Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oh geeeze another flare ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Brotherbob
I am looking to buy a set of flares for my 914. I found a guy on ebay that sells the fiberglass flares for around 200 a set of four? I also looked at the bird board and they sell them for 100+ each for glass? I guess you get what you pay for?

paint related ?
With a mix of fiberglass and bare metal steel , my guess is you use a flex primer ,flex base coat and clear?
I plan on painting the car back to Saturn yellow as it was from the factory. Does anyone have any ideas on what type of primer, paint or clear to use?
I am on a budget and thank you for your help. type.gif
Is POR 15 a flexible primer? I really like it for its rust incapsulation properties.
Mueller
QUOTE (Brotherbob @ Jan 17 2006, 01:25 PM)
I am looking to buy a set of flares for my 914. I found a guy on ebay that sells the fiberglass flares for around 200 a set of four? I also looked at the bird board and they sell them for 100+ each for glass? I guess you get what you pay for?

that's a pretty silly statement screwy.gif

those eBay flares are nice parts, but if you insist on spending more money 'cause it makes you feel like you are getting a better part, knock yourself out biggrin.gif laugh.gif

jd74914
You can prime glass with POR15, it only sticks to metal. It runs and/or peels off of paint and plastic and other non metal things. To prime over it you would need to scuff it well. If you aren't trying to encapsilate rust (ie: you are working with clean metal) normal primer and paint works fine for keeping it rust free.
Kerrys914
You didn't ask BUT I will still add my $.02

Save $$$$ for STEEL flares. I installed FG flares on my car a few years back. They look fine but were a BIG PITA headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif sawzall-smiley.gif to install. Tons of work fitting them and then smoothing the flares into the body. Way too much work.

Everytime I hit a bump driving my car I get worried THAT was the bump that will start the cracks. Not fun ohmy.gif

The next car of mine will have steel flares.

To answer you question get the lower $$ ones because you will need to spend time fitting either set.
The only ones I hear/read that are crap are the "chopper" gun ones. I have no idea which is which...it's just something I heard/read

Cheers beer.gif

Mueller
QUOTE (Brotherbob @ Jan 17 2006, 01:25 PM)
paint related ?
With a mix of fiberglass and bare metal steel , my guess is you use a flex primer ,flex base coat and clear?
I plan on painting the car back to Saturn yellow as it was from the factory. Does anyone have any ideas on what type of primer, paint or clear to use?
I am on a budget and thank you for your help. type.gif
Is POR 15 a flexible primer? I really like it for its rust incapsulation properties.

do a search for 'glass flare install.......there are a few pretty good write ups by Dan Root and Paul (ury914)

i'd stay away from the Por-15 for that type of install, go with known products that are designed for the job and work together with no questions asked.....a fellow club member is installing those flares right now on his car, hopefully he'll chime in (I bought those eBay flares and re-sold them when the project changed direction)
Brotherbob
Ok so the ebay flares are good to go!Mueller said so and I'm cheap.
On the POR 15 deal , yes the car would be down to bear metal but it is a 914 and suffers from rustosis. I figured POR would stop the rust bugs from coming back.
I have used POR on F/glass with no problems but I didnt know if it was to be used for that purpose?
Where's that good lookin gal from the calender who is the paint guru? I wonder what paint products she would say to use?
msglaigaie
The guy on Ebay has a mold and puts a set on every week or two or so to up his income. His ad pic is a set of four in grey prime leanining against a tin wall. They usually start at US$160/US$180 and you can get them for about 200. If it goes over that wait till next week. I picked a set up for I think 170 about two years ago. I am only going to use the front pair and I plan on bonding them to fiberglass fenders not steel. MSG L
STL914
QUOTE (Brotherbob @ Jan 17 2006, 01:13 PM)

Where's that good lookin gal from the calender who is the paint guru? I wonder what paint products she would say to use?

That would be Shelby, aka Flatout. Do a search using her screen name and then PM her.

Oh, she's painting my car this spring and will be adding F/G flares for me, but not in that order. When she's finished, my car should look like my avatar. biggrin.gif
Brotherbob
icon_bump.gif for Shelby to find this....
flatout
I 've used POR 15 on very bad rust,scuffed it and then epoxy primered over it.I would rather replace the rust though with new metal.I use epoxy primer over bare metal as a base to start everthing else after that.You can put your body putty over that after scuffing it and then put another coat of the epoxy over the body work.That seems to do the best to keep the body work from shrinking.A good primer surfacer after that,a sealer,then your paint.I use PPG paint,basecoat- clearcoat,but I know that some painters use PPG's 'generic' brand of paint with no complaints.There are a lot more inexpensive paints,you just have to take a chance on whether the final product is what you're looking for.As far as the flexible paint,there is a flexing additive you can add to all of you products,but with the basecoat,you really don't need it.And unless your parts are flexing all of the time,or you are going to be flexing them putting them on,you could probably get away with not adding any additive.

Thanks for wondering what my opinion would be.So many painters have their own ideas and preferences.I just hope I helped a little. biggrin.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (Brotherbob @ Jan 17 2006, 02:25 PM)
I am looking to buy a set of flares for my 914.

I have a full set of them. The rears were put on my car with screws, the fronts were never installed. I also have full front fenders that have been flared. If you are interested, you can come see them in Hurst when I am home between trips.

Brotherbob
Its all about the Karma mannnnn!
PM sent thanks to this board for being my only needed technical manual.
this place rocks. smilie_pokal.gif dance.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.