Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: EBC brake pads
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
blabla914
Is anyone here using EBS green or yellow compound brake pads? The prices seem attractive. About $60 per axle for greens and 80 per axle for yellows. Yellows are supposedly a true track pad that has cold stopping power good enough for street and AX use. Seems too good to be true.
I believe Howard R. in AUS is using greens. Howard, if you could spare a few minutes I'd be interested to know how you use your car and what your experience is with the EBC's.
I have been using EBC pads for downhill mountain biking for years and really like them so I'm interested in using them on the car.
I know a lot of folks here are fans of the Porterfield R4S. That's my backup. I'm a little concerned about rotor life with the R4S's though. A friend of mine ran two track events with them on a 2.0L 4 cyl car and there seemed to be a lot of rotor wear and grooving. Maybe it's just me.
Thanks for your help.

Kelly
Rough_Rider
Same same, been using EBC's for years on a couple of mountain bikes. Never had any issues, after they we're bedded in correctly.

Will be sticking a set in for duty on fronts this year. EBC's site lists green pad as a street performance with near full bite from cold. So IMO perfect for AX work.

Currently the fast road pads i have take 2-3 laps to warm up. So on a AX there next to useless. IMO teeners are so ligt that a good street pad should do fine for AX, street & track duty. Hell even if i'm wrong it takes about 20 mins to swap out pads, so what the heck.
Downunderman
Kelly,

You can't go far wrong with the greens. They work from cold and hold up to about 600 deg c. They don't give off much dust and don't chew rotors. Although if you do a track day you will use them faster than a red or yellow. I suppose its a case of whether you prefer to use up the pads or the rotors.

I use them for competition in classic rally/Targa type events. Probably what you would call a time trial. The stages vary from 7 or 8 km to 20 km. Uphill and downhill on closed public roads. You don't give the brakes quite the hammering that you would on a circuit because you are on and off them more lightly rather than burying your foot into them at the 50 m marker. Even so on a town stage where you do a lot of 90 deg left right in quick succession they get hot emough to blue the discs.

I think they would be great for AX.
blabla914
Hey guys thanks for the replies. I agree that a 914 is so light unless you are running a full on race car you should be able to get away less than a full race pad.
In addition to mountain bikes, EBC's are real popular with the motorcycle crowd in the US. My wife has an MGB and we used to get MGWorld before it went out of print. Seems EBC's are very popular in Europe for track days as well. I guess they are just getting started in the US.
Howard, glad to hear from you. Those targa style events sound like a lot of fun. I'm assuming the picture in your avatar is from one of those events. I wish we could run some of those around here closer than Newfoundland. Sounds like a familiar story, change pads or change rotors. Since I prefer to change pads I think I'll go with the greens and see how they do.
Thanks for the input.

Kelly
brant
This is not a 914 experience, and the biggest difference is probably the weight at 2500lbs.

but I used a set of EBC greens on the front of a ford focus hatchback. I put it on the racetrack about 3 days worth of school. I also, used it primarily on the street as my commuter car.

When I switched over the the port. rs4 I subjectively felt like the brakes were better. It also squeeked more cold, but I can live with that.

If it makes any difference I put new rotors on it with the EBC's, but not the ports. Still like the ports better, but yes its a little bit heavier car with a front weight bias.

brant
cnavarro
I can attest to the green pads. I got a set for my parent's land rover disco and it was light night and day with a new set of slotted/cross drilled cryo'ed rotors. Now the abs kicks in all the time (or at least the T/C light)! That and a set of Bilsteins and it was like I was driving a Porsche driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.