Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: GT3 vs Carrera S
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
I was coming up I-5 from Long Beach today and followed the antics of a yellow GT3 and a Burgundy Carrera S. The Carrera seemed to always get away from the GT3 but I would think the GT would be better at what it does.

Driver ya think?
DanT
Driver, interest in the game, or not wanting to get a ticket? ohmy.gif

GT3 definitely has the upper hand in HP and handling.

GT3 385HP and ability to adjust up to -4degrees of camber in the stock front suspension.

CarreraS depending on year about 320-355HP and the ability to get a whopping -.8degrees of camber in the front.

All of this not to mention adjustable sways on the GT3, stiffer struts and shocks, and larger wheel tire combo. wink.gif
Allan
I don't know the specs on the cars but it seemed liked that at every chance the Carrera gt was flat out gone.

The GT3 had all of the same opportunities that the Carrera had and didn't seem reluctant to use them.
MattR
Wait, are you talking about a Carrera S? Or a Carrera GT? They're slightly different cars wink.gif

I'd take the GT3 in just about any "which car would win" scenario. I just love those things... I drove my bosses, and i'm hooked.
Allan
I'm talking about a straight on GT3 vs Carrera S.

The S always seemed to run away for some reason.

I'm thinking radical mods on the Carrera or the GT3 driver was Aaron?
MattR
QUOTE (Headrage @ Jan 17 2006, 07:10 PM)
I don't know the specs on the cars but it seemed liked that at every chance the Carrera gt was flat out gone.

Okay, this post kinda confused me.

Yeah, the GT3 is a modified Carrera S (well, carrera 4s...). The S could have had some crazy modifications, had a better driver (probably the case), or maybe the GT3 wasnt playing?
DanT
GT3 is a 3.8L normally aspirated motor (direct decendant of the GT1 motor)and the chassis is 2 wheel (rear) drive
Carrera S is a 3.6L normally aspirated motor and depending could have been either a all wheel drive (4S) or rear wheel drive (2S).
A GT3 is not what I would consider a modified Carrera S. Different motor and gearing along with different suspension components.
Also depends on what year Carrera S you are talking about. The 996 version had, IIRC,
about 330-340 HP. The 997 version of the Carrera S is 3.8L and 355HP.
Are you sure it was a Carrera S and not a Turbo or a GT2?
What did the rear wing look like on the Carrera S?
If it was bone stock you should be able to discerne which it was.
MattR
QUOTE (Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Jan 17 2006, 09:26 PM)
A GT3 is not what I would consider a modified Carrera S. Different motor and gearing along with different suspension components.

A GT3 is a 996 body Porsche. Its faster then a Carrera S and looks pretty much the same. Then again, I consider a GT3 Cup Car a modified Carrera 4. Same chassis, different bolt on stuff (engine, suspension, interior, body bits).
DanT
A GT2Cup car is 2 wheel drive not 4.
The only all wheel drive are Carrera 4, Carrera 4S, Turbo and TurboS

Carrera, Carrera2S, GT2 and GT3 and GT3Cup are all rear wheel drive.

And now there is a GT3Cup built on the 997 Chassis

This is all like a 914 being the same as a 914-6. Same chasis....different car.
MattR
QUOTE (Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Jan 17 2006, 10:03 PM)
A GT2Cup car is 2 wheel drive not 4.
The only all wheel drive are Carrera 4, Carrera 4S, Turbo and TurboS

Carrera, Carrera2S, GT2 and GT3 and GT3Cup are all rear wheel drive.

And now there is a GT3Cup built on the 997 Chassis

This is all like a 914 being the same as a 914-6. Same chasis....different car.

Cup cars are built on C4S chassis'. They drop the fuel cell where the front differential goes. Trust me... I've been putting a cup car together all week. Currently we have 5 996 cup cars in the shop and 1 997 cup car.
Allan
QUOTE (Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Jan 17 2006, 09:26 PM)
What did the rear wing look like on the Carrera S?
If it was bone stock you should be able to discerne which it was.

The rear wing on the Carrera was the one that pops out of the deck lid. The GT3 wing was fixed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.