negative pressure area to help draw air through cooler plus the push of the fan. Open all rubber plugs in front valence area in front of front trunk. Open corresponding area in front valence under front bumper. sawzall-smiley.gif
Place either ducting from front trunk bulkhead or just use something like wooden spare tire cover to seal bottom area of the trunk from upper area. Sealing bottom area into a fresh air chamber forcing air through cooler and out bottom of trunk.

Suggestions or comments wacko.gif sawzall-smiley.gif
Trekkor
Looks like you will have no trouble keeping cool this summer clap.gif

There's a good chance that you won't even turn that fan on.

On cold days, I block off all but 2 front valance holes for air flow.

Nice!

KT
DanT
That is what I have been thinking. I am getting it from Randal.
I am scoring some great stuff from him, as he builds his giant killer.

Did you get the smoothed top from him. He is really not going to be needing it any longer. wink.gif
He has been using one of these sawzall-smiley.gif a lot from what he tells me. cool.gif
Trekkor
Yes, I'm going to buy his smooth targa top.

KT

DanT
Silver on white might look pretty good. smile.gif wacko.gif
Trekkor
Hey!
Will you have an on/off switch for the cooling fan or will it have a thermo switch?

( no silver top )

KT
DanT
I am going to do an on/off switch. I plan on using the now unused fog light switch. Wiring is already to this area anyway. smile.gif

No silver? sad.gif
McMark
Looks great!!!

Just having that cooler is going to be enough. Ducting isn't really going to be an issue. Just install and go. If it's still too hot (ohmy.gif) seal the cooler to the trunk floor. If it's still too hot (ohmy.gif ohmy.gif) create a front inlet and duct it to the cooler.

Trekkor and I did some testing awhile back and found that with any sort of front valence, airflow through the holes in the front is very small. They're good for getting a little fresh air. But not good as ram air unless you mimic Trekkors air holes.
DanT
thanks Mark

My other thought is to use a GT lid and mount it so the fan is pushing air through the cooler out of the engine compartment. That is how Randal had it set up on his car. Don't need near as much oil line that way.
Just have to see where my reassembly schedule puts me when the 24th of Feb. roles around.
Need to be ready for TT#1 at Sears. It will probably be pretty cold and maybe wet anyway so cooling for the first event will not be a big problem. Just need to make sure I have it all set by TT #2.
Trekkor
Yep, pretty good results through the grommet holes.

KT
McMark
My preference is to put it under the rear trunk instead of the engine lid, but I don't any good reason to pick one over the other. Demick put his there and it worked well. With a cooler of that size, it'll help even in the hot area under the car.

I'm looking forward to the installation pics. wink.gif wink.gif wink.gif
DanT
I can hardly wait to get all this cool stuff on my car!
Car is "supposed" to get paint by this weekend. I have every digit crossed.
So hopefully reassembly and installation can begin very shortly
w00t.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.