Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stainless Steel Heat Exchangers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rmital
Looking to get heat exchangers for my '73 1.7, mine are gone.

Will heat exchangers from a '70 1.7 fit my '73 1.7 ?

...does the design or configuration of the heat exchangers vary at all...at least for 1.7's?

DNHunt
I sure think so.

Dave
Bleyseng
of course they will fit! smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif
rmital
...."bang to fit....cut to match"!

I'm definitely trying to avoid the above motto as much as possible.
Bleyseng
just playing with ya.

flat file the mating surface and install with new copper head exhaust gaskets and use copper nuts to install them. They will fit perfectly fine.
rhodyguy
pretty clean he's. just remember to order an exhaust system for early 1.7/1.8, even if you have a 2.0 or better displacement 4. huh.gif

k
DNHunt
Geoff

That's too many hammers isn't it. One smash.gif to help seat the pipes against the copper gaskets as he slowly tightens the nuts on the stud. No sawsall just a big rasp to true the surfaces of the HEs. No welding unless one of the flanges tears. We need an RTV smilie to hold the coppere gaskets up.

Dave
Dave_Darling
All of the 1.7s used the same heat exchangers. The 74 1.8 used those as well. The ones in the picture are the 1.7 style exchangers.

The 2.0 ones (73-74 2.0 only) look very similar, but they do not have the upward bend (the "kick up") near the back of the pipes.

The 75-76 914s (1.8s and 2.0s both) used a third style of exhaust which is very different from the others.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.