Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need fuel injector info
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
terrymason
I'm looking at a 72 1.7 914, and was hoping to get some info from you guys. The owner said that it had a leaky fuel injector. The car starts and drives, but smells like gas, and is really lacking in power.

Looking in the engine, the driver side has two knobby things (I'm guessing they're the injectors), and there's a puddle of gas under them.

Any idea what it would cost to replace these injectors? I'm pretty good with a wrench, but would it take any special equipment?
chas
Easy with hand tools,injectors 20.00 to 100.00 on ebay.Get a book.
terrymason
awesome. Can you recommend a good book?
DNHunt
Get a Haynes Manual, it's pretty good and fairly cheap. Shop around or you can get it online at pelican Parts

Before you replace the injector check the fuel lines to them. They get old and cracked. FI hose is kind of expensive but cheaper than injectors.

Dave
Dr Evil
And make sure you use fuel hose clamps, not the usual ones that cut into the line when tightened. I would bet your hoses are cracked, though.
terrymason
Dave, thank you soo much for mentioning that. I was going to replace the hoses anyway, but it never crossed my mind that they would be "fuel injection" hoses, as opposed to fuel lines. FI is under like 100 psi pressure right?
bd1308
~40 PSI or below that.

DNHunt
I know 2.0l D-jet runs 29.5 PSI. I assume the 1.7 is the same.

Use good hose and good clamps. 914's burn really well with some magnesium parts. Don't mess with fuel system compromises.

Dave
dmenche914
Some advice on an old car, get a maintain a fire extingusher in your car.

in the leaking injectors, they can leak in several ways externally. The hoses can leak, and leaks can develop between the plastic body and metal parts of the injector. The first case is repairable, the second case i have no known cure, so replace.

On original injectors, the two inch or so hose is factory crimped to the injector, making replacement seem impossible. However with a pair of tin snips, and hacksaw you can carefully remove the factory metal crimped hose clamp, and then replace the hose, using a screw on hose clamp (as stated by other poster, use an FI rated smooth hose clamp, not the ones with the teeth cut into the band) be careful when working on the injectors, the plastic body is not the toughest thing, and can crack/leak if bumped a bunch.

ideally you should obtain the correct L-shaped hoses for the ends of the injectors, however you will need to find them from a Porsche or VW place. otherwise I have been able to run regular straight hose, just bend it, it may look like it is restricting fuel flow, but it is not and will work fine.

System pressure is just under 30 psi.

Also replace any suspect looking fuel lines you see in the engine bay, be sure all existing hoses in the fuel system engine bay are FI rated, if the hose is not marked as such, be suspect, a prior owner might have used the wrong stuff, and it can fail suddenly.

Also there are some hoses near the fuel filter and under the gas tank (access from under car) inspect and replace if suspect.

the ones in the engine bay are most important, cause of all the heat there, and potential for fire, but then again, any gas leak is bad, make sure the thing is leak tight before parking inside. Don't want to burn the garage down.

the haynes manual is a good source of info, there are some other books, but they are a bit harder to find (out of print???)

There is plenty of info here so ask.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.