Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT:Hair Club for men? What to do about hair loss?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Mueller
age 40 (almost, in April)

got the bald spot on the top of the head and the hair line in the front is lossing ground fast wacko.gif

We (Sherryl and I) figured when I really start to get thin I'd just shave my head, but not too sure if I have the right shaped head for that rolleyes.gif

The Bosley hair club commercial came on last night and it got me to thinking........ screwy.gif
Allan
That's easy.

plas76targa
Mike, as a fellow father of twins.. don't bother, you're going to lose it (hair) anyway. Besides, it's not a bald spot .. it's a solar receptor for a high powered sex machine! rolleyes.gif

smooth_eddy
Don't fight it, just shave it when it is time. Those hair clubs will milk you dry with monthly fees. Look at how many famous people and athletes have shaved it off. E
TROJANMAN
my inspiration
ConeDodger
Mike,
Just a little history... Monoxidyl was developed as a blood pressure treatment in the form of an oral pill. It caused some rather dramatic and dangerous drops in blood pressure and is not commonly used for that purpose. In the trials it was discovered that it caused hair growth. I think that as a topical cream it is less than completely effective in that it causes very fine hair growth that most would not be satisfied with.
I am not sure I would shave your head. How does Sherryl feel about it? Nothing sexier than confidence. Be proud. Lose the hat and embrace the look. No charge for the pharmacology lecture but the self-confidence talk will cost you one set of needle bearing bushings... biggrin.gif
messix
the thinner it gets the shorter it gets. no comb overs. [insert donald trump] another trick of nature is that the hair on top moves south.
seanery
Keep it short. Last summer I gave up on the barber and bought a good set of clippers. I cut my own now, most of the time with no guard, it's very short. Sometimes I take a blade to it and make it bald. It's much better looking than longer hair with spots, and I save a lot of $ at the barber. I got my clippers on the internet for $30-ish. I was spending $12+ at the barber shop every time. I cut it more often now that I do it myself, too.
prman602
QUOTE (Mueller @ Jan 14 2006, 10:04 AM)
age 40 (almost, in April)

got the bald spot on the top of the head and the hair line in the front is lossing ground fast wacko.gif

We (Sherryl and I) figured when I really start to get thin I'd just shave my head, but not too sure if I have the right shaped head for that  :rolleyes:

The Bosley hair club commercial came on last night and it got me to thinking........  :screwy:

I did the hair club thing, it cost me 300.00 a month. It's a nice hair piece, you have a new one
made for you every 2-1/2 months. you did your own maintance every 3-4 days. driving-girl.gif it gets to be a hassle.
After 3 yrs I decided not to do it any more, rocking nana.gif I shave what little hair I had and grew a go-tee.
No hassles in the morning just shower and save and your out the door in 15 minutes. driving.gif
Allan
Go with this look.

Howard
Hang in there. Pretty soon the hair in your ears and nose will grow fast enough to do a really radical combover. biggrin.gif
IMHO transplants are the only real fix, and from what I understand it's an expensive and annoying procedure.
Hey, growing old ain't for sissies, so sack up beer.gif
KaptKaos
You are lucky, my hair "went south" in my early 30s. I shaved it off and haven't gone back.

Two important points:

1) hats and sunscreen on your scalp in the sun are REQUIRED!
2) Do not let it grow too long between shaves because you will look like a Chia Pet.
rhodyguy
do you really want someone to sew a rug on the top of your head? HCFM will be where you get your hair cut in the future. your existing hair will continue to fall out and it will become a never ending routine. live with it and use sun block when you don't want to wear a hat. if you're still interested call and ask what the expected yearly cost will be ohmy.gif .

k
Dr. Roger
i was told if you get a buzz cut and spike it then it will lessen the blow.

looks pretty good too. (advice given from an ex hair-cutter)

then five years later go to the #2 trimmer bar . biggrin.gif

hey mike, don't you need help with something??? 'cuz i owe you some garage time or something...
sgomes
Por 15. Great for hair loss. Just don't get it on your hootus.
brp914
Men and women look at me and unconsciously tussle their hair which causes me to be a little self conscious at times. I've also had guys at work suggest that I get a transplant or whatever. But screw it, I say play the cards you're dealt. Just dont let the bod go. Paraphrasing: "Fat and bald is no way to go through life, son."
bd1308
when im pulling my hair out and i happen to think about putting it all in a bag for you, i'll do just that..

lice free and i bathe everyday....

b
BigDBass
I've been balding since I was 19 (maybe even 17). I'm 32 now. I just fight fire with fire and been shaving my own head for the last 10 or 12 years. I haven't paid for a haircut in that time. I wonder how much money that adds up to?

Dan
thesey914
Nutting wrong with a combover...
user posted image
neo914-6
QUOTE (plas76targa @ Jan 14 2006, 10:07 AM)
Mike, as a fellow father of twins.. don't bother, you're going to lose it (hair) anyway. Besides, it's not a bald spot .. it's a solar receptor for a high powered sex machine! rolleyes.gif

chairfall.gif
man and I'm worried about getting grey hair(s) at 45...

I don't notice lack of hair in others. I'd say in your case if it's okay with Sheryl then that's all that matters... smile.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (Howard @ Jan 14 2006, 10:22 AM)
Pretty soon the hair in your ears and nose will grow fast enough to do a really radical combover.

i can second that motion!

no hair loss yet, and i'm already past the 40 mark. (add a knock-on-wood smily here)

but the nose and ear hair growth has been really taking off in the last 2-3 years. you wouldn't believe the size of those logs ... ohmy.gif
and most of them have turned white too, nothing like a 2" long white hair growing out of your nose ... icon8.gif

in fact, i was just thinking the other day, who knows how many more years i have left, full hair wise,
so i decided this summer i'm going back to my good old mohawk hairdo.

aktion035.gif Andy
TravisNeff
I am convinced it all starts growing south. back hair combover, ugh. I'd say just keep your hair short, less noticable than with bushy hair and a divot in the top.
mharrison
It seems many of us are in the same boat. I have the Widows Peak hairline. The indentations on the widows peak have gone much farther back than desired! I had to start clipping my hair very short to avoid a lumpy look where those spots go back. (Like others I bought the clippers and haven't looked back!)

It's slowly turning into an island in front. When it actually becomes an island, the guard comes off the clippers. I refuse to have that!

I'm not worried about being bald, but watching it slowly happen bugs me.

Bald = OK
Balding = SUCKS
Porcharu
QUOTE (Mueller @ Jan 14 2006, 10:04 AM)
but not too sure if I have the right shaped head for that  :rolleyes:

To many dents on the dome Mike? clap.gif
gklinger
I'll hit 54 next week, at this point in life I have been without hair longer than with. One word: HATS! You don't want the skin cancer thing - my grandad fought it the last 30 years of his life, multiple nasty spot removals, etc. Get a couple of nice Akubra hats, you won't be sorry...

TJB/914
Wow what a post.

I am young, rich, full head of wavy hair, no grey, wake up with a big hard on each morning & the ladies hit on me every day.

Wait a minute, that's in my dreams!!!!

Tom
Only good thing I can say, I have a yellow 914 that's not on jack stands.
GWN7
Trim it to the wood or do the flat top conversion.

I had a buddy that had the island appear up front, then it became a spider, then one day it was no more.

Be thankfull you don't live where you need the insulation on top.

If you do go the hair club route, you will need This for when you take it apart to make it better. wink.gif

save the $$
jonwatts
36 and been balding for like the last 10 years. You've seen me, it isn't pretty, but then I wasn't pretty before either.

A few years ago I went to the trimmer with no guard and thought it looked ok in the mirror but looked kinda strange in pictures. Since Christmas I've started to let it grow out a bit. I'll keep it very short but not shaved and see how that goes.

It's not a bald spot, it's a sunroof. When all the hair on top is gone you can call it a targa laugh.gif
d914
49, losing hair, went no part and about a #3 or 4 guard, best thing I ever did. Shower run my fingers through whats left and your done....!!!! Perfect every time, no longer need all those hats!!!!
Hawktel
Yeah, cut it short, or scalp it off, and practice looking pissed in the mirror. My brother bic's his head. Looks like a complete bastard, has to fight the chicks off with a 2x4.
Leo Imperial
In honor of this thread I am changing my avitar.
This is my dream hair.
I want a fro with a 1 second delay. aktion035.gif
Those that know me will have seen me in a hat.
thesey914
A well used path grows no grass...
redshift
Screw it... I'd stop messing with it, and just scream at anyone who looks.

mad.gif WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU LOOKING AT?

Of course, I am a complete hermit, and these are the ways of the hermit... ymwv.

M
fiid
I had the chick in Supercuts tell me my hair was thinning out. Thanks a bunch!

She suggesting Rogaine. From everything I've heard it's greasy nasty stuff you have to put in your hair every day - and while it does work it's too annoying for words. Of course this is heresay.

Now - I just get a #2 buzzcut every couple of months. A friend of mine with thinner hair just shaves his. I think it's probably the best thing to do.

YMMV.

No hair does mean less aerodynamic drag.... biggrin.gif
fiid
Oh yeah. My Dad has the worst combover in the known universe, and more facial hair than - well - .... he has a lot of facial hair. It scares my kid. Nuff said.
jimtab
I'm 58 and I have a hell of a lot more forehead than I did at 27....so? I say fuck em if they can't take a joke....hair hasn't meant shit since the 60's ..... biggrin.gif after you get to know someone you don't even notice, and who really gives a shit what people you don't know think?? confused24.gif
Bleyseng
Time for a comb over and grow a beard !

We have a friend who's nickname is comb over.... av-943.gif
anthony
It's been all said. Just shave it. I started going bald when I was 22. Now you can say I've adjusted to it. Just be glad you aren't single and still cruising for chicks. LOL
Jeroen
Buy a trimmer and be done with it...

I'm 36, the top is thinning and the fronts are retracting
I just trim it short and when it really starts to go I'm gonna shave it all and polish it for a nice shiney look lol2.gif

And transplants? Imagine how many cool carparts you could buy instead driving.gif
riverman
About 3 years ago I became a widower at 37 yrs. old. While I was married, I never gave a thought to my hair loss because it didn't matter much. But, after a while I knew I'd be dating again and my baldness really affected the way I thought about myself and hurt my self confidence. After some thought, I decided to have a hair transplant and I couldn't be happier with the result. The procedure cost about $5000CAN, but I now have a full head of my own hair that looks and acts completely natural. It sounds like a lot of money (and it is), but what it did for my self-image and confidence is priceless. I know it's only hair, but when women actually give you the double-take at the grocery store it makes you feel really good inside.

I'm now married again and I have no idea if the hair had anything to do with it, but it did start it.
seanery
got any before and after pics?
bernbomb914
Mike the only time I see my hair is in the morning when I comb it after that it never enters my mind what it looks like. Whats happening to you is normal as all others attested, so dont worry about it. keep it short so it doesnt need a lot of maintiance and forget it.

Bernie
joea9146
Come On Lets See Some Pictures...........

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
boxsterfan
Here's my future chrome dome!!

riverman
QUOTE (seanery @ Jan 14 2006, 10:59 PM)
got any before and after pics?

I don't have any digital before picks, but if you look at boxsterfan above you'll get the idea (only a little more chrome). Here is an after pic though.
seanery
hair looks pretty good, huh?
Katmanken
Here is a trick Dr. Jain, this crazy Indian guy at one of my former companies usta do...

Seems Dr. Jain was totally bald. He would wear his short hair for three and a half weeks and then all the sudden for about 3 or 4 days, his hair got long.

Dr Jain would wear his "long" hair wig so he looked like he needed a trim and mutter in his thick accent....
"I moost go to de barber" and "My hair is getting long"

This would go on for 3 or 4 days and all the sudden he would show up one day with the short hair wig on muttering....

I Weent to the barber on New Habben-Abben Nuuuu (New Haven Avenue).... blink.gif
Dead Air
I call bullshit.
The television is telling you to worry about your hair.
The television is telling you to worry about you breath.
The television is telling you to worry about your sex appeal
The television is telling you to worry about your weight
The television is telling you to worry about your age
The television is telling you to worry about your job
The television is telling you to worry about your car
The television is telling you to worry about the size of your television.
The television is always trying to sell you something by generating a false need and creating a parrallel between your hair (your ______"whatever)and your self esteem.
Hair loss has nothing to do with sexuality except, men who are thinning may have a higher sex drive than men who retain their hair.
I've got about 2,453 other things to worry about besides my hair loss.
I think Mueller, you may be experiencing some sort of post partum neglect and it has nothing to do with your hair and everything to do with your self esteem.
Instead of spending $5000 to get a hair graft, toupe, treatments, etc, go back to school and get a masters degree (or college fund for your kids or medical bills or something that has real value and fuch the superficial people that the rest of us are forced to bear.
Michael N
Balding since 18. Now 34. Just keep reminding myself that the more hair I loose, the more head I get. rolleyes.gif
PatW
Balding since 30, now 41. Got one of these for my chin wiskers. Take off the foil and run it on my head close. Little brother, seven years younger now does his the same.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.