Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Getty Design 911 Style Dash for 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
1974porsche914
I've wanted to install one of these ever since I bought my 914 about 8 years ago.

Once I closed the doors on my business, I moved my CNC and manual machines into my garage and the 914 had to move out. It's been outdoors in the sun ever since! sad.gif
Well, my stock dash has finally started to crack all over!

The upside to this is that now I have a justified reason to pop for the Getty 911 dash.
Are any of you guys familiar with this dash?
Have any of you guys installed one? ...difficult? ...easy? ...time consuming?
What do you think?

I'm wondering if there is anyplace reputable nearby that I can trust to install it for me and do a good job.
I really don't have the time to do this myself, but I will if necessary.
I've got more important things to focus and spend my time on. I think I'd rather just pay someone to do it for me, if the price is reasonable.
Qarl
What the heck are you babbling about?

blink.gif
Qarl
Actually, search the archives here. Type in Getty in the lower right corner of the forum page and it should help you.

Good luck.

I think they look kind of neat. Cover it in leathe or vinyl.

Regards,

Karl
Brad Roberts
Dont do it.

We have a car in the shop right now that is having one installed. Major pain in the ass for little return. All the wires have to be extended... most the gauges dont work with your current sending units... all the Speedo's are electric... (except some 944's) They have NO support over the glove box area (I think you lose the glove box). You cant see the gauges with ANY type of sport wheel unless you clock all of them at funny positions.

I think they look cool. But after watching one get installed and me "guiding the process".somewhat..I'm out.

B
Dave Cawdrey
Thanks, Brad wink.gif I've been trying to decide between the two.

Guess I'll upgrade mine like Karl smilie_pokal.gif
Brad Roberts
I love the the look.. especially when they are wrapped in leather (or Carbon Fiber like Andy's).. BUT..man what a pain.

It would be easier to install a dash from another car like a VW Golf or something... or AudiS4 dash..

B
sj914
Just have the dash upholstered. I upholstered my dash on my old 914(rest its soul). I think it looks good having those stitched seems around the guage area, kinda gives it the custom made look.
redshift
Who'da guy with the whole 911 dash? That was an awesome conversion.

Cut the 14 dash out at the windshield, same with the 11, then cut the upper lip off the 14 beyond the speaker cutout on the 11, and braised that together, then it just went right in... MAGIC!

M
1974porsche914
Just have the dash upholstered. I upholstered my dash on my old 914(rest its soul). I think it looks good having those stitched seems around the guage area, kinda gives it the custom made look.

SJ914... Who upholstered your dash? Got any photos you can post or email? idea.gif
Brad Roberts

I'm working on a group discount thru a local upholstry shop (for the 914club) He has done about half the cars that show up for our concourse events... I have seen his dash for the 914 and his seats/backpad combo. I hope to see him today (on my lists of things to do).

B
sj914
I don't have any picts. of my old car since it's been long gone. I handstitched my interior myself. It just took a lot of time and a box of bandages
smrz914
When I got my car the dash had cracks. I searched around for dash pads and most were $50-80. I went to my FLAPS (x FLAPS since I moved) and they had one for a 914 for $35. Sweet deal! Not worth it w/o pics but it's in 2 peices, one big piece and a small piece for the top of the guage cluster. Attaches w/ velcro (included).
1974porsche914
Brad,

Let me know after you talk to that uphostery guy.
I may also be interested in re-doing my seats and back pad.

Thanks,
Greg
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Aug 27 2003, 11:07 PM)
I love the the look.. especially when they are wrapped in leather (or Carbon Fiber like Andy's).. BUT..man what a pain.

yepp, wiring the 911 gauges is a pain in the butt.
i had to extend all of the wires and add a few new ones.
5 gauges now instead of 3 ...

i used (mostly) original color-coded wires (from jennys old harness) for the extensions.

as for the glove-box, there's no problem keeping it, but you lose the ash-tray.
also, at least the CF dash i got is made from a template of a late model dash,
so fitting it into a pre '73 car requires some minor "adjustements".
(plus, i had to cut it to make it fit around the rollcage, but that's a different story)

i think it'll look really nice when done, but brad's right on the visibility,
with the small momo steering wheel, i have to rotate almost any gauge to
be able to see the (interesting) parts. i even run the tach upside down and
switched the turn-signal indicators.
looks kinda funny but works well ...

Andy
JeffBowlsby
The easy way???
SirAndy
QUOTE(bowlsby @ Aug 28 2003, 01:32 PM)
The easy way???

haha, the getty dash is a MUCH better fit than that!

don't get me wrong, i love the getty dash, and if i hadn't installed a roll-cage in my car i would have been a direct bolt-in.
(altough you have to cut off the stock gauge cluster "hoop")

re-wiring the 911 gauges is time-consuming, plus,
i'm not sure how accurate the gauges will be, like the fuel-gauge blink.gif
but at least the fuel-idiot light works!

i got a 944 speedo (which seems to be both, manual AND electronic !?!)

i'll post pics once it's all in the car (and looking nice)
Andy
Rusty
why are you concerned about the fuel gauge? Aren't the gauge modules basically interchangeable? (Maybe requiring some silk screening to correct orientation)

-Rusty smoke.gif
always liked the getty dash...
jonwatts
Andy, now that your carbon fiber dash is just about installed (from the sound of it), are you concerned about carbon fiber shrapnel if you ever get in a bad accident?
JeffBowlsby
You are inspiring Jon...

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

cool.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Brad Roberts
LB.. the fuel gauge in the 911 cluster is much smaller than the unit used in the 914 gauge (tried that).

B
meursault
Andy, now that your carbon fiber dash is just about installed (from the sound of it), are you concerned about carbon fiber shrapnel if you ever get in a bad accident?

I think he has much more to worry about if he gets into an accident capable of shattering the dash.

But let's not talk about accidents, please.
SirAndy
QUOTE(jonwatts @ Aug 28 2003, 09:11 PM)

nope. i'm also not concerned about being hit by a lump of "blue ice" dumped out of a airplane toilet ...

Andy
silver six
QUOTE(meursault @ Aug 28 2003, 10:09 PM)

I think he has much more to worry about if he gets into an accident capable of shattering the dash.

I think the point was that a shattered dash is exactly the first thing you would be worried about in a crash considering that the carbon schrapnel would likely end up embedded in the driver and passenger. I believe this was the principal reason why wooden steering wheels were, (a while ago, prior to laminate technology), discontinued.

Douglas
SirAndy
[quote=silver six,Aug 29 2003, 01:05 PM] I think he has much more to worry about if he gets into an accident capable of shattering the dash. [/QUOTE]
I think the point was that a shattered dash is exactly the first thing you would be worried about in a crash considering that the carbon schrapnel would likely end up embedded in the driver and passenger. I believe this was the principal reason why wooden steering wheels were, (a while ago, prior to laminate technology), discontinued. [/quote]
i know what he meant. point is, if i hit something hard enough to have my dahsboard shatter into a million pieces, i will most certainly have much more important things to worry about ...

i'm not saying it can't happen, but i believe that IF it happens,
it'll be the least of my problems ...

Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.