Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [OT] Opinion on size
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
djm914-6
So, I hear size matters to some people. If you were buying or bidding on a canvas or framed piece of automotive art, what size would you look for? Is there something too big or too small for most people's walls?

If subject is important, this would be more fine art than racing poster type subject.

Thanks!
Jeroen
bigger is better, but the wall you're gonna hang it on must be big enuf too, otherwise it'll be too overwelming
seanery
between 24x30 and 30x40 for my tastes, but it depends where it's going.
tat2dphreak
depends on the wall, IMHO, a piece of art should not be bigger than 1/2 for the space of the wall exposed... sometimes less is more... the only large picture in my house is above the couch... it's about 36x48, on a 14 ft wall... sometimes smaller items scattered on a wall looks much better...
ArtechnikA
there are practicalities...

IIRC, 30x40 is the 'standard' matte board size. bigger than that and you're into custom (expensive...) land. it's also a PITA (expensive...) to crate and ship.

i've seen larger works done a diptich and triptich, which is a clever way around those limitations. i've also seen much larger single works, but they are always pricey and rarely behind glass, which can maybe work if you're talking about oils, or maybe acrylic, but gouache, watercolor, and tempera are delicate and kinda UV-sensitive.

(matted and framed to) 30x40 is the biggest i've delivered that wasn't semi-permanent (i did a couple of articulated room-divider screens that were more like furniture than framed wall art...)

i'm still working with 18x24 image areas mostly, because that is the biggest practical and affordable size of the media i use. i can go somewhat bigger, but very much bigger and i simply don't have room for it in the studio...
djm914-6
Thanks all.

I've been eyeing the canvas' at the local craft store and there are SO many sizes. The really big ones (3' x 5') have always caught my eye, but I'm just not sure if they would sell. My first piece will be an artsy image of the 914 as I know the shape and details best. Now where is that 40% off coupon...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.