Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Home Security (alarm) Systems
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Part Pricer
My head is about to explode.

We are moving next month to an area that is much more densely populated than our current location. As well as the shotgun next to my chair, I’m thinking about getting a home security system. Is there anyone here in that business? Or, would anyone care to share their experiences and opinions? I’ve never had an alarm system, so I don’t know what to look for.

I’m guessing that I need:

* Door Sensors
* Window Sensors
* Motion Detectors

But, do I need things like:

* Photoelectric Beams ?
* Glass-Break Detectors ?

The next question is regarding hard-wired or wireless. I’m assuming that hard-wired is better, but would be more expensive to install. Any downsides to either?

Also, should I go monitored or un-monitored? There seems to be a lot of people on both sides of this issue.

Thanks
TROJANMAN
There is alot of fancy stuff out there these days.
do you want your alarm to rival fort knox?

my system is 30 years old and VERY basic. i only have sensors on a few of the windows and all of the doors. the logic was that once some came in threw a window, they could only leave through a door, thus setting off the alarm.
i am very friendly with all of my neighbors, and none of them would ignore our alarm going off, so that is why it is not pre-wired to the police. but, my parents do have theirs wired to the police b/c most neigbors would ignore their alarm going off.

i have since upgraded though and added this feature biggrin.gif

No sudden movements........
opera guy

i'll assume your house is built already...

i used to install alarm systems for residential and commercial buildings. if your house is already BUILT, i'd opt for motion sensors in every non-bedroom (living room, study, dining room, garage, attic, kitchen, hallways... etc). for bedrooms, just contact switches on windows would do, but if you keep valuables like cash and gold in your bedroom, then opt for the motion detectors (i usually recommend ppl put their valuables in a safe, and have the safe in a room that has motion detectors.

i never really had luck with glass break detectors, never really had any clients asking for it once we install motion sensors.

i never installed wireless systems when i was doing installations. im sure they have improved them, i'd still like to know what freuency they function. if you're gonna be staying in your new home for long period, i'd go with wired system, and make sure your installer know how to hide the wires well.

there's no such thing as a perfect alarm/security system.

regarding monitoring... the cost PER ACCOUNT for me, is about $8 to $10 a month. thats what i pay the the monitoring company, each account is charged 25-30 dollars a month. keep that in mind. i think they charge a lot more to the end user more now for monitoring. have it installed first, see if you can make some friends in the neighborhood, preferably the ones who are home during the time you're not. if they hear alarm, they can call cops for ya. when i install a system, i charge for the system (around 800 bucks and up) and it's the client's system, it belong to them. they have the option of monitoring or not. i think a lot of alarm co. dont do this anymore, but i dont know.

lemme know if you need to know more.
MoveQik
Talk to John(FlatVW) That is his specialty.

For what it is worth, we have windows, door and glass break sensors. Motion sensors, smoke & fire and the system is monitored.

Ferchrisakes...sounds like I live in Compton, not Scottsdale. wacko.gif
MoveQik
QUOTE (TROJANMAN @ Jan 16 2006, 11:27 AM)
i have since upgraded though and added this feature biggrin.gif

Reminds of the episode of Cheers with the German Shepard. Don't say Cochise!!!
Mueller
We have a hard wired system for our house, no glass breaking sensors (birds flying into the windows have set off the alarm), but we do have the motion sensors for away from the home use and while in the house* (I'll sometimes forget to turn off the alarm and open up the front door to get the newspaper...the neighbors must "love" the bells/sirens going off at 7am on the weekend...doh !!!! )

**now that we have kids, I love this feature...less chances of them trying to sneak out of the house like I did as a teenager

One good thing about the alarm is one less door-to-door salesperson* bothering us since it's pretty obvious to see the bell and stickers on the windows

**we did get one kid that had the nerve to ask if it was okay to stick a sign in our front yard for a competing company screwy.gif

still thinking about cameras...my mother-in-law has them and they've paid for themselves already...we live in a decent area, it's the lowlifes from other cities and the dumba$$ teenagers that screwup things

Flat VW
QUOTE (TROJANMAN @ Jan 16 2006, 12:27 PM)

I have since upgraded though and added this feature  :D

I always guarantee that the alarm system will not pee on the rug!

John w00t.gif
Flat VW
PM sent, Paul

John wavey.gif
TROJANMAN
QUOTE (MW 914 @ Jan 16 2006, 12:09 PM)
QUOTE (TROJANMAN @ Jan 16 2006, 11:27 AM)
i have since upgraded though and added this feature  :D

Reminds of the episode of Cheers with the German Shepard. Don't say Cochise!!!

my brother used to not believe me about the "no sudden movements" warning. that was until.............. laugh.gif
tat2dphreak
a rottweiler and a smith and wesson... ar15.gif
computers4kids
The security system that I installed also monitors four cameras that view the outside of my house 24/7. The monitoring is done by a dedicated computer that I have setup, which records motion at night and certain times of the day that I chose. I can even call up my house on the Internet when I'm away. The biggest drawback from my system is at night. Even though the cameras are infrared, the quality is so so. It did however pickup a great picture of a car stopping and swiping my neighbors lighted raindeer one night. The system is probably more of a deterent than anything else. If I did it again I would go with one of those special VCRs that can caputure a 1000 hours of "motion detected" video. It would have been less hastles to setup.
reverie
If you have a monitored system (or even a non-monitored system), a sign placed in the front yard, near the house and always next to the driveway, will dissuade most burglars from considering your house. A 12x12 metal sign that says "this house protected by xyz alarm systems" gets their attention, and gives you a little more peace of mind.

Sometimes I wish our house would get burgled.. my wife has so much crap.. wink.gif
Flat VW
I must say, that, generally speaking, video is silly.

THE EVENT ALREADY HAPPENED!

I have "corporate (read here suits) clients" that love it as it allows them to "place blame". screwy.gif

John

P.S. It seems that it is a crucial part of "corporate life", that is, it very important to be able to properly "place the blame".

Sheesh, what a waste of energy. icon8.gif av-943.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.