Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: San Diego Autocrosses
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DonTraver
Was talking to Joe Sharp at the BBQ yesterday, he said that a few of you guys where talking about coming down and running the autocrosses in San Diego. Cool

If any of you guys want to or decide to come down the night before instead of getting up and driving down the morning of, what time would that be, 4am, uggg, your welcome to crash at my place. I live about 3 miles from Qualcomm. I live in Normal Heights, it's like a little hidden neighborhood in SD. Plenty of Rest., etc withing walking distance.

Just let me know'

Later, Don
Allan
Hey I know where Normal Heights is. Had a friend that was attending UCSD and lived there. There's an Armenian restaurant there called Moms Bakery that had awsome food.

BTW, how often do they run a/x's there?
Brando
I think 2 to 4 times a year for San Diego region...

Not sure about Orange Coast (Silicon Shore) though...
Joe Ricard
I'm in. oh wait I don't live there anymore. Damn it. I would love to run the red neck racer at the Murph.... er I mean Qualcom.
DonTraver
There is 7 autocrosses and 2 DE's before July, there isn't a schedule for the last half of the year yet. Hell with that schedule, you could have your Time Trial Licience real quick.

If I remember right, the DE's required arm restraints for 914's. The last DE I went to with the 6 required them

Later, Don
Lou W
Ah, I don't want sound stupid... but what are arm restraints?

DonTraver
They are seatbelt additions that go on your forearms and attact to the 5 or 6 points harness. Hope that isn't to confusing. Go to racerwholesale.com type in arm restraints, they go for about $25.

Later,
Lou W
Why do they require them for 914's only?
hmeeder
Started out as a requirement for all "non-metal roofed cars" so all the cabrios and 914s had to have them (starngely enough, 911 targas are made of steel, so this is not required of them.

3 years ago at began due to a requirement by California Speedway for all open cars and was adopted to ensure that everyone with a cabrio would be prepared for the DE we were running there that year. Since then, it was written in the rules and stuck. Theory and purpose of the restraints are that during a roll over crash your arms are kept within the confines of the structure of the car. That way they don't get sliced off like stumps necessitating extra cleanup due to a bleed out and irritatiing paperwork associated with the likely death associated with all this unpleasantness.

San Diego PCA runs 10-12 AXs a year and about 4 DEs at the Q (other DEs and TTs are held at tracks throughout the Southwest, but that's a different sub-series with the region.) I would like to invite everyone to take Don up on his nice offer. His place is very close to the venue and when you get bored you cann all tell ghost stories and have pillow fights. The pillow fight offer is open only to those of you that are currently in a sorority, sorry.

A shot from yesterday's AX. Six 914s in attendance. Usually, we have more.

user posted image
DonTraver
I would be very happy to host a sorority, lol.

Later, Don
Mueller
QUOTE (hmeeder @ Jan 16 2006, 02:03 PM)
A shot from yesterday's AX. Six 914s in attendance. Usually, we have more.

user posted image

hmmmm.....any reason why the fenders had been cut instead of just rolling the fenders???
Brando
How many runs per event?
DonTraver
Two autocrosses next month, Feb 5th and Feb 18th. Both in the West Lot. IMHO the West Lot is the only place worth running, the other lots are just too torn up, at least they were the last time I looked at them.

Anyone wants to come down, let me know, if you're not a PCA member, I can put you on mine as a guest. Cost is $40 prereg, great way to sort your car out.

Later, Don
Brando
Don, can you please post up the requirements SD Region has for their autocross events? Safety requirements, necessary hardware, start-time, etc... Thank you!
DonTraver
Here's some info I pulled of the SDR Website.

Autocross are exhilaratingly fun and competitive events. Most Autocrosses are held in the large parking lot at Qualcomm Stadium.

How do you get ready?
Don't worry about any advanced driving skills being needed! We'll have an instructor help you get comfortable with your car and how you'll be using it. You'll be amazed how much you'll learn and how much more comfortable you'll become with your Porsche in just one or two autocrosses!

Make sure your car is prepared - ensure everything is tight, well maintained and ready to be driven a bit harder than you normally would. If you have doubts, visit your favorite Porsche repair facility and have a "safety inspection" performed. Make sure your gas tank is full, your tires are properly inflated, and you have enough brakes and tires for a "road trip". If you wouldn't drive cross country on those tires, they're not ready for an autocross! Take everything out of your car that may go flying around while cornering hard. Bring a helmet (see the rules for requirements). If you don't have a qualified one, be prepared to rent one at the event. Bring a small cooler with drinks and snacks. You won't really have time to leave for lunch, but we do typically have a "roach coach" come through. And don't forget the sunscreen!

Typical Autocross Schedule
TIME EVENT

6:30 AM Tech Inspection opens
6:45 AM Registration opens, $60 per driver ($40 if pre-registered)
7:25 AM Track walk with Chief Driving Instructor
7:30 AM $10 Registration late fee if not in Tech Inspection line
8:00 AM No admittance if not in Tech Inspection line
8:30 AM Mandatory Drivers meeting
9:00 AM Practice sessions begin
NOON Lunch available, usually while practice sessions in progress
2:00 PM Timed Runs begin
5:00 PM Timed runs are finished. Track closed. Pick-up track and pit area
5:45 PM Awards

The tech inspection is easy enough, car needs to be in good condition, ie, brakes, tires, battery, seat belts, helmet.

To get all the rules, go to www.pcasdr.org, all the rules are posted for autocross, Drivers Ed, and Time Trial. Some rules are specific for different events, more safety equip for DE and Time Trial. Arm restraints are NOT required for Autocross.

Hope this helps, Later, Don
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.