Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How many miles does your teener have?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Britain Smith
I was on the way to work this morning and noticed that my odometer fliped 14,000. That would make a grand total of 214,000miles on my chassis. I drive my little guy to work everyday and it is still holding up strong.

How many of you know how many miles your teener has? Chassis only, engine rebuilds/swaps/etc. doesn't count.

-Britain
tat2dphreak
mine shows around 42k, but who knows what time around... and it doesn't seem to be advancing either... it's probably wouldn around enough times to break
grantsfo
65,000 miles. Engine still hasnt been cracked open yet. wacko.gif
rick 918-S
Taken on the way to the WCC "05"

914 backwards cool_shades.gif

928 in the trip screwy.gif
mack914
Unless you're an original owner, how do you know; how many times the oD has flipped or how many times speedo has been replaced. yellowsleep[1].gif
LvSteveH
Little old lady...... original owner.......... 72k original miles ...... damn near ripped me off too... if she's cool enough to drive a porsche at 78, she's cool enough to get by your radar. That's ok, I came out fine in the end...... ever threatened to let someone die in prison? cool_shades.gif
dmenche914
does jackstand time count?
dmenche914
PS i put over 60,000 miles on my first 914 before it got wrecked, it had an unknown mileage on it by prior owners.

Holly 914's batman!!! Look I have 914 posts as of now, check it out on the left side of the screen! And to think 914 happens twice a day to boot!

That is about as special as the odometer flipping over 99,999.9.

Which got me thinking, don't new cars (to me new is anything after 1980) have an extra decimal place. they don't flip until 999,999.9 miles (basically a million mile flip) Is that cause they planed to last longer, and the old cars were not expected to reach 100,000 miles?

Anyway i am having a 914 day! Yippie!!! Still counting jackstand time however, Ugh!
rpmmaxxed
179,000 miles so far.

Tranny rebuild 9K ago, the 1.7 has never been opened up before. Knock on wood...
dmenche914
knock on wood is ok, knock on piston is bad.

That's good mileage for an aircooled motor, change the oil often, adjust the valves? I assume you have been.
Gustl
85,232 miles on display
when I bought the car it showed 76,872 miles - I was told that it's original (by the PO)
off course there's no proof, but the overall condition of the car made me believe it
there were only 3 owners before me, the 2nd had the car for 21 years

wavey.gif Gustl

Aaron Cox
im on 126k

but the car is new everywhere else....

so the whole "new" car has only like 20K on it in 4 years
TROJANMAN
QUOTE (rpmmaxxed @ Jan 13 2006, 02:08 PM)
179,000 miles so far.

Tranny rebuild 9K ago, the 1.7 has never been opened up before. Knock on wood...

now you did it lol2.gif
richardmosselman
93k miles; but half of those on 50 series tires...so deduct 15%? Am only 3rd owner car had sat for 8 yrs with 1st owner. 2nd owner was local P-club secretary ... did all the work for me! smilie_pokal.gif
Cheers,Richard
PS --'72 1.7
grasshopper
18,127 ph34r.gif
dmenche914
That's real low, 18k miles! have any photos to post? Anyone know of the record for least miles (other than factory examples, I'm talking real sold to persons cars) I have heard of some owners of the last US VW Bug buying them, and right off the trailer putting them in storage, in sealed nitrogen filled plastic bags. Them is real low miles, anyone one know of a 914 like that or simular?

I heard of a VW Bug from the 60's that was stored by the owner, and just started once and a while for forty some years, it was some find when the estate was sold off. Something he bought it as a gift to his daughter, but before she got it she ran off or died or something, so he just kept it in a garage but really hardly ever drove it, it had mega low miles (i think it was sub 1000) and all garage kept, never saw rain type of thing. All original, clean car!

i have seen some very very either orignal 914's or very very high end restorations, i can not recall the milage on these few exceptional cars. I see them at shows once and a while, engine bays you can eat off of, OEM decals, no wear and tear, just plain great examples of what a 914 must have been like in the showroom.

So how about some photos of real low mileage cars?
grasshopper
it only ran for about three months before we pulled the old motor, and we didn't get any good photos...not at least that i could find on the computer huh.gif the story: a man bought it new in 74, drove it for a couple years, for some reason the engine blew, pulled that and put a bus engine in, parked it for YEARS.. at least 15, in a barn/ garage.... the old man has some sort of medical condition, and has no relatives,and gets put in a nursing home, so his things get sold off, and that how we got the car at an estate auction... the car had almost no rust at all, but had some really scewed up wiring dry.gif but what could i ask for from a West Virginia car lol2.gif now it is on jack stands and not running... the one year anniversary should be coming soon... it's sad to just see it sitting there sad.gif
Joe Ricard
When I bought the ODO was broke. so while I was in there I set it to 00000 I have tripped over 17,500 in 20 months. also 25 autocross events. mueba.gif
azbill
Don't know and don't care most everything has been or is being replaced. So I guess with the new engine breaks, paint, rechroming, new seals and tires,
interior, Renn shift, 905 gauge and God know what else it has zero miles. Anyone what ot buy it?

Bill Shaffer
spare time toys
0 zip nada it aint got no stinking speedo or oddo biggrin.gif But I do have a metric one I will be putting into it.

If I remember Clays guy next door has over 300000 on his. He said he got it way back and I think it is on its third engine.
swood
I'm the second owner of the '75. My uncle bought it new in Santa Monica. Drove it every day from HB to SM, about 150 each day, in 5th gear by the way. When he parked it he put 325,000 on it. He's a nerdy engineer at MD (Boeing) and he tore down the engine 2x to measure everything. He did not replace anything when doing so, well, maybe the bearings. But when I tore it down, everything was stock.

biggrin.gif
DonTraver
177,000 miles. My 6 has been in the family since new, I'm the 2nd owner, My step-dad sold her to me. At 100k, top end, upgraded to run unleaded fuel

I've got some reciepts that show a tune up, valves and carbs for like $90, lol. Sure wish I could get those kind of prices today.

Later, Don
Seagrave
I have all the records from new to current , including the dealer stamps in the owners manual (stop at 103K). Current mileage is a tank of gas short of 177K.
anderssj
It just rolled over 230K original owner miles yesterday . . . .

biggrin.gif
mikey
19734...or 119734...or maybe 219734. Don't know for certain. I do know that the speedometer/odometer is the original.
TravisNeff
My white 73 had 85K when I bought it, found out before we exchanged fund it was at least 185K. Speedo didn't work so i am pretty sure that one is over 200K

My silver 72 shows 56K right now, I am thinking 156K
TravisNeff
Oh, and when looking for a teener someone always says the mileage,but in one ear and out the other. Most likely it has another 100k on it than what they think. All that matter is if the tub is in good shape
EdwardBlume
86000. 80k of which is in the family.

black73
Mine was stuck on 56xxx when I bought it from the original owner. I've never bothered to fix the odo yellowsleep[1].gif.
I would estimate between 100,000- 150,000. confused24.gif
Midtowner
All 8's. I posted this a while back. 33 years in my family. Engine never opened. I feel pretty lucky to own this 914. biggrin.gif
Midtowner
Picture. smile.gif
jimtab
137,xxx got the records since sold new to a guy in Santa Cruz in 1973...I love my garage queen.... biggrin.gif
Brando
62.481 Original Miles. I'm #3 owner. Car was bought and driven in Riverside from Walter's Porsche/Mercedez/Audi/VW almost all of it's life. Not bad mileage for a shit-box lookin thing smile.gif
redshift
huh.gif

Just the one, that I know of..

sheeplove.gif
pfierb
68.000?......168,000?.....268,000?

Could care less runs great
joeav8tor
15,300 have the original owners documents and service records...driven from 73-76 then became a garage queen.
Joe driving.gif
SGB
the speedo I put in has odo reading of 76012, but there was a period of about 9 years where the speedo didn't function, and this one showed 16000 when I put it in. My brother bought the car as 2nd owner in 76 when it had 3X000. I don't know how long he drove it before the speedo died, but when I bought the car from him in 1990 we estimated it had about 160000. So I figure what it all washes out to is about 300k, The engine has been out many times, top-end rebuilt 3 times, bottom end twice. EVERYTHING else has been rebuilt at least once I think except the transaxle, and I have not removed the dash or gas tank. I'm needing some 2nd gear synchros, but otherwise it likes to be driven hard!
Cevan
Just turned over 58,000 miles, according to the odometer. I'm the 4th owner. The 3rd owner put 600 miles on it and had bought it from a friend who had owned it since '78. I tend to believe it based on the condition of the car and the documentation. I've got a Quaker State sticker from an oil change on the door that reads 48,000 miles.
ericread
Just turned over for the third time in July. So I'm working on just over 300,000 miles. Since I'm putting about 15,000 miles a year on it now, 400,000 may not be in the too far future.

Click to view attachment

Life is good!!!

Eric Read bye1.gif

Todd Enlund
Since I have mine in pieces all over the garage, while I had the odo apart, I reset it to 00000.
championgt1
Just over 319,000 miles. The original owner kept great records.

Click to view attachment
jd74914
Hmm. I think mine has 182300+ miles on it. I have records that show the original owner driving 17500 miles in 9 months. He really put some mileage on the car.

Now the odometer is broken, but I do know that I have put about 1200 miles a month on for the last 3 months (it was finally registered in May). smile.gif
type47fan
Currently 89,349. I am the second owner. Bought it in 1983 (25 years ago!) with about 39K on the odometer. I've averaged 2,000 miles per year. Since the V8 conversion, I intend to drive it much more in the near future.

Here's what it looked like a couple of years ago, before the conversion.

Thanks,
ClayPerrine
Last time I looked, Betty's 914 was somewhere near 330,000. She may see this and chime in with an exact number. It was under 100,000 when she bought the car in 1985. That is 23 years as a daily driver and AX car.

Mine has around 250,000 on it.

ConeDodger
Mine was purchased from the estate of the original owner with 75K miles. Last license plate was 1990 in 2004... Looks like a low mileage car but everything mechanical had to be rebuilt from all of the 'shelf abuse' of sitting idle in a garage.
2K miles on driveline now. Suspension is being rebuilt for the second time right now... Actually, it is evolving to handle the extra torque of the 2270... Too much lean.
Steve Snyder
81,217... but, of course, it has been off the road since 1988, and was actually off the ground from February 2004 - March 2008. biggrin.gif

I'm the third owner.
TheCabinetmaker
My 73 1.7 had 349,000 when I cracked the case for the first time. Every mile was put on by me. I pulled the motor out at 398,000 when the rust issues were beyond repair and and put another 50,000 on that motor in another car. Pulled it again when that car got wrecked, and still have it in storage for future use.
TheCabinetmaker
My 75 had 60,000 when I got it. I've put another 60,000 on it in 5 years. I logged well over half a million miles in a 914 in 35 years
turnaround89
The body on my car has just over 70,000 miles on it. The PO sold the original 2.0L engine and put a 1.8L in it. Damn PO, but i still love the car, just have no idea how many miles are on the engine itself just the body.
SGB
Wow.

Lotsa cars with BIG miles. like mine. I think the median must be in the 200K range.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.