Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Running wires from engine to interior..
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DougC
I need to run some wires from the engine compartment to the interior, for my oil press and temp guages. I assume I can run them through the heater tube connections (I'm running headers) but would like to be sure. Is there anything inside that would stop me from sending them forward to the front tube area (under the fuse panel)..

Also, on the same note..will I need to connect them to the fuse panel? what fuses are free for such items? All advice is appreciated.

Doug C
2-OH!
No, Heater tubes would be great but you may want to seal the entry point somehow to prevent moisture...

Fuses depend on what amperage you plan to use on the line...But for gauges (don't draw much amperage) 8's would be my guess

2-OH!
DNHunt
What year? I think there are connectors under the carpet where the wiring harness exits the central tunnel. I know my 74 had em.

Dave
SirAndy
or use the center tunnel, like all the stock wires ...

there's plenty of room where the main harness goes through the firewall ...
wink.gif Andy
double-a
agree.gif

andy's got it right. start at the main wiring harness at the firewall in the engine bay, then through the hole where the huge bundle of wires goes, around the j-boot, and through the firewall into the cabin along the existing wiring harness. you kinda have to do it in three steps: feed them through the top, then get under the car and feed them through the firewall, get in the car, take out the center console, etc and lay them alongside the harness. easy!

i recently installed a pressure sender and this is how i did it. takes awhile, but it's very clean.

oh, and when i was in the midst of all that, my wife asks "why didn't you just drill a new hole or something? dry.gif rolleyes.gif
~a
Aaron Cox
doug, i did this exact thing...and did it thru all the stock harnesses....

I ran rear defrost harness, 8 ga power wire to rally light relay, AND a green 18 ga wire for the oil pressure sender for my gauge.

i was anal enuff to re heatshrink evrything....

do it thru the original boot in the engine bay....... using the heater tubes is a sloppy idea unsure.gif

do it once. do it right.
PM me if you have any specific questions....

user posted image
SirAndy
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Jan 12 2006, 01:19 PM)
18 ga wire for the oil pressure sender for my gauge

nice photoshop on that triple gauge ...

laugh.gif Andy
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jan 12 2006, 03:02 PM)
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Jan 12 2006, 01:19 PM)
18 ga wire for the oil pressure sender for my gauge

nice photoshop on that triple gauge ...

laugh.gif Andy

eat a dhead.gif andy.....

thats legit. the original kit i purchased isnt as "matte black" as it should be....
bad reflection.

installed....
user posted image

finger.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Jan 12 2006, 02:11 PM)
eat a dhead.gif andy.....

"am i still a american if i have a dick in my mouth?" confused24.gif
DougC
OK I ran some 18ga wire thru the center tunnel (harness area) wasn't easy but I'm glad I did it this way. So now I need to hook these wires to my 911 combo gauge (oil press/temp). How do I hook it to the gauges? I mean is it necessary to go through the fuse panel or can I just add an in-line fuse and be done with it? What size fuse for 18ga wires btw? I am an electrical idiot I know headbang.gif

Doug C
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (DougC @ Jan 18 2006, 03:20 PM)
OK I ran some 18ga wire thru the center tunnel (harness area) wasn't easy but I'm glad I did it this way. So now I need to hook these wires to my 911 combo gauge (oil press/temp). How do I hook it to the gauges? I mean is it necessary to go through the fuse panel or can I just add an in-line fuse and be done with it? What size fuse for 18ga wires btw? I am an electrical idiot I know headbang.gif

Doug C

no fuses for sender wires.....

they go directly to the back of the gauge (which is labeled by the way.....)

pretty simple
DougC
Are you serious ? Damn, I cut the stupid wires short then to reach the fuse panel.. what did I tell ya "an idiot" dry.gif Thanks for the quick response I'll hook 'em up tonight if I get a chance.

Doug C
Aaron Cox
and teh gauge is labeled on the back

+ = switched +
I|| = (on its side) is ground

and G is gauge sender wire

AA
DougC
OK, wait a minute what is the switched wire from? The fuse panel, no? Bear with me man...

Doug C
Aaron Cox
when you turn the key... its Switches power on to the gauges..... otherwise your gauges would be on all the time.

"piggyback" the switched + from the fuel gauge to run 2 gauges.... same with the ground.....

AA
DougC
A big thanks!

Doug C
SirAndy
QUOTE (DougC @ Jan 18 2006, 02:20 PM)
I mean is it necessary to go through the fuse panel or can I just add an in-line fuse and be done with it?

no fuse on the sender wires. they only have low voltage ....

here's how it works:

12V -> Gauge -> Sender -> Ground

the initial 12V for the gauge comes from the fuse-panel. if you add additional gauges, simply piggyback on another gauges 12V feed ...

wink.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.