Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Taking welding class this weekend
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rjames
Signed up for a 2 day mig welding class this weekend, and I'm pretty excited. 2- four hour days of instruction. Good timing as I'm planning on really inspecting the car for rust in the coming days. welder.gif

For any of you other Seattle-ites looking to take a welding class it seems like a pretty good deal. $180 for the whole thing- here's a link to class info
for anyone locally who is interested as they're having another one in March.

http://www.discoveru.org/classes/detail.cfm?CID=2160

After I signed up they sent me some info on the class, including pictures of projects from previous students, I love the address and the car!! chairfall.gif Look everyone, I made giant paperweights!
lincoln
is cool ya found a class in your area- wish more of these were around

basically its probly more of a hobby welder class , for folks like bored housewives etc who have a desire to do say weld sculptures and stuff, but its still a great deal and you should walk away from it knowing more than you did before and while you might not get enuff out of it to certify as a welder you should be able to make several repairs that you couldnt before

good luck and have fun, i been burnin wire for over 15 years and im STILL learning new stuff heheh
tat2dphreak
I took a continuing ed class at a local HS, bperry was in the class too... the class was really good, not just a quick class though... gave a good overview over 6 weeks

where are these bored housewives that want to take up welding... I'd like to teach that class... biggrin.gif
lincoln
me too heheh actually i have a friend who is one , and i told her if she got the equipment i could teach her the basics- rest after thats all practice
rjames
I need to post a picutre of the lame candle holder I made. stromberg.gif I was crackin' up the whole time. Good news is the class was definitely worth taking. Feel like I at least know what a good weld should look like, and the equipment isn't a mystery anymore.

Also, the place the class was at rents out space for $ 0.30 a foot. The building is HUGE, and so a buddy and mine are probably going to rent enough space for our cars, and get some serious work done soon. Next step is to shop around for a mig welder.... aktion035.gif
rjames
where are these bored housewives that want to take up welding...

Unfortunately the housewives in this class were the ones you typically imagine would be welding...
SirAndy
they have automotive welding classes here in Öakland ...

always wanted to take some classes, maybe this year ...
welder.gif Andy
mightyohm
Does anyone know of any community welding classes in the South Bay?

I was thinking DeAnza, SCU, Foothill, or somewhere would have something but every time I check, nada...
Andyrew
Have a junior college near by?

Register and take the class! Normally one day a week... Nights... 2 or 3 units at around 20 bucks a unit? Not a bad price for experience. And it should be automotive welding... (next semester I'll be taking that.. summer ie..)

Currently my "car related" class is auto body collision repair.. just took painting, and this is next in line. Would have rather taken welding.. but you gota jump on it to get the class..

Andrew
jonwatts
QUOTE (jkeyzer @ Jan 16 2006, 09:31 PM)

Usually you need to look for vocational schools vs community colleges. I took a class (or half a class) at CCOC a few years ago (PDF class schedule, do a search on welding). There was some good info to be learned there if you were patient enough to wait your turn. They were teaching arc, MIG and TIG; but the TIG stations were reserved for people who had gone through the class at least once and had learned MIG.

I think you would get more out of a two day intensive training class if you had your own setup to practice with immediately after.

GaroldShaffer
clap.gif

I signed up with IVY tech and started my MIG welding class this past Saturday. First day was watching safety vidoes and learning how to use a cutting torch. The class costs $308 and is every Saturday from 8 am - 1 pm and runs fron now until mid May. wacko.gif

I can't wait for Saturdays welder.gif boldblue.gif
brant
a timely topic....

I taught myself to weld mig, stick, and oxy....
I built a trailer about 7 years ago and allthough the wheels haven't fallen off yet, I think I could of done a better job.

So I started an adult ed class last tuesday.
Its a 3 hours class, 1x a week and I can't wait to go back tonight. Its a 15 week class and the teacher will let you focus on any type of welding the student is interested in.

I hope to improve my oxy skills and become proficient at tig.

I love it!
Root_Werks
rjames,

Where did you take your class? 2 day class like that sounds fun. welder.gif
rjames
Class was just south of downtown Seattle on Marginal Way. It was through Discover U. Cost was $200. I made a really bad candle holder.

Class dates: http://www.discoveru.org/classes/detail.cfm?CID=2160

For a 2 day class I learned just enough to go spend too much money on a MIG welder, and to think I can pull off some welding on the 914 with a little practice.
screwy.gif smile.gif
lapuwali
QUOTE (jkeyzer @ Jan 16 2006, 09:31 PM)

I was thinking DeAnza, SCU, Foothill, or somewhere would have something but every time I check, nada...

Not really South Bay, but College of San Mateo offers the classes.
sk8kat1
ar15.gif this sucks! -- I treid to sign up for a welding class at a Jr college and they insist on taking the welding theroy class then I can take the arc welding clas then I can take the MIG / tig classes I really want

screwy.gif

brant
QUOTE (sk8kat1 @ Jan 17 2006, 02:30 PM)
ar15.gif this sucks! -- I treid to sign up for a welding class at a Jr college and they insist on taking the welding theroy class then I can take the arc welding clas then I can take the MIG / tig classes I really want

screwy.gif

Hey... put your name in your sig..

Anyways...
I called the community college in my area and was told the same thing. They wanted me to take 2 or 3 semesters of material and at 500ish a semester.

I actually am interested in the theory part and want to take that still.

but their schedule and location didn't match up to my availability so I kept looking. Then I called the Adult education program. It's high school metal shop really. It won't earn me any college credit. But I spoke directly with the teacher and it helped that he was really cool and has lots of adult auto hobbyists in his classes.

So look into it.
call the adult education program in your area
To make it even better, my class was 1/2 price from the community college!

smilie_pokal.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.