Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tar residue HELP - gumming wire wheels etc.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
snflupigus
The tar is up, but there is a residue left that i cant deal with...

Ok, I've tried:

Aircraft stripper
Heat and scraper,
wire wheels, many types,
3m paint stripper wheel
my fingernail
fire
spit
6" 40 grit sanding discs

Seriously though - there is a thin thin film that i can scrape with my fingernail of glue like residue that wont come up. It keeps getting on my wire wheels then smears as a haze accross the nice bare metal. It SUCKS! I cant find anything that removes it.

And what is your truck to removing the seam sealer too? I want to smooth it all down and reseal it.

Thanks guys. The car is nearly a completely stripped rolling tub and i am trying hard to get it fully prepped so my body guy only has to cutout bad metal, weld in new, and get the interior and engine bay painted.
SirAndy
brake cleaner, a old rag and some elbow grease, works great!
wear a respirator ...

wacko.gif Andy
Gint
agree.gif

Brake cleaner disolves the thi leftover. It just sorta melts away. Lots of paper shop towels.
Jeroen
yep... what Andy and Gint said
Use lots of disposable/paper towels or you'll be smearing the tar right back on parts you just cleaned rolleyes.gif
snflupigus
brake cleaner.... Check.
respirator.... Check.
open garage door.... um. well....uh..

I'm dizzy as shit right now and am having trouble typing... feel like about 6 beers deep - a little silly.

used a whole can of brake cleaner and a load of shop paper towels to get the entire passenger side and half the drivers side floors cleaned up ready to wire wheel down.

weeeeeeee. LOL smile.gif hahaha. this is a messed up feeling for sure. LOL

i'm an idiot. screwy.gif

o... and i bought a air-sander today. WTF there is like a half inch chunk of metal that holds down the sanding disc and my compressor (fair sized sears standup) comes on every 3 seconds! how is this worth a shit? why would anyone use one of these. Every once i've seen is the same too... i just found the cheapest and finally bought it. i think i'll take it back and get the orbital one that uses stick on pads vs this one which is gay.
rick 918-S
Brake cleaner works, but for a safer product I use tar and bug remover. 3M makes it. Wax and grease remover works very well also.
bd1308
undiluted simple green confused24.gif

worked for my transmission clean up, until I caught a metal splinter in my finger.

b
Porcharu
Lacquer thinner or MEK should work well also, and they don't stink (I actually like the smell wacko.gif ) as much as brake cleaner.
r_towle
agree.gif
TravisNeff
a 4" angle grinder with a good wire wheel will make quick work on that seam sealer.
r_towle
my personal favorite is laquer....a good vintage is the 70's
Porcharu
QUOTE (Travis Neff @ Jan 18 2006, 09:28 PM)
a 4" angle grinder with a good wire wheel will make quick work on that seam sealer.

Oh yeah - get a good cup wheel to fit your grinder and go to it (a nice twisted wire rope wheel really does the trick) PLEASE WEAR A PAIR OF HEAVY WELDING GLOVES IF YOU DO THIS -- SKIN IS REMOVED EVEN BETTER THAN SEAM SEALER.
Don't ask me how I know, just believe me that it really hurts and takes a long time to heal. headbang.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.