Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Big backfire
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Trevorg7
72 1.7 dual Weber 34 icts

Car was warm, in stop and go traffic.

3rd gear, 2100 rpm, 25-30 mph and the car seemed to lose power (no throttle response) for about 2-3 seconds and then boom! A large backfire with billowing black smoke.

Car has begun to buck a little at lower rpms and speeds in the past 1000 miles.

Plugs pulled 500 mph and are fine (gap, etc), solid state ignition.

Thoughts on where to start?

Thanks

T
r_towle
take out the jets and clean them.

Sounds like some crap in the jets...

Lets say your idle jet is plugged, you would get no fuel at idle, and none till you transition to the main jet,,,which would shoot alot of fuel in based on the position of the throttle...

so then pow, you get a backfire...

you need to clean your jets, then changed your fuel filter.

Rich
JWest
QUOTE (Trevorg7 @ Jan 18 2006, 01:16 PM)
Plugs pulled 500 mph

The problem is that 914s are limited to about 0.6 Mach at sea level. You were going about 0.66 Mach (assuming it was a near standard day), and created a local shock at the back of the targa bar which disrupted the airflow into the carbs.

This is yet another reason you should have fuel injection, as it is typically good to 0.89 Mach (678 mph).

happy11.gif
Actually, it sounds to me like you have an ignition issue, as you were still dumping in fuel but not firing it, then lit it all off at once (lots of black smoke) when the ignition came back. Throw some points back in for a test.
joea9146
QUOTE (James Adams @ Jan 18 2006, 03:04 PM)
Actually, it sounds to me like you have an ignition issue, as you were still dumping in fuel but not firing it, then lit it all off at once (lots of black smoke) when the ignition came back.  Throw some points back in for a test.

I Agree I Think u have some type of Ignition problem.
914Jr.
Check timing.
DNHunt
Bet the ricers would approve, nice long flame out the exhaust.
blowup.gif

Dave
lotus_65
that happened to me once, what kind of damage does that cause?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.