Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I need a good adhesive or a good suggestion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MoveQik
I finally got some chrome trim back around my windshield. However, the top three clips aren't holding the trim in place very well. Nothing is cracked or broken, they just don't hold. I have tried slightly tweaking the trim and it helped a little but it will still pop off after a few days.

Is there a good adhesive that I can use that will keep things in place? Sort of a JB weld type goop that might work?
TravisNeff
I suppose you could epoxy them in place, but if you need to R&R it later you may need new trim. The little plastic clips should hold it in, maybe yours have given up. I am unsure if you can replace those clips with the winsheild still in the car though.
IronHillRestorations
Probably the only way to fix it correctly is remove the windshield and replace the plastic clips that secure the trim. If you glue the trim in, you'll ruin it whenever you've got to take it off, and it's spendy$$$$.
jasons
QUOTE (9146986 @ Jan 17 2006, 07:51 AM)
Probably the only way to fix it correctly is remove the windshield and replace the plastic clips that secure the trim. If you glue the trim in, you'll ruin it whenever you've got to take it off, and it's spendy$$$$.

It probably would ruin your trim when you go to remove it.... But I've used 3M weatherstrip adhesive on my old BMW to hold the windshield trim on. Available at any FLAPS. I got the black stuff in an orange tube. When I finally did replace the windshield on the car, I had to break the trim to get it off.

Did you decide not to use the rubber gasket?
r_towle
I had this problem.

I humbly suggest that you are not putting the trim on correctly.

It seems to snap in place, but it is not engaging the clip the right way.

Look at the trim, if you push it straight down, there is no way for the clip to get into the trim.

Try this first, make a tool out of very thin metal that can grab the edge of the clip while the trim is laying in place...kinda like a flat hook. A flat piece that you have ground a hook into one side..not sharp, just a hook that you can grab the plastic piece with.

then, as you are working the trim in place from the corner, pull out each clip by its edge and make sure it gets INSIDE the trim.

I heated the trim clips up with a heat gun first to make them a bit more flexable.

It does hold, even on old clips,,,its just a matter of being really patient. It took me several days to get one piece on the top to stay, I just walked away when i got frustrated and went back later on when I was more patient.

Gentle and patient will get it to go in correctly.

Rich
aircooledboy
Actually, the trim should push straight down into the clip. The clips are beveled at the top, and straight down pressure should push them back without additional force of pulling the clip back with a tool.

Often, one of two things happens. Sometimes the pins that hold the clips in place can work out just far enough that they don't have enough leverage to hold the trim. It could also be that when the windshield was installed, it was off center just enough that it is now too close to the clips in a particular spot. That prevents the clip from moving out away from the body when you push the trim down onto it, and the trim can't get past the barb on the clip.

The 100% correct way to repair either of those problems is to pull the glass and fix the problem. The much smarter approach IMHO is simply to tack the trim down with some autoglass grade urethane. A couple dabs under the trim in the problem spot, NOT on the clips, will hold the trim down, but not present any huge problem if you need to remove the trim later. Put some duct tape on the spot to hold it down for about 6 hours or so, and your problem will be solved. If you need to remove the trim later, you can cut the spots loose by sliding a razor blade under the trim. If you glue it to the clips, you have made disposable if you need to remove it, because you have no way to cut the urethane without bending the trim. (I used this method successfully no less than 200 times in my past life as an autoglass installer)

beerchug.gif
rhodyguy
i was under the impression the clips were best considered a one time use item.

k
MoveQik
Thanks for all the tips. I agree that the absolute best way to fix it is to remove the windshield and start over. However, I am trying to avoid that. It adds additional costs and I run the risk of cracking the windshield when they remove it. That being said, I like Chris' approach and I'll give that a shot. It is only three clips and it really won't take much to hold it all together.
drgchapman
I scrounged this up from a previous thread. Good picture of windshield trim removal tool. Also a couple of drawings of how to use it. I hope this helps.

Gary
drgchapman
qqqq
drgchapman
qqqq
aircooledboy
AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! My horrible drawing still lives. laugh.gif lol2.gif w00t.gif chairfall.gif

Good thing I make my living doing anything besides drawing. sheeplove.gif

If you are going to glue it down, a couple other little things will help make it work AND look good. First, make sure you clean the glass and the underside of the trim in the area to be glued down. Use a good glass cleaner, spray the hell out of the area under the trim. Then take a couple paper towels folded 4-6 layers thick so you have a nice pad, slide between the glass and the trim, then carefully push down on the trim and slide the towel back and forth several times cleaning the glass and the back of the trim. When you apply the urethane, put enough of a dab so that it squeezes out a little when you push the trim into place. Then, clean off the excess with enamel reducer (which is the only solvent I am aware of that effectively cleans urethane), and tape down to the glass for atleast 6 hours. I wouldn't put tape onto the body unless you can't get it secured well by taping to the glass only. You'd hate to find out you have paint adhesion issues the hard way. At the same time though, you want to be sure to hold it into place until the urethane dries. Lastly, if you can't get ahold of any reducer (most FLAPS have it in 1 qt cans), you can use less urethane so it just barely squeezes out, and trim that off with a razor blade after it dries, but the final appreance can be unpredictable.
Flat VW
DAPO move- Liquid Nails or Goop

John unsure.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.