Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: how to install guages
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jporsche914
I am thinking before i move to arizona it would be a good idea to invest in some guages i am going to buy an oil pressure guage a oil temperature guage and a cylinder head temperture from VDO. I am just not sure were and how to install the guages and what size senders i need to buy. I was just wondering if you guys could help me out.
Thanks,
James
McMark
Senders:

Oil Pressure - use a rubber brake line to replace the idiot light sender, right next to the distributor, the sender mounts on the end of the line. It doesn't fit without relocating it.
Oil Temp - replace the sender on the bottom of the engine. If yours doesn't have one you need to get the mount from an engine that did.
CHT - goes under a spark plug, #3 will work.

Guages:

Put them wherever you want. If you have a center console, ditch the clock and the stock oil temp guage. Morphenspectra sells an A-Pillar guage mount as well.
jporsche914
I was just doing a search on ask jeeves and there was a web site were a guy used a sender that replaced the drain plug. Does anyone know the part # for this piece.
TINCAN914
icon_bump.gif Can ayone help the man?
Joe Ricard
Make surethe plug is the right thread and seating surface. Problemis that the senderwill point straightdown and be subject to anything and everything you run over. instant oil leak.

I put the same three gauges where the radio goes. Works for me.
McMark
AFAIK, the drain plug setup doesn't work because of thread size issues. But if you want a definitive answer you're going to have to wait for someone else to reply or do some research yourself. Check www.shoptalkforums.com
Bleyseng
Get a Taco plate with the recess for the oil temp sender as it keeps it away getting smashed via road debris.

CHT from VDO works great

I like a combo gauge from a 911 with oil temp and oil pressure right there on the dash.

Gas gauge is relocated somewhere else.....
Trekkor
I like the 911 combo in the dash, too.

I have an aftermarket VDO fuel guage in the center console in place of the oil temp guage and get to keep the clock for DE session monitoring wink.gif

KT
dmenche914
It helps to hog out a little of the head metal around the spark plug hole to give the CHT sensor a place to sit with less risk of it spinning and tearing eh connection at each time the spark plug is changed. Be sure no metal chips fall inside the hole!

This is a smart choice in gages, very useful.
Bleyseng
QUOTE (dmenche914 @ Jan 15 2006, 10:25 AM)
It helps to hog out a little of the head metal around the spark plug hole to give the CHT sensor a place to sit with less risk of it spinning and tearing eh connection at each time the spark plug is changed. Be sure no metal chips fall inside the hole!

This is a smart choice in gages, very useful.

Yeah, if you are running 450 degree head temps -PULL OVER
msglaigaie
I was reading about a 356 racer that had put four small temp gauges on his right side lower dash. they were hooked up to sensors on each of his exhaust dumps just away from the flange. Idea behind this was as he was pushing the four cam rather hard, if one gauge dipped low, it would alert him to early damage. Thus he could save large damage to a vintage engine. Maybe on a plug in panel that you could use only on track days. The "track day gauges" could plug in under the dash and then attach to the center console or hang off the dash or you could hold them in your teeth. MSG L
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.