Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 V8 Conversion Companies
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
germaneighter
I nearly completed a '73 V8 conversion about three years ago but had to sell. I never really got it out of my system and now am thinking of doing another. I am planning a street, auto cross, DE car. I like the 283 with alum heads but I see more and more conversions with later engines so I am still investigating what I will use.

Who are the current conversion companies?

Kennedy is still around I think. I know Rod Simpson still advertises. Is Renegade still in business? Is Desert Hybrids affiliated with Renegade? how about Red Dawg? Jade Car?

My earlier experience was that Kennedy had it all together with their equipment. Quality was top notch and they knew their stuff. But they didn't offer a complete conversion. Renegade had some nice parts, water pump, alt and engine mount, radiator, but their front of the engine water pump plates and thermostat housing looked like they were cast in someones garage and they were not willing to take them back and refund my money. The quality of Simpson's stuff was excellent but I did not like a cast adaptor plate. His attention to detail was very good.

I would like to hear opinions on who offers the best. My last car was mostly Kennedy with an aluminum Renegade radiator, water pump, and mounts The engine mount and water connections were Simpson. (I kind of chose what I considered the best of each componant.)

Looking forward to hearing your opinions....

dave

'74 Delphi Green 2.0
(purchased from phantom914 here on the club)

efeinsmith
I'm currently in the middle of a Renegade Hybrids conversion (which got delayed a few years due to other commitments). They definitely are still in business, located in Las Vegas (Renegadehybrids.com) and are quite active in this market. I had purchased the complete conversion from therm in 2000 and while talking to Scott at Renegade, they have made some improve-ments since then. I've been to their facility and was duely impressed.

Eric

GWN7
Kenedy is who the others use to supply their clutches. Jade is out of business. Renegade & D.H. are not related. Don't know much about the other two.

I stared reading about the V8 conversions 4 yrs ago, bought a roller in Nevada to build one and started to save my pennies. Well, after hiching a ride at Willow Springs at the WCC05 I had to have one. I bought a almost compleated one from Camp 914 and have looked like this ever since.

biggrin.gif

Andyrew
wrote a long post and it got deleted.. dry.gif

Andyrew
GWN was it me you hitched a ride in? I cant remember..

Laydown..

Renegadehybrids- great kit, great company.

Rod Simpson- great kit, great company, less volume than renegade

Desert Hybrids- has turned out a few very nice cars recently

Red Dawg flagship car. A nice writup on them to is there...

Best price would be mix and match... Kit would be easyer.

Did mine for just about 1500 with rebuilt engine(included in that price). Been pouring money into it ever since screwy.gif. aftermarket programable FI, dizzy, new exhast.. then theres the non drivetrain related stuff...

Have fun!
marks914
I have a Desert Hybrid setup in my car. I was one of the first guinea pigs for his kit. David is very helpful and down to earth.

At one of the other companies the guy is very arrogant and standoffish. Even when I needed to buy a part from them I coldn't because he was being such an a$$hole. Who needs to buy a $100 throttle cable when I can get one from Terrycable for $35 or a $1000 radiator when the local shop can build the same one for $275?

DH, Renegade or Rod Simpson kits are all good stuff. I think the only bad thing about the Simpson kit is the wacky engine mount bar.

Just my two cents

Mark
GWN7
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Jan 15 2006, 01:53 AM)
GWN was it me you hitched a ride in? I cant remember..

Actually it was your dad that took me out.....so it's all his fault biggrin.gif
neo914-6
Dave,

Check out my signature to see how many conversions there are, much more choices these days.

Parts are available from the "big" three kit manufacturers and prices are comparable. You already know you can save if you go with the KEP adapter/clutch and a radiator and mounts from a kit mnft. I went from Jaide to KEP(returned parts) then to Renegade. Customer service seems to vary or depend on the time of day even with KEP. I don't know about DH but I hear he is very responsive. The best resource is the people on this forum or a guy who's already built exactly what you want to build...

Welcome and have fun with it! beerchug.gif
germaneighter
Can I get some opinions about propricer's 914 V8 book auctioned on EBAY?

Is it worthy the money?.....$69.14 I think

dave
Crazyhippy
My opinion is fairly well documented. And i will admit that i am a bit biased, but Renegade is in a whole different league than those others.

-Jaide is no more (had a great idea however)
-Red Dawg is a joke (i wrote the page linking to their "show car" biggrin.gif )
-Rod Simpson is a great guy, but is doing the work in his home garage.
-Desert Hybrids are like the chineese, the have reverse engineered everything they have. The car the did recently was really pretty, but it still had 4 lug brakes for the love of god (what other corners are they cutting??)
-Kennedy makes good stuff, btu they do not make a complete kit. They are the way to go if you are doing a "different" engine (Ferrari to 901 adapter anyone?)
-Renegade is #1 for a reason (and they are still #1, so it wasn't me dry.gif ). The 2 complaints you hear about Renegade are Price, and it not working w/ other peoples kits. Pay attention to both of these. You get what you pay for, so do it right the 1st time.

I worked for Renegade for 4 years. I have no doubt that i could build anything i need for my car, and make any of it work, and i still payed the bucks to know it is done right the 1st time. (Subaru kit is on it's way biggrin.gif smilie_pokal.gif biggrin.gif )Even bought the $1000 dollar radiator, because it works, it's proven, and it's guaranteed in these cars.

BJ(i have some less PC oppinions via PM if you're interested)H
914GT
QUOTE (Crazyhippy @ Jan 16 2006, 12:39 PM)
-Desert Hybrids are like the chineese, the have reverse engineered everything they have. The car the did recently was really pretty, but it still had 4 lug brakes for the love of god (what other corners are they cutting??)

No 'corners' were cut on the project and it was built to our goals and intent to build a quality basic V8 conversion car on something that resembled a budget. I challenge you to build a V8 conversion combined with a total restoration and then try to make a profit on it. I seriously doubt that you can. If you include a 5 lug 911 suspension conversion and wheels, non-stock transaxles, etc. you only add much more to the build costs and you will not recoup those costs when you try to sell.

My opinion is that Desert Hybrids is not like the 'chineese'. The parts that they build, such as water pumps, brackets, hose fittings and radiator assembly are high quality and in most cases superior in design to other suppliers. Not that there's much reverse engineering required for these basic parts, but there's nothing wrong with looking at what someone is selling and then improving on it.
germaneighter
How about that propricer's 914 V8 book auctioned on EBAY?

Is it worthy the money?.....$69.14 Has anyone purchased one?

Oh yea, I thought I would try to track down my last V8 project.

I sold it to a guy from Kentucky. He had the longest trailor I've ever seen. Put the orange V8 car and the black parts car end to end on it. He loaded the engine/trans and all the misc parts in the back of their pick-up. I think I had two sets of 2.0 fuchs that went with the deal.

The engine was a .060 over 283 with AIR aluminum heads, street demon carb.

I can't remember the guy's name but he got a smokin' deal.

Does anyone know if this car ever got finished? Maybe the owner is here?

Crazyhippy
I would pass on the book personally, all the info you want can be found here if you ask.

BJH beer.gif
neo914-6
QUOTE (germaneighter @ Jan 16 2006, 06:44 PM)
How about that propricer's 914 V8 book auctioned on EBAY?

Is it worthy the money?.....$69.14 Has anyone purchased one?

I haven't seen it but Ed's a sharp guy and is works with the local Ultima manufacturer. The cost is "negliable" compared to what the overall project will cost. If the information saves you from spending or loosing $69.14 within the projects scope, you got it for free... burnout.gif
Root_Werks
I recently acquired a 73' 1.7 that I would like to put a V8 in. I would actually like to go the route of the 215V8 or a Rover 3.5 or 3.9 V8 'cause they are light and cheap to build hp from. I see Kennedy has the adapter plate for a 215, but I wonder if anyone makes one for a Rover V8? Or is it the same bolt pattern still as the 215 it was dirived from? idea.gif
andys
QUOTE (Root_Werks @ Jan 17 2006, 09:43 AM)
I recently acquired a 73' 1.7 that I would like to put a V8 in. I would actually like to go the route of the 215V8 or a Rover 3.5 or 3.9 V8 'cause they are light and cheap to build hp from. I see Kennedy has the adapter plate for a 215, but I wonder if anyone makes one for a Rover V8? Or is it the same bolt pattern still as the 215 it was dirived from? idea.gif

Can't say with 100% confidence, but I suspect the bolt patterns remained unchanged. Rover bought the 215 from Buick. Do some surfing; there's a site (or forum) in the UK for Rover performance stuff. If you get the four barrel version of the Oldsmobile 215 (which has better heads than the Buick), it is rated at a very respectable 195HP with 10:1 CR. I think all the major's still carry performance goodies for these motors. Years ago, I saw two 215 cu in motor 914 conversions; sweet, I always thought.

Andys
Mueller
QUOTE (Root_Werks @ Jan 17 2006, 10:43 AM)

Dan,

I'd bet money (not a lot smile.gif ) that the bolt patterns are the same and that Kennedy has done a more modern engine already.....

as for the
and cheap to build hp from.

that might be false economy...of course I've never built one or bought parts for one so I could be dead wrong.....

back to the original post....

$1000 radiator when the local shop can build the same one for $275?
bs.gif smile.gif 'cause I highly doubt that $275 includeds the fans, the sheetmetal and the ducting smash.gif

As with anything, it can be done cheaper, but a lot of the "cheaply" done radiator setups, look cheap....granted there are a few homebuilt units that came out really nice........my homebuilt radiator setup looked like cr@p....I think I've deleted all pictures to protect myself from ridicule screwy.gif

I'd stick with one of the main 3 companies for for parts....I'd lean more towards Renegade mostly due to it seems they'll be around longer or are more focused on the business......I've never seen the Dessert stuff up close, but it does look nice on the web and I have yet to hear anything negative about them except from CrazzyHippy.

I do like the engine/transmission mount from Redawg, I helped replace a clutch in a ZZ4 powered 914 that had this setup and it was very nice to work with.

Hybrid_Teener
Has anyone done a northstar 914 conversion?
Mueller
QUOTE (Hybrid_Teener @ Jan 17 2006, 11:49 AM)

common (or used to be) motor used in dune buggies....over-rated engine with problems...newer Chevy V8s better choice (lighter, better value) if you need to go with a modern V8
Root_Werks
I like the 215 or Rover V8 idea. I knew a guy years ago who had a 215 in a 914. Well done conversion. The car still felt light and nimble which I also like. If the Rover 3.5/3.9 family bolts up, those engines can be had for almost nothing. they are 220hp stock I think? idea.gif

If not, I will go with a 327 with alumimumumumum heads and intake to try to keep things as light as possible. Build it to rev, not torque. driving.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (Root_Werks @ Jan 17 2006, 12:24 PM)
I like the 215 or Rover V8 idea. I knew a guy years ago who had a 215 in a 914. Well done conversion. The car still felt light and nimble which I also like. If the Rover 3.5/3.9 family bolts up, those engines can be had for almost nothing. they are 220hp stock I think? idea.gif

If not, I will go with a 327 with alumimumumumum heads and intake to try to keep things as light as possible. Build it to rev, not torque. driving.gif

i'm all for lightness.......220hp would work and be a nice driver without being too powerful which I think many of the 914 conversions have silly power which is mostly good for impressing the nieghborhood kids smile.gif
Hybrid_Teener
Who needs a v8?

user posted image

hijacked.gif
andys
QUOTE (Root_Werks @ Jan 17 2006, 11:24 AM)

Anyone have the late model Rover V8 specs? HP,TQ, weight, stand alone EFI?

There's really nothing light about a 327, even with aluminum heads. Even the 5.0 SBF (with Al heads)is nearly 100lbs lighter.

Andys
Root_Werks
From what I can tell, going with the 3.9 would be the best way to go. The 3.5's use the flapper box while the 3.9's use the MAS sensor. Easier to hook up in another car.

You can get a complete slightly dinged up Rover for around $1000. There have been a few up in my area I have been watching them. Pull the engine, brain harnes and such and recycle the rest of the car. Probably get more than $1k for all the body panels! laugh.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (andys @ Jan 17 2006, 12:59 PM)
Anyone have the late model Rover V8 specs? HP,TQ, weight, stand alone EFI?

Andys

well, acording to this website: olds engine FAQ

a fully dressed 215 with 4bbl carb weighs 305 pounds !!!!

Mueller
QUOTE (Root_Werks @ Jan 17 2006, 02:08 PM)
From what I can tell, going with the 3.9 would be the best way to go. The 3.5's use the flapper box while the 3.9's use the MAS sensor. Easier to hook up in another car.

You can get a complete slightly dinged up Rover for around $1000. There have been a few up in my area I have been watching them. Pull the engine, brain harnes and such and recycle the rest of the car. Probably get more than $1k for all the body panels! laugh.gif

damn you Dan smile.gif

now you got me searching and looking wacko.gif

aluminum V8 stuff....olds/rover

Root_Werks
happy11.gif I was just checking out that site earlier myself. Cool!

I was thinking of a couple other ideas for this latest RootMobile. If it's going to be a dedicated water cooled car, there is a decent amount of metal that can be removed in the engine bay and even the front trunk since you loose it anyway. Probably only good for about 15lbs of stuff, but it will look nice and clean.

BTW - this car is a rusty bucket in the hell hole area. So I am not cutting up a virgin 914. I need to rebuild the long(s). So I figured, what the hell, why not a V8?
joefri187
QUOTE (germaneighter @ Jan 16 2006, 09:30 AM)
Can I get some opinions about propricer's 914 V8 book auctioned on EBAY?

Is it worthy the money?.....$69.14 I think

dave

The book is well worth the investment. I highly recommend it even if you have done one of these before. A friend of mine who restores European sports cars bought one just for the Porsche info alone (never plans to convert one to a V8).....

Bob
aircooledboy
QUOTE (Hybrid_Teener @ Jan 17 2006, 01:49 PM)

RUN AWAY!!! RUN AWAY!!!! ohmy.gif

Dude, I just spent every free minute I had over the last 3 months rebuilding the "Baby Northstar" in my Olds Aurora. Exact same engine as the Caddy, just shrunk down the bore from 4.6 to 4.0. I'll wrap up the installation tommorrow night.

First of all, with the height of the engine with the stock heads, I can't imagine it would ever fit. More importantly, I had heard them referred to as "disposable engines" before my great rebuild adventure, now I know why. The blocks may as well have an life span stamped on them of 100,000 miles. At 103k, I puked a head gasket. Did some reading on the net, and found that my experience was nearly universal, and engines with more than 120k without a head problem are nearly unheard of. The head bolts let go. Had to do very expensive specialty inserts to repair them, and STILL snapped one in half on re-torque. Had to find a decent core block, and that was not easy. The cylinders are sleeved and cannot be bored, and the heads themselves have some sort of baked in coating for valve guides that cannot be renewed once it goes bye bye.

Smooth powerful engine when it runs, but the potential problems WAY out weight the upside. Loves me my 350 SBC, and I cannot say enough good things about my experience with Renegade. w00t.gif
beerchug.gif
sean_v8_914
someone asked about Ed's book on Ebay:

yes, I think there is $70 worth of info in there. I have already assembled 2 conversions before I got his book. color pics on every page. tables and charts with gearing and brake options. he even has a price list with different stages of trim from el cheap-o to super car v8 914. there is also a list of suppliers in the back

Perhaps Ed could post the table of contents here. He posts here on teh club but is shy to pimp his book here
propricer
Never considered myself as a pimp but, per Sean's suggestion, here is a copy of the table of contents ...

sean_v8_914
yup, pimp. put her out there for the fellas to see. of course on your resume you should list it as marketing executive
neo914-6
QUOTE (sean_v8_914 @ Jan 30 2006, 09:03 AM)
someone asked about Ed's book on Ebay:

yes, I think there is $70 worth of info in there. I have already assembled 2 conversions before I got his book. color pics on every page. tables and charts with gearing and brake options. he even has a price list with different stages of trim from el cheap-o to super car v8 914. there is also a list of suppliers in the back

Perhaps Ed could post the table of contents here. He posts here on teh club but is shy to pimp his book here

agree.gif
Very informative reference book, you CAN'T soley rely on the conversion company's documentation or lack thereof. You'd think they'd invest a little more to avert all the questions. Unless you're Scott who likes to blab how great "his" product is and "your" problems are not with his parts... laugh.gif
soloracer
Instead of the Northstar or Rover/Buick V8 I would get the 4.0 litre Lexus V8 from Toyota. They are mutli valve, light weight, make really good power, can rev quite high and best of all can be found fairly cheaply at the local wreckers. Kennedy makes an adapter for them so it can be done. I believe there is a member here who is doing one as we speak. I have also seen a very high quality F40 replica built in New Zealand that used a twin turbo Lexus V8.
porschev8
QUOTE (Hybrid_Teener @ Jan 17 2006, 10:49 AM)

I know of a guy in Utah with a Norstar 914 conversion.
-Tim
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.