Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Carbs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Maine914
I have dual double-barrelled 40 mm Dellorto Carbs on a 1974 2.0 engine. It has been suggested that it too much for the engine, and that I replace should them with one double barrelled Weber. Anybody have any experience or thoughts on this suggestion?
Thanks
seanery
bs.gif
Brad Roberts
Whoa.. thats a good one. The person must want your carbs ?? Did they offer to buy them from you cheap ?? LOL

You can buy chokes and install them. Most 40's are pretty good straight out of the box. Look down inside them and see if they have 36mm chokes or 38mm. It will be stamped into a shiny aluminum piece. You'll have to pull the air cleaners off and look down inside with a flashlight or something.

B
MarkV
agree.gif

Have you ever driven a 914 w/ a progressive 2 barrel?
echocanyons
Hey wasnt the progressive weber with the 2 barrell the same carb on the pinto that was notorious for catching on fire?
Brad Roberts
Mr. Thorsen nails it on the nose.

B
Bleyseng
The single carb works well on anything but a flat four engine. The long steel runners condense the air fuel mix on the sides, leaning out the mix.
Duals have a short straight shot into the intake like the FI, the only way to fly.

Geoff
ChrisReale
I have a single barrell on my Subaru. Works great. Its a flat four :finger2: :finger2:
Dave Cawdrey
Get some Weber's like mine. 40's w/ choke and return nipple
Brad Roberts
The Dells have bolt on banjo fittings for the fuel. One side has a dual feed like that one pictured. You can unbolt them and place them on either carb. Or buy two fittings with single inlets and use a tee inline elsewhere.

B
Bleyseng
Chris R, I am sure that the Subie has a nice cast aluminum manifold with hot coolent running thru it to preheat the intake charge. The standard type 4 single carb doesnt have that at all. The steel pipes will actually frost over in the winter outside of SoCal climates.
Geoff
Maine914
I'll hold onto them. Mine don't seem to have chokes at all. Just secondary and primary venturis.
Thanks
Racer
QUOTE(Maine914 @ Aug 27 2003, 07:36 PM)
I have dual double-barrelled 40 mm Dellorto Carbs on a 1974 2.0 engine. It has been suggested that it too much for the engine, and that I replace should them with one double barrelled Weber. Anybody have any experience or thoughts on this suggestion?
Thanks

Who suggested that? Must be another 914 owner looking for to upgrade!
Maine914
Actually, it was a mechanic.
tryan
find a new 'mechanic'.

duals are a bear to tune, but the 32/36 thing is a piece of crap on a teener. fine for a pinto or toyota, but you'll never have a true teening experience with that carb.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.