Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: list of stuff i need for 1600 mi trip
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lincoln
i know it needs a tune up bad, got all lights cept for back up and rear clearances working - thing is , im not sure she will make a 1600+ mile trip and i really wont have money to take it to a shop and i would HATE to have to just abandon it, money for a car hauler isnt an option, and if i store it here ill never get it later,
rental truck places tell me she is non towable with a dolly due to mid-engine

would selling her to a good home be my only REAL option?
bd1308
no...dude that tow company is stupid.

i personally towed pinky 4 hours in my dad's rover...it CAN be done.

tell them its for a VW beetle and just go with it....

b
r_towle
drive it, bring tools and spare parts...

plan your trip using the member map as your way points.

get the emergency contact list with all the phone numbers of members that will help you along the way.

have fun and enjoy the ride.

Rich
Brian Mifsud
No problem with dolly..just figure out a way to "lock" your steering column (I tied mine with ropes to the front seats nice and tight.

Uhaul wanted about $150 for 480 miles....one way
lincoln
actually my steering wheel locks- not sure if it was originally supposed to or not- but it does it

big thing is the cost- maybe would be better to say goodbye and hope to pick up her better looking, sexier sister later in life?

lincoln
k so i found out heheh you really should add gas sometimes lol- forgot i hadnt gassed er up and ran out after work last night- gascan is a must have on a roadtrip eh?

tools yea i know id need those, what "extra" parts would i likely need to take along?

still trying to find a tow dolly at a reasonable price tho also

after waiting so long to get one i really hate the idea of losing it cuz it breaks down and have to abandon , or to just sell er - no idea how long it would take me to get another
Leo Imperial
I just bought a tow bar for $95. That was cheaper than any rentals I found and then you have it for the future.
Joe Ricard
A tow dolly rental ain't but a few hundred for 1 way trip. Please don't take offense but if youcan't afford that then a 914 ain't for you in te 1st place.
rhodyguy
the rental co folks don't know what they're talking about. just tell them you plan on towing a jetta. i've driven a jeep grand cheerokee(sp) pulling a 914 on a tow dolly. "faster kevin!!" ohmy.gif wink.gif . craig and jim have done it countless times.

k
Leo Imperial
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Jan 20 2006, 05:46 AM)
A tow dolly rental ain't but a few hundred for 1 way trip. Please don't take offense but if youcan't afford that then a 914 ain't for you in te 1st place.

blink.gif I thought that all 914 owners were broke huh.gif
lincoln
towbar- hadnt actually considered that- i mean it went thru my head but seems to have gone astray heheh . am getting this little sentra 4 door- think it could tow the teen? or would i need a truck?

oh yea- where do ya buy a towbar these days?
morph
QUOTE (Leo Imperial @ Jan 20 2006, 11:13 AM)
A tow dolly rental ain't but a few hundred for 1 way trip.  Please don't take offense but if youcan't afford that then a 914 ain't for you in te 1st place.

huh.gif most are not broke just CHEAP. wink.gif
motorhead
don't forget your triple A card............. wink.gif
Allan
AAA card and money...

Lot's of it...
Leo Imperial
QUOTE (morphenspectra @ Jan 20 2006, 02:37 PM)
QUOTE (Leo Imperial @ Jan 20 2006, 11:13 AM)
A tow dolly rental ain't but a few hundred for 1 way trip.  Please don't take offense but if youcan't afford that then a 914 ain't for you in te 1st place.

huh.gif most are not broke just CHEAP. wink.gif

The best way to be cheap is tell them you are broke to get a deal.

I got my towbar from Viking Auto Parts, but most are going to ebay.
anthony
QUOTE (Leo Imperial @ Jan 20 2006, 12:13 PM)

The true nature of 914 ownership was recently revealed. biggrin.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...=ST&f=2&t=44452

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.