Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel line replacement - UPDATE
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914zim
Guys:
Tonight I ran the 5/16" steel lines (from Summit) through the tranny tunnel. They went in pretty easy, but getting them throught the front grommet was a bitch.
So, now I have about 2 feet of steel line coming out of the rear firewall. How do it get to the engine compartment?
I don't think I can/should try to bend the steel lines up into the engine compartment, although I'd like too, I think I'd kink the lines. This stuff is flexible, but not THAT flexible. What have you guys that used steel lines done?
I've heard mention of using flexible line to make the right turn and up through to the engine compartment. What kind should I use? Where can get it? I thought about re-using a section of the plastic line that I took out of the tunnel, but how would I connect it to the steel line, since they're both the same size? A small connecting 8mm hose with a clamp at each end? I'd be concerned about putting a clamp on the plastic line, but maybe it'd be OK.
Any thoughts/ideas are appreciated!!
Thanks,
Andy...
Rusty
Use a tube bender. Bend them 90 degrees, cut off the excess. Then, high pressure FI rubber line from there.

-Rusty smoke.gif
ChrisFoley
A tubing bender should allow you to bend the line without kinking it, in order to follow the original path of the plastic lines more or less.
The kind of bender that is a spring that slides over the tube might work well. Just try it on a test piece first.
You will need to pull the tube back into the engine bay a few inches to get the bend where you need it.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(914zim @ Aug 28 2003, 06:56 PM)
I ran the 5/16" steel lines (from Summit) through the tranny tunnel. ... How do it get to the engine compartment?

I don't think I can/should try to bend the steel lines up into the engine compartment, although I'd like too, I think I'd kink the lines. This stuff is flexible, but not THAT flexible. What have you guys that used steel lines done?

...I thought about re-using a section of the plastic line that I took out of the tunnel, but how would I connect it to the steel line, since they're both the same size?...

what kind of steel line ?

if it's mild-steel brake/clutch line it is designed to withstand gentle bending - get a tubing bender from your FLAPS - it will come with several sized mandrels for tubing and will automatically give you the tightest safe bend radius. if it's something else, i donno.

steel lines typically join to plastic with some kind of compression fitting. check the plumbing section of your local home store but i doubt anything you find there will claim to be suitable for 40 psi gasoline...

you can braze on some kind of fitting and use standard race-car AN braided steel hose and ends.

if you're going to use any kind of clamp, i'd see about getting a tubing beader so the hose doesn't blow off the end.

i thought Rusty's instructions were pretty easy to follow, but since you've decided to go a different direction you may get to engineer some of these solutions yourself. just remember you're dealing with pressurised gasoline in a hot enevronment and a little leak can make a big fire in a hurry.
914zim
Thanks guys,
So, the rubber line going from the steel line (just outside the firewall) over past the HEs and thru the grommets to the rails is OK?
Will the 8mm rubber line fit thru the grommets?
My engine is still in the car, so there's not a lot of room to work with the bender.
Thanks,
Andy...
Rusty
Everything you've done up to now is really a trial fit.

Mark where the lines exit the firewall, then pull them out to do the 90 degree bend & cut, if you have to remove them.

I don't know the OD of the tubing you're using. If you saved your old fuel lines, you have lots of material to use to "step" the rubber line down in size, if you need to.

-Rusty smoke.gif
ChrisFoley
When I make fuel lines from stainless tube I bend them 90 at the firewall and run it along the bottom of the firewall to where the fuel pump goes. Then I make another section to go up through the engine shelf and join them with a short piece of rubber fuel line.
I have a set of old plastic lines that I copy the shape of before fitting them into the car.
tod914
I also did them in 2 sections. Works fine. The tunnel lines are 5' in length. where they exit, i attached the hp fuel line. Then i took two 1 1/2 foot sections of metal line, and contoured them to come up into the engine bay. Seems like it was the easiest way to do it at the time. Good luck!!
914zim
Thanks alot guys for the advice!
I hope to get something done on it this weekend.
Andy..
Katmanken
Andy,

I ran into the same problem. The guy at the hydraulic truck line store (sold me my SS lines) came up with a nifty right angled connector that bolts on the end of the tubing. That way, the fuel lines are against the firewall and out of the way WHEN (not if) you have to drop your engine. wink.gif

Ken
914werke
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.