Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: stuck on i-5 please help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
cbenitah
i'm using internet on my cell phone. I got stuck on i-5 going towards san diego from la. I was driving 75 and then the car died. The tach just went down. It turns over but won't start. If you know whats wrong please call me. 858 353 5459
right now i'm stuck between an on ramp and the freeway. Waiting for AAA to towe me to the next exit at least. Thanks from a stranded friend
Aaron Cox
put your tach wire back on..... its happened to me.

ill call ya.
Aaron Cox
ok. 74 ljet.

he had it tuned up by don clark yesterday and was running "super good". don said he was getting misfiring due to the distributori (huh.gif)

he checked all coil connections. all there. doesnt know if he has points or a pertronix style replacement.

not getting spark is what it feels/sounds like. it cranks but no fire.

he was driving, when the tach went dead and he had no power. makes me think electrical.

someone help the guy

AA
TINCAN914
Where is he exactly?
If he is close by I can't do much for him with advice, but could put him up for the night...
rpmmaxxed
what sounds like this same problem happened to me today.

Was a cylinder head temp ground wire, I think thats what it was...

Engine would turn over all day, and no spark.

Started, drove 20 feet, hit a dip, and bump started it(moved the wire?) and she fired up.

Fixed it though...

Hopefull this may help.
cbenitah
ok. I'm at a parking lot in la baz.. Gonna park it here. Towe would be 400 home. Any one has a trailer and would like to lend me? I'm bumde out. Thought i fixed it yest. Well. I'm waiting for a ride for now. Thanks
gregrobbins
I can't do much from Phoenix but bump this to folks to read and hopefully help.

boldblue.gif
Brando
Sounds like dead points and condensor. It's happened to me.

Also check that your ECU's plug is firmly seated.

Check that the AFM's connector is firmly seated.

Other than that, CHT is last guess.
lagunero
sorry, just got in from Joe's. when you check this thread, PM me.
cbenitah
QUOTE (lagunero @ Jan 14 2006, 10:38 PM)
sorry, just got in from Joe's. when you check this thread, PM me.

im here... any news on what i can do??
Aaron Cox
find out what is inside your dizzy. points or a points replacement module. your not getting spark....
bd1308
also, from another L-jet owner....

check ALL AND EVERY connection from the dual relay....

if the black wire comes out, no sparky...

if you get no spark, L-jet doesnt give your engine any fuel AND it shuts off the fuel pump....

b
cbenitah
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Jan 14 2006, 10:57 PM)
find out what is inside your dizzy. points or a points replacement module. your not getting spark....

wish i could do all of this... im thinking of finding a trailer and haul it back to Don and let him look at it. Since after he played with it for 1h the car ran better than when i got it.. it was 24 amazing hours i got anyway...

THANKS guys for all help you are giving me here. being able to post through a cell phone is fantastic, getting a phone call not even 1 min after i submited it is just proof of how good his club is!

i will now have 914world.com as a bookmark in there..

got some pics that are coming up in a bit ar15.gif mueba.gif
goose2
no spark and no tach...sounds coil circuit related. check for power to coil with key on, check coil and tach connections...lots of other possibilities, where to start confused24.gif
bd1308
dude...

we can save you 400 dollars.

I can help.

b
cbenitah
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
cbenitah
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Jan 14 2006, 11:11 PM)
dude...

we can save you 400 dollars.

I can help.

b

that would be fantastic if we could... since the new dist. will be 400 if i cant find a cheaper one....

but how?
lagunero
I'm calling you in the morning. Out.
bd1308
your distributor isnt dead...

either your points are dead or your points replacement is dead.

pm me a good time to call...i'm like the ultimate at road-side fix-ups.....

i carry two spare dizzy's in my trunk...fully loaded and gapped.

if you can, grab a flathead, a 10mm wrench, a sharpie marker, ignition points, a condensor (available from FLAPS) and a coke and pm me when i can call you...volt meter if you got one too...it would help tremendously. Otherwise get one of those "low voltage" outdoor garden lamp bulbs and some wire....

i'll get ya going in 10 minutes.....

b
cbenitah
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Jan 14 2006, 11:20 PM)

if you can, grab a flathead, a 10mm wrench, a sharpie marker, ignition points, a condensor (available from FLAPS) and a coke and pm me when i can call you...volt meter if you got one too...it would help tremendously. Otherwise get one of those "low voltage" outdoor garden lamp bulbs and some wire....

b

well, that sounds great smilie_pokal.gif but right now im in san diego 85 miles from my car.. its at the albertsons parking lot.. all alone.. and now i just need it to get moved to Don's work shop... since i need this car to be reliable (as much as it can get hahah) for a while.. i dont have another car and i cant get up there to "test" work on it if you understand...

But if anyone is close aka, happend to have a trailer and is going by Rainbow (temecula) CA... drop my car of at dons.. its open since i cant lock it!

well, thanks guys, i hope i can move it by tomorrow.. its not easy when this is your only car. i cant get to school w/o it or nothing.

thanks guys though! you are the best!
bd1308
QUOTE (cbenitah @ Jan 15 2006, 01:32 AM)
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Jan 14 2006, 11:20 PM)

b

well, that sounds great smilie_pokal.gif but right now im in san diego 85 miles from my car.. its at the albertsons parking lot.. all alone.. and now i just need it to get moved to Don's work shop... since i need this car to be reliable (as much as it can get hahah) for a while.. i dont have another car and i cant get up there to "test" work on it if you understand...

But if anyone is close aka, happend to have a trailer and is going by Rainbow (temecula) CA... drop my car of at dons.. its open since i cant lock it!

well, thanks guys, i hope i can move it by tomorrow.. its not easy when this is your only car. i cant get to school w/o it or nothing.

thanks guys though! you are the best!

um....

my 914 is also my DD, so you and me are in the same boat.

sad.gif I hope everything works out okay....If you could get a ride or something out there, lemme know and i'll help you out....

b
TonyAKAVW
Okay, I had an Ljet car and had a similar problem. As mentioned above, the CHT temp sensor wire if it comes loose, can short out and cause the engine to stop running. Either way, there are a fwe things that will keep an engine from running...

1. No gas. Check to see if the pump is pumping gas. Maybe the fuel pump died. This can be checked byh either listening to the pump, or disconnecting it and letting it shoot fuel out onto the ground.. (be careful)

2. No spark. Disconnect a wire going to a spark plug while cranking. This will be hard I assume without another person.... And let it arc to the engine tin or someother good ground. if you have a spark, then there's got to be a fuel delivery problem (could be a pump, or no injector signal)

Once you've determined that you are getting a spark and gas, you have ruled out a lot of problems. If you are missing one or the other you can try to figure out how to fix it. If its your ignition points or module you won't have a spark... If no fuel then a disconencted fuel line or a bad pump.

If you are truly getting no igniting fuel of any kind (no noise other than the starter) and the cranking just keeps going I'd be willing to bet its ignition or the ECU thinking the CHT is gone, or something like that.

-Tony
cbenitah
QUOTE (TonyAKAVW @ Jan 14 2006, 11:38 PM)
Okay, I had an Ljet car and had a similar problem. As mentioned above, the CHT temp sensor wire if it comes loose, can short out and cause the engine to stop running. Either way, there are a fwe things that will keep an engine from running...

1. No gas. Check to see if the pump is pumping gas. Maybe the fuel pump died. This can be checked byh either listening to the pump, or disconnecting it and letting it shoot fuel out onto the ground.. (be careful)

2. No spark. Disconnect a wire going to a spark plug while cranking. This will be hard I assume without another person....

Once you've determined that you are getting a spark and gas, you have ruled out a lot of problems. If you are missing one or the other you can try to figure out how to fix it. If its your ignition points or module you won't have a spark... If no fuel then a disconencted fuel line or a bad pump.

If you are truly getting no igniting fuel of any kind (no noise other than the starter) and the cranking just keeps going I'd be willing to bet its ignition or the ECU thinking the CHT is gone, or something like that.

-Tony

just the guy i wanted!

haha, i want that suby engine so bad! (2.5 NA) but my $4K wont go far i guess???

i dont have a spark, my firend helped me with that.. no spark what so ever... it also looked like the dist points were closed.. i think i said that right... it gets fuel i think... hmm,
TonyAKAVW
$4k would totally pay for a Subaru conversion, assuming you do some work yourself. Anybody can do this conversion. I have no special tools, practically no room, and I'm in to it for very very little money.

Sorry I must have glossed over the comment about no spark. rolleyes.gif

-Tony
cbenitah
QUOTE (TonyAKAVW @ Jan 14 2006, 11:49 PM)
$4k would totally pay for a Subaru conversion, assuming you do some work yourself. Anybody can do this conversion. I have no special tools, practically no room, and I'm in to it for very very little money.

Sorry I must have glossed over the comment about no spark. rolleyes.gif

-Tony

but it would take a long time to locate the needed parts right? i will do a suby conv in time.. but i need the money since i dont belive that me and my friend can do it.. he just rebuilt his bmw 2002 motor though.. but it seams to be a lot into it, since you can buy the parts for roughly 1500-2000 and then if someone would do the instlation it would come out to 6k??!? that doesnt make sense to me...

is it super expensive to do it at a shop? or maybe do most of it mysef and then make them install the motor? i dunno
Dr. Roger
i dont have a spark, my firend helped me with that.. no spark what so ever... it also looked like the dist points were closed..

dude,
when you get back to your car, make sure that within the distributor when the "lobe" get s to the high point your points open ever so slightly. approximately .015" i think... when the points open, that is what make the spark plugs spark. yes, a huge oversimplification... but might help.
Brando
You want that gap between the two contacts at about 0.015 (as mentioned)... Or, the thickness of a business card, matchstick... As britt mentioned, check the dual relay packs... that the wires are still in there. They get shoddy or no connection = nadda.

If you're getting no spark, try swapping a new coil (Bosch blue), it may have fired it's last spark and it's always good to keep a spare in your "emergency road kit", which should also contain a spare fuel pump, two sets of points and condensors, extra plug wires, some wrenches, brake fluid, 2 quarts of oil, 3ft length of extra wire and fuses. Definitely add a jack if you don't have the stock one.

Anyhow, the coil's probably smoked. If when cranking it over you don't see the tach bounce... Coil = deadeth.

Whoops! Scratch that... L-Jet, the Tach is ECU-Controlled.
Allan
What's the latest?

Get it running?

BTW, did you happen to see a dark grey /6 conversion while you were at Dons place? Was the motor out of it?
bd1308
confused24.gif

i dunno whats going on...
lagunero
Chris, left a message.

Here's the deal SoCal members. I have a trailer on loan until mid next week. Unfortunately I do not have the time today or tomorrow to tow his car to Temecula. I can however p/u his car later today from the lot and push it (I hope) onto the trailer and bring it back to Lake Forest. I will lend my suburban to the brave soul who is willing to tow his car with my truck and a third party trailer.
cbenitah
QUOTE (Headrage @ Jan 15 2006, 08:22 AM)
What's the latest?

Get it running?

BTW, did you happen to see a dark grey /6 conversion while you were at Dons place? Was the motor out of it?

I havent been able to get up there... its not easy to travel 85miles w/o a car.. and i dont know that many people yet. So im trying to figure out options..

yes i saw your car, and the engine is still inside... what size /6 is it?
Allan
QUOTE (cbenitah @ Jan 15 2006, 10:56 AM)
what size /6 is it?

Bummer, I was hoping it was out and apart. sad.gif

Maybe this week...
DonTraver
I'd really like to help, but I had a tooth worked on last friday, was doing fine, until I drove home from the BBQ last night. Made it home and took the pain killers the dentist gave me, and I'm still taking them. I DON'T drive on pain killers. Cops don't care that it's prescribed, it's still a DUI. I've got better things to do with $20-30 thousand, that's the going rate here in CA now days. So pain killers and cars don't mix, see the dentist tomorrow.

There's a autocross today at Qualcomm, I'm pretty sure most of the guys are down there, I was registered for it too. Maybe after it's over, some of the guys will check the site and be able to help you out.

Sorry and Good Luck, Don

Dave_Darling
QUOTE (Brando @ Jan 15 2006, 02:28 AM)
Whoops! Scratch that... L-Jet, the Tach is ECU-Controlled.

No, it runs off the points, just the way the tachs in the D-jet cars do. The EFI also runs off the ignition points in the L-jet cars, perhaps that's where the confusion is coming from?

Anyway, I agree with checking the points and condensor. Make sure that the points do open and close. Make sure that the "hot" side of the coil (fatter black wire, may have a red stripe) gets +12V when the key is on. You can use a ground wire touched to the (-) terminal of the coil and removed to simulate the points opening and closing (unplug the points wire, the tach wire, and the FI wire from that terminal first!) to test the coil. If you get a spark from the center terminal (run the wire about 1/8" from a ground) when you do that, the coil is OK.

--DD
cbenitah
i wanted to go there as well.. to show that my car actually runs fine.. Don did an amazing job..

ok, question. in sweden you can tie a towe rope onto a car and towe it that way "drag it" is that ok here as well?? I just need to get the car to Don or to someones house... so its not exposed to theifs..

what do u guys think i should do? i dont know where to loo.. tried uhal but dont get how to rent something that can bring my car home.. since i dont have a big truck that can take a trailer...

or if anyone is willing to meet up there at the parking lot and try to egt it started.. if you have all the needed supplies I'll bring the $$$ and the beer.gif
cbenitah
does anyone have a trailer i can use tonight? i may be able to get at car with a towe hitch... but uhal wont rent me the trailer.. i think its a foreign thing!
Allan
Get ahold of Alberto.
cbenitah
I did.. he is calling me back soon.. i hope this works.. i can probably get up there around 8 or 9 tonight.. so if i could use the trailer/truck it would be great.. im crossing my fingers
Joe Bob
AAA is your 914s BESTEST FRIEND....get the one with the 100 mile tow.
cbenitah
QUOTE ("*" @ Jan 15 2006, 02:51 PM)

u have to be a member for a longer time than 4months to get that...... i hae 7 miles/24h.. so i could use them a week straight 7 miles a day=they would ar15.gif me
Howard
If you get up to the car, humor me. Remove dizzy cap, open the points with your fingers, slide a dollar bill or business card between them. Work it back and forth a couple of times and see if you get a spark. Tiny bit of oil or crud in there and no spark, sparky.
cbenitah
Finally...

Now the car is safe outside Victory Motorports in Temecula..
Thanks to alberto!!! Thank you so much for helping me out, you deserve smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif
im amazed that there are so many goodhearted people in this club. Thanks all of you for the help!

Cris
cbenitah
Got the diagonse from Don.. Broken Points. He got the car running but now its time to see what else is in there so i dont get broken down again (at least not in the next month)
Lou W
smilie_pokal.gif Glad to hear its fixed. smile.gif
SLITS
QUOTE (cbenitah @ Jan 16 2006, 02:39 PM)
Got the diagonse from Don.. Broken Points. He got the car running but now its time to see what else is in there so i dont get broken down again (at least not in the next month)

Ah yes, another testimonal for Crane / Mallory / Petronix / Compufire, etc......
Joe Bob
QUOTE (cbenitah @ Jan 15 2006, 03:55 PM)
QUOTE ("*" @ Jan 15 2006, 02:51 PM)

u have to be a member for a longer time than 4months to get that...... i hae 7 miles/24h.. so i could use them a week straight 7 miles a day=they would ar15.gif me

I'm an old fucher.....32 years as a member....got my first card when I was 16....yeah...add it up....
DonTraver
Cool, glad to hear it's fixed.

Later, Don
lagunero
QUOTE (cbenitah @ Jan 16 2006, 01:39 PM)
Got the diagonse from Don.. Broken Points.

Hey Cris, what did I tell ya? Easy laugh.gif
cbenitah
QUOTE (lagunero @ Jan 16 2006, 04:34 PM)
Got the diagonse from Don.. Broken Points.

Hey Cris, what did I tell ya? Easy laugh.gif

hahah, maybe if you know.. i dont (yet) give me time and when I'm 43 I'll the the master in here! My 914 will grow old with me!
Brando

While you're in there, go pointless (optical or perrtonix/computfire).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.