Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: whats a dad to do?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lincoln
daughter just told me shes going to get her tongue pierced tonight, shes 19 so i told her its her choice , i bet it dont last 2 weeks heheh
Jeroen
my wife and I agreed: no dating for our daughter 'till she's 30
hey... a dad can dream, right laugh.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (lincoln @ Jan 14 2006, 05:13 PM)
daughter just told me shes going to get her tongue pierced tonight, shes 19 so i told her its her choice , i bet it dont last 2 weeks heheh

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

sorry, couldn't resist ... biggrin.gif

as far as i'm concerned, let her do whatever she wants, 19 is more than old enough.
my daughter is 16. tattoos and piercings and all.
and i would love her just as much if she hadn't.
as long as she's happy, i'm happy ...
aktion035.gif Andy
lincoln
feel the same way- just told her its her decision and before she DOES it, to consider whther or not she really wants it, will still love her no matter
TravisNeff
Just make sure whenever you talk to her to slur like she will for a couple weeks, lol.
mharrison
A neat memory idea.

While she's talking with the bad slur right afterwards, record a conversation with her. It will be a riot years down the road.
Pugbug
I thought lesbians started the tonge piercing thing.....You know.....to enhance the feeling....Let her know this.....Maybe she'll change her mind
lincoln
well, basically shes been a great kid, no trouble in school, no trouble with boys, doesnt drink, doesnt use drugs, she never really even asks for a lot of stuff like some kids will do. out of all her friends she went to school with she was the only one who graduated on time.

so ive been letting her make her own decisions since she turned 18 so she can begin to understand what she can expect in life and to get her used to accepting responsibility for her own actions. so far she is doing well , wish i had been that good a kid growin up lol
messix
while still with my ex, her 15 yr old went and got the tongue stud. i sat her down and had the talk that every man that see's that her tongue is pierced will think the same thing about her and why she did it, and is that what she really wanted people to think about her. three weeks later it was out and gone.
Joe Bob
At least it's better than a "tramp stamp" across the back above the ass crack....
Howard
agree.gif

It will heal over once she removes it. Think of it as purple hair smile.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (Howard @ Jan 14 2006, 10:14 PM)
Think of it as purple hair

what's wrong with purple hair ??? confused24.gif

biggrin.gif
jimtab
QUOTE ("*" @ Jan 14 2006, 10:10 PM)
At least it's better than a "tramp stamp" across the back above the ass crack....

Z, up here they call em LA Licence Plates..... confused24.gif
MoveQik

Hey wait a minute.....a woman that I am about to go to New York with for our ten-year anniversary just got one of those about a month ago. dry.gif

Oh well, WTF. I LOVE it!
Brando
QUOTE (Pugbug @ Jan 14 2006, 09:04 PM)
I thought lesbians started the tonge piercing thing.....You know.....to enhance the feeling....Let her know this.....Maybe she'll change her mind

... or her lifestyle!
DNHunt
It won't heal when she removes it without surgery. The hole just gets very small. If she is going to do it make sure she goes to a place that is meticulously clean. Sterile or disposable stuff. Make sure they pierce it in the midline cause there are some blood vessels that you don't want to mess with. I don't understand it but then I'm kind of old.

Having said that I've never had to deal with a problem related to pierced tongues except a couple of chipped teeth. Some people get tarter (dental calculus) on the studs and that can cause a little inflamatiion in the piercing especially on the underside of the tongue. I charge extra to clean up the studs but I think it's something that should be done. One good thing people with piercing pay more attention to their tongues so they keep their tongues cleaner.

Pierced lips are more of a problem cause the inside part of the stud causes increased gum recession on people who are prone to that

Dave
Joe Bob
QUOTE (MW 914 @ Jan 15 2006, 01:33 AM)

Hey wait a minute.....a woman that I am about to go to New York with for our ten-year anniversary just got one of those about a month ago. dry.gif

Oh well, WTF. I LOVE it!

Meaning....you can't go.....erase, erase...or pull a stud....it's a PERMANENT tattoo...

Right now my little monster took 7 hours to clean her room....in retrospect....it's NOW not that big a deal....
Allan
I was told once that it can cause a loss of taste.
drgchapman
popcorn[1].gif

Dave's on a roll this morning........
rick 918-S
I don't have girls, but I have two boys and one girlfriend living here. Heres the rules, NO tats, or Piercing or anything like it under my roof period. This is not negociable! By this time kids move out these days they are usually past the fad.

My 16 year old son has had the same girl friend for about a year. she had her lip peirced. The first time it didn't work out, she waited a month and want back and had it done again.... screwy.gif Hey, She's 18 and out of school, still lives with her parents. Soooo... That's for her parents to deal with.

I'm sure my youngest will get a Tat or 10 when he moves out. He a musician type. I just hope he doesn't turn out to look like that drummer on Meet the Barkers! Look at ME! Look at ME! cool_shades.gif Bunch of meaningless tats for the sake of getting then. jerkit.gif

In response to your thread title; Be a Dad Not a Buddy. Tats and Piercings are life course altering. When your daughter is 24 and out of collage with the tools to pursue a successful professional life, then see if she still wants to get the tongue thing done.

Let the flames begin.
Howard
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jan 14 2006, 10:23 PM)
QUOTE (Howard @ Jan 14 2006, 10:14 PM)
Think of it as purple hair

what's wrong with purple hair ??? confused24.gif

biggrin.gif

Nothing! And it grow out when you come to your senses poke.gif poke.gif
mikelsr
We have two kids (or should I say adults now). We didn't want them to get tats while we were footing the bill for food, clothing, room, college, etc. but if they got one there wasn't much we could have done except to be a bit disappointed. Neither of the kids got tats or piercings (other than ear) until they were out of college and on their own.

Yes my daughter got the tat across the lower back and my son has one on each shoulder. It's their life and they can live it as they feel fit. All in all, I guess it doesn't really matter. Both kids are teachers by profession but now as my son is looking for a different job he makes sure the tats are covered.

Mike
Dr Evil
Dr. Hunt forgot one more little thing, keyloid (sp?) scarring. Nothing looks grosser than the nice puffy scarring that can come from piercing the toung. Do a google search for toung piercing and keyloid scarring and show that to her wink.gif I wish I had the pic from my dermatology lecture....yeck.
neo914-6
You can't dictate to them as they get older and you may push them to go overboard if you try...

Mike has good advise, do they "realize" the long term effects? At least tattoos can be laser removed but at high cost. My step son has tongue and nose piercings, tats, and an increasing size earring. His lobe will probably touch his shoulder at some point screwy.gif but he's a good kid, no drugs and his employers don't seem to mind (and we expected they would)
KaptKaos
This is great stuff. I have three daughters (5, 3 and 20 months) so I need all of the advice I can get for the things I will likely encounter.

On first blush, I would likely use the "my house, my rules" approach. If the child is living under my roof, with me paying the bills, then I believe that my opinion trumps. If she is on her own and paying her own way, then its her decision.

Regardless, I agree with an earlier poster that talked about what a piecred tongue conveys to other people. I think that might be the most powerful way to persaude her not to get her tongue pierced. That and Dr. Evil's med-school pix too.
SirAndy
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ Jan 15 2006, 08:20 AM)
Be a Dad Not a Buddy. Tats and Piercings are life course altering.

that is correct. that's why you should talk to your kids about it and not just tell them "no way". because that never works. if they want it bad, they will get it anyways.
it's better to be part of the process ...

i'm past the 40 mark and i still love my tats i got when i was in my late teens.
cool_shades.gif Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE (Howard @ Jan 15 2006, 08:24 AM)
And it grow out when you come to your senses poke.gif poke.gif

well, that explains a lot! biggrin.gif

ain't gonna happen to me ...
aktion035.gif Andy
dmenche914
tell her it is her life, and that she can do as she pleases, as long as she is not living on your dime. If you pay for her expenses, house her, or such, you can tell her you will cut her off for at least the price she spends of her money on this piercing thing.

Tell her that it may make it harder to find a professional job, it is to some folks really strange looking, has health issues, costs money. Hey I know styles change, long hair was once the radical youth thing back in my days, but at least you can cut your hair with no permenant damage, bell bottom pants, well I can't fit in them anymore any way, I have a few tye dyes, but I don't wear them every where anymore.

the piercing thing is like a tatoo, it's going to last. Asker her if she can picture her grandmother or other maybe 70 year old lady with a pierced tongue. Ah the things we do when we are teens that we regret latter in life. Tell her she should wait and think about it. It is like advice about how to dress for an interview, she can dress in rags, and complain that she didn't get the job, Her clothes may have had no bearing on how she would have done on the job, but the fact is most folks do make first judgements on folks on how they present themselves. Same for the piercing. Think about it i say, cause it is not easily reversed.

See if any local hospital does cosmetic reconstruction on this, and ask if they have anyone wishing to talk to her about how folks later want them reversed, or folks that have had adverse health from it. Ask the dentist what he/she thinks. At least if she does go for it, she will have been warned,

I like the tape recording idea, think of playing it back when she is forty years old. "But Dad, everyone is doing it" yeah yeah yeah. somethings never change.
SharonG
My 24 year old sister had a tongue piercing until she started college courses to become a dental hygenist.... THEN she understood all the health ramifications (hole doesn't close, broken/chipped teeth, potential nerve damage, etc) and has never worn it again.

On a similar note, she has been told by all of the dentists/oral surgeons that employ her that she CANNOT have piercings other than ears, and she's pretty sure if the dentists she works for ever saw her tattoos (she has one around her arm, a lower back one, one on her shoulder, and I'm not sure where the 4th one is - all I know is she has 4) her job may be on the line.

I haven't had to address this issue with my kids (yet), thank heavens! blink.gif wacko.gif
djm914-6
All I can think of is the Jimmy Buffett song "perminant reminder [of a temperary feeling]".

I'm now 35 and just started thinking about getting a tattoo. I also look at much older men and wonder if I'd want some symbol when I'm that age. I can't imagine millions of old women with tramp tats over their arse. Oh the future will be interesting.

Excess piercings and tats on women always seemed to me to mean "easy". I've always heard that pierced toungs meant the person liked giving felatio (sp?). Again, "easy".
ConeDodger
QUOTE (DNHunt @ Jan 15 2006, 06:28 AM)
It won't heal when she removes it without surgery. The hole just gets very small. If she is going to do it make sure she goes to a place that is meticulously clean. Sterile or disposable stuff. Make sure they pierce it in the midline cause there are some blood vessels that you don't want to mess with. I don't understand it but then I'm kind of old.

Having said that I've never had to deal with a problem related to pierced tongues except a couple of chipped teeth. Some people get tarter (dental calculus) on the studs and that can cause a little inflamatiion in the piercing especially on the underside of the tongue. I charge extra to clean up the studs but I think it's something that should be done. One good thing people with piercing pay more attention to their tongues so they keep their tongues cleaner.

Pierced lips are more of a problem cause the inside part of the stud causes increased gum recession on people who are prone to that

Dave

Dave,
I am on the medical side of the world so the problems related to tongue studs are outside my expertise. But I have a friend who is a periodontist. He tells me that he sees some bone errosion related possibly to an electrolysis like process. Much like chrome plating. He says the stud leaches minerals from the bone and teeth. That I would think, is serious.

Once again, not my side of the building.

Rob
Howard
Tat Video
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Howard @ Jan 15 2006, 04:00 PM)
Tat Video

LMFAO laugh.gif

moral: if you get a lowerback tat, youll and up with a jamaican kid av-943.gif
GTPatrick
Being a friend or buddy to your children is not the way to go. Children need to know what the rules, regulations and laws are around the house. They need to know what the bounderies are and what will happen if they step over them or break the rules.

If you let them run wild or whatever and expect them to make the right decisions and stay out of trouble because " it's their life and not mine " you are only setting your self and the them up for some major trouble. Sure kids will make a bad decision from time to time and but hopefully they will not get into any major trouble for it.

My ex-wife moved out of town with the 2 kids and has a totally dysfunctional household for doing the same/similar thing. For example , our 16 year old daughter got pregnant with her 15 year old boyfriend , yadda yadda. screwy.gif

So be a parent and not a buddy and your kids will respect you for it. Maybe not agree with everything you do or say but at least they will respect you for it.

Just my $0.02 worth on the subject. beer.gif piratenanner.gif
Jenny
QUOTE (Dr Evil @ Jan 15 2006, 10:43 AM)
Dr. Hunt forgot one more little thing, keyloid (sp?) scarring. Nothing looks grosser than the nice puffy scarring that can come from piercing the toung. Do a google search for toung piercing and keyloid scarring and show that to her wink.gif I wish I had the pic from my dermatology lecture....yeck.

Keloids. good stuff, that. We get them in our ENT office all the time. From noses as well, but mainly just ears. Especially the cartilage piercings. You have to excise it, then follow up with months of kenalog injections.

I got a tat at 16, but it's pretty well covered up. Ears pierced twice, but just on the lobes, at 17. And at 26, I got my nose pierced.

What really creeps me out are those big stretcher tubes people put in their ear lobes. Yech!

Jen
DNHunt
Yep, forgot keloids.

Dave
Katmanken
Piercing......

When I was a young lad NOBODY pierced their bodies in the USA. Moved to Spain, and it was a cultural thing there for women to pierce their ears...

So, the Base girls began getting pierced ears.....

The ear piercers would use an ice cube to freeze the ear, place a cork behind the ear, and jab a needle into the ear... wacko.gif

The needle had thick thread on it and the thread was pulled into the ear and tied in a loop...

Usta watch the girls play with their thread loops in class...
See... ya had to rotate the thread loop in the ear to keep the tissue from attaching to the thread... blink.gif

Mmmmmmmmm.... nuttin like watching girls twirl a thread loop in their ear and seeing big old globs of puss drip outa an infected ear lobe.... icon8.gif barf.gif

Yep, always think of that when I see piercing... sad.gif
dmenche914
Pull out some national Geographics, and see folks with bones/sticks/rings in their nose, lips, ears etc... Also note how advanced that culture its, How Free it is, Life expentancy, etc.... All this body piercing stuff seem like stuff of ancient uncivilized tribal culture. Is that what is being advocated by body piercing/mutilations? We already have folks now days here doing that body cutting thing, changing their eyes, one guy wants to look like a lizard, and had his tongue slit in two parts (plus lots of tatoos, peircings etc...) It can be a real freak show at there.

I don't find it attractive at all, although as a poster mentined, it does seem to signal "Im easy, want to Fuch?" In which case a double rain coat is required.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.