Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Weekend trip got screwed.....................
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
East coaster
I was supposed to be Jetskiing in Daytona right now, but stupid a** Spirit Airlines cancelled my flight and left me stranded at home instead. I felt bad about takin' off for the weekend with soooooo much to do to my car anyway, so I made the best out of being stuck and went and bought some tubing and made my rotisserie.

Took the good part of a day to build and damn I wish I had done it a lot earlier. It makes working on the car so nice!

Here's a pic...........
East coaster
nuther......
East coaster
One mo......

East coaster
And then took advantage of the newly available angles to repair the drivers long and replace the jackpost. It took about 1/4 the amount of time it took when I did the passenger side because the access is so much better with the rotisserie.

TravisNeff
Looks great, and a good looking tub too!
Lou W
Nice job on the rotisserie, I sure wished I had one when I did my car. Jackpost look great. welder.gif
r_towle
I have always wanted to know..

How did you get it up high enough to put it on the rottisiere?

Ihave truck jack stands, they are still not high enough..

Rich
East coaster
Rich, I wondered that too! I had to use my floor jack, jack stands, concrete blocks, 2 x 4s and alternate from one side to another and keep adding blocks until it was high enough. It was getting pretty hairy when it finally lined up with the rack. I guess I'll have to play the same game to get it back off the rack.
r_towle
Thats what I figured, I was hoping for a simple solution...

Rich
736conver
Nice rotisserie. Doesnt it make things so simple. Keeps you off your floor especially if its cold.

When I had my rotisserie I used my engine hoist(cherry picker) to attach the car to it. Worked pretty slick. I wonder if my rotisserie is still in use. I gave it to a fellow member.
East coaster
Oh yeah, before shot of the jackpost area........yuck!

dion9146
QUOTE (r_towle @ Jan 15 2006, 08:09 PM)

Rich

A long 4x4 and a few good friends with strong backs. wink.gif Oh, yeh, and a few beers for payment.

D
sk8kat1
any chance of posting the plans and maybe a materials list ? biggrin.gif
736conver
AA has online rotisserie plans for free.

http://www.autoatlanta.com/tech/rotisserie_build.html
michel richard

Rich

In my case, I attached a strong anchor point to the ceiling and used a small chain hoist that I have. The completely bare tub is really not heavy.

michel richard

Rich

In my case, I attached a strong anchor point to the ceiling and used a small chain hoist that I have. The completely bare tub is really not heavy.

East coaster
Don't know if I can scan the convenience store napkin that I drew the plans on in the parking lot of the metal supply yard! wink.gif

It was really pretty easy. I just measured the length/width of the car and winged it. I will probably make this available to club members in the NJ/PA/DE area when I'm done. I'd rather see it used than stored.
sk8kat1
something FREE from AA I have got to check this out
bondo
Hmm, I think I need to build one of those. But then what would I do with all the jackstands? biggrin.gif

bondo
How's the balance at those pivot points? Does it prefer to be right side up or upside down? Does it just bolt to the bumper mounts? How thick is the tubing? Anything you'd change if you were to do it again? (I'd like to know before I copy your design wink.gif )
East coaster
It's mounted to the bumper mount points and seems to be very well balanced. I can rotate it with one hand and it seems to stop anywhere I put it, although I haven't turned it completely upsidedown yet.

I used 1/8 wall 2" square tubing (radius edge) for the basic frame and 2 1/4" inside 2 3/8 round tube for the pivots. The log tube connecting the two ends is 2 1/2", 3/16 wall raidus corner tubing. The square tube is basically the same stuff used for 2" receiver hitch stock, so they slide neatly into each other. Plus when I hack this up someday it'll make great stock for other projects!

So far, I don't see anything I would change except next time I'll do this at the begining of the damn project!
hars914
JD, Can I rent it from you when your finished. You probably figured I would reply
once I saw it.Let me know.
sk8kat1
on the front I see the flat iron mounting plates -- but none on the rear -- how did you attach the rear

bootyshake.gif
jasons
How much do you think you spent on the steel?
East coaster
Harry, It's all your when I'm done! Rent, hmmm....... beer.gif

Jason, It cost me $180 with wheels (4 full swivel, 2 swivel with lock feature).
carambola
don't have a teener YET, so i can't take you up on the open offer of using the rotisserie- BUT i do have a strong back and can help you lower it down. name the WAWA and i'm there, you buy the coffee.
jasons
I had to revive this thread, because this thing has been on my mind a little bit. I was going to weld a cart to put my chassis on, but I am considering a rotisserie after seeing yours. I have some questions....

It seems like you should weld a temporary brace across the door jambs. Is their no concern about the body folding a little in the center? Or does that depend on the state of your longs? If you intend to reinforce the longs, should you do it on the rotisserie or off? It seems like you would want the chassis loaded as it would be on the ground when you add any reinforcing.
East coaster
Longs already re-enforced before rotisserie. This should be done with the car supported at the front and rear of the floor pans. I would not recommend doing the long job with the car in the rotisserie.

jasons
Ok that makes sense, so what about the doors? No braces is OK?
East coaster
I've never seen braces used on a car while in the rotisserie, but time will tell. I did measure my car before and after doing the long re-enforcement and after mounting it in the rotisserie and it's smack dead on the factory specs (windshield to targa).
sk8kat1
I saw those braces on here before , right wasn't someone selling the kits to be welded in?
sk8kat1
I emailed AA ... icon8.gif --about the rotiss plans they have online and the door bracing the response from AA:

no Mike. Not unless the car is rusted in half!!!!

george hussey
jasons
QUOTE (sk8kat1 @ Jan 18 2006, 02:34 PM)
I emailed AA ... icon8.gif --about the rotiss plans they have online and the door bracing the response from AA:

no Mike. Not unless the car is rusted in half!!!!

george hussey

Cool.... Thanks for the update
nola914
There is a site out on the net from a guy by the name of Armando that is restoring a 914-6. He fabricated a brace that runs from the top door hinge mount to the bolt securing the seat belt on the sail. It's a simple bolt on, and I think I would be more comfortable with that in place unless the longs and lower firewalls have been completed re-built.

About the rotissiere...I would like to see a pic of the rear mount if possible. Curious how you dealt with the tow hook mount.
messix
i like the idea of these, how ever i think i could use it with my car still fully assembled, pull it in the garage hook up the rot. spin it on its side and wheel it over to the side of the garage. hell i could even have room another one idea.gif maybe that one on c/l for $850
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.