Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Having Fun w/ an Internet Scammer
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TROJANMAN
I emailed a craig's list add about a, too good to be true, deal on a 993 Turbo. I will post all of the correspondence i have recieved to date. Was curious to see how some of you might reply:

Hello,
This is in reply to your enquiry on my 1996 Porsche 993 Twin Turbo. The car is still avaible for sale (my firm price is $25,900.00 USD).
A few specs:
-POWER WINDOWS
-2+2 SEATS
-TURBO, AIR CONDITIONING
-CRUISE CONTROL
-REAR SPOILER, POWER DOOR LOCKS
-ALL WHEEL DRIVE
-LEATHER, ABS
-DUAL AIR BAGS
-POWER STEERING
-AM/FM RADIO
-6 CYLINDER 3.6 LITER TURBO
The vin # is: wp0ac2995ts376338
You can see the pics of my car using the following link:
http://usera.imagecave.com/rayl_jeff59/199...993-Twin-Turbo/
The car is presently stored at a shipping company in Italy waiting for a buyer (the pics were taken while the car was in the States). I want to use an escrow service and I am willing to pay the shipping and insurance fees.
If you are SERIOUSLY interested reply ASAP as I am overwhelmed with offers (please don't waste my time).
Have a great day and if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.
Jeffrey Rayl
TROJANMAN
I told him i wanted more info, and he replied:

Hello,

First of all, you will have to understand that these are my terms and this is the ONLY way I will do business.

Here is how I want to close this deal, in the best and safest way for the both of us: for shipping we will use World Cargo Express, a local shipping company here. I have used them in the past and I am fully satisfied with their service. I will store the car under your name and address, also the title and all documents I have, and you will receive a tracking number and all the storage details. Once they contact you and you confirm that the car is indeed there, I want a downpayment of 2,900.00 USD transferred to the third party who will intermediate out transaction, which is Square Trade. SquareTrade will insure the funds and hold them until you receive and inspect the car. Once the transfer is made and SquareTrade confirms me that the funds are secured with them, I will instruct the shipping company to proceed with the delivery process. Please don`t feel offended in any way, you must understand that I am only requesting this downpayment secured with SquareTrade so I can feel confident enough about sending you the car. Shipping will take approximately 7 working days, and will be done door-to-door, to your exact location, so you will not have to pick the car up yourself. All shipping fees will be paid by me as agreed. Once you receive the car, I will allow you 72 Hrs for inspecting it. And if you find it unsatisfactory in any way other than described, I agree to have it shipped back on my expense, and SquareTrade will fully refund the payment. The downpayment of 2,900.00 USD will ONLY be realeased to me after you have the vehicle there and you instruct SquareTrade to give me the money. Also, you will have to send me the rest of the payment at that moment. So if you agree with my terms above, I see no reason for which we shouldn`t complete the transaction as soon as possible. Please reply with your full name and address where you want the car shipped, so I can proceed and store it at the shipping company for you. I also need your details so I can forward them to SquareTrade and start the process.

Sincerely yours,
Jeffrey Rayl

TROJANMAN
ME:

first, i would first like to know more about the vehicle before i proceed with any purchase. could you please tell me if you have any service records for the car. has the car been properly maintained by a porsche dealership? can you provide records? does the car have clean title?
Which state emissions did the car pass when it was here? where is the car located in italy?

HIM:
Greg,
The car is in a perfect mechanical and cosmetical condition. It was never raced and it was garage kept most of the time. It was very well mantained as you can see from the pics.
It has a clear title and it was registered in FL.
Thanks
TROJANMAN
ME:
do you have vehicle maintenance records?
when was the last date it passed emmision in the states?
where, in italy, is the car located?

HIM:
Greg,
Unfortunatelly I don't have the maintenance records. Last time it passed the emission tests was in Nov. 2005. It is currently in Milano.
Thanks
TROJANMAN
ME:
the reason i asked about italy, is because i have a cousin that lives in milano. who would he contact to physically inspect the vehicle?
HIM:
Greg,
The car is already at the shipping company as I already told you and I am affraid that seeing the car is not quite possible.
Thanks
ME:
Do you have contact info for the shipping company? My cousin is very exctied about inspecting the vehicle for me. He is a porsche fanatic and is even willing to meet you for a cafe and deliver my deposit to you. Plus, if he gives me the green light, we can skip the escrow company process altogether. please get back to me as soon as possible

I am waiting for his next reply................... unsure.gif
vesnyder
That is one way to keep these guys preoccupied. I did a similar thing with a guy but I was selling my car. I still have his check in my office! Typical scam - wanted me to send him back $$ after he overpaid me for a car? WTH
bondo
Haha, I got a very similar reply from someone selling a 59 impala for a too good to be true price. Advertised as being in CA, and suddenly it's in Italy! smile.gif Needless to say I didn't send any money.
computers4kids
QUOTE (TROJANMAN @ Jan 17 2006, 06:42 PM)
ME:
the reason i asked about italy, is because i have a cousin that lives in milano. who would he contact to physically inspect the vehicle?
HIM:
Greg,
The car is already at the shipping company as I already told you and I am affraid that seeing the car is not quite possible.
Thanks
ME:
Do you have contact info for the shipping company? My cousin is very exctied about inspecting the vehicle for me. He is a porsche fanatic and is even willing to meet you for a cafe and deliver my deposit to you. Plus, if he gives me the green light, we can skip the escrow company process altogether. please get back to me as soon as possible

I am waiting for his next reply................... unsure.gif

I love it! Maybe he will take a two party post dated check. LOL Keep-em-going!
Rand
You've got to read this... one of the more famous pranks on a scammer...

Scammed the scammer
That is the original thread from a forum.

They compiled it into a PDF available here:
http://www.p-p-p-powerbook.com/

TROJANMAN
thanks for the link. i was looking for that. good story. wink.gif
rick 918-S
I just read that whole thing! ohmy.gif That was cool! laugh.gif
rpmmaxxed
Just went through that whole story.

Truly amazing. that is an awesome ending...
Toast
av-943.gif
Thanks for the laugh.

screwy.gif
Yea, I bought into one of those scams. They sent me a fraud check. Cost me 8 hours of time from my job to have meetings with the bank and for filling out forms with the Police, Irs, ect, and they still would not release the hold on my back account. Actually, they made it so that I could not even make a cash deposit or withdrawl cash! WTF.gif Yack.gif
Needless to say I am not longer with that bank. finger.gif

I hope this is not a scam for you.

If he is unwilling to show the car, I would not go for it. unsure.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.