Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Odd Wheels- What are these???
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EdwardBlume
4 lug. 14'. Light like aluminum. Looks like mags. Any ideas?? ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif
Brad Roberts
Pretty sure they are "American mags" My dad would know. Maybe he will pipe in. Very popular on VW bugs back in the 70's.

B
EdwardBlume
The valve stem on the inside of the rim may be a clue. Seems like good wheels. What type of use did the bugs get for them? ar15.gif
Dad Roberts
Sure look like Americans. A few other companys had look-a-likes. As for use? Why .....to make your tires stick out from under the fenders, of course! biggrin.gif Dad PS........I have 2 -13 inch ones in the garage
Brad Roberts
Ha ha.. I thought he had some. One of his original plans was to use them with a custom lug bolt cover.

B
Mike T
I have a set of those. Mine are made by Western Wheel. 14"x5.5". They were the wheels I had on my 914 when I first autocrossed it. Mounted up with 205/60-14 Hoosier Autocrossers. They have a lot of offset. I don't think they'd fit under a stock fender. (not that you'd want them to.)

Mike T
Mike T
. What type of use did the bugs get for them?

Oh, something like this...
kafermeister
Ansen also made 4x130mm slotted mags. I'm currently looking for a set of Ansen's in 5x205mm.

I have a set of late production Americans. That dates the ones I have arround 1989 because that's about the last time they were available in the 4x130mm lug pattern. I was working in a local parts shop when I was told they were no longer available.

Mine are 15x4.5" (IIRC), and have the push-through the back center caps. Early Americans had bolt on center caps like the rim in the picture at the beginning of this thread. I can take pictures of mine if anyone is interested in what they look like. Very deep center for such a narrow rim IMHO.
kafermeister
...oops. I forgot to mention. I have seen the Ansen's in at least 2 different offsets.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.