Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: gasket for brake caliper halves
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dmenche914
On the front brakes (and i assume on the rear too) there is a pair of gaskets that go between the caliper halves. These gaskets are not sold in the rebuild kits. Mine need repalcement,

What is a source for these gaskets?
joea9146
I have not seen Gaskets on Porsche Calipers. I have seen O rings that go between the halves. You can get the O rings by odering a rebuild kit for the Caliper
cary
No gaskets. Just o-rings that sit on the little seat. They are square cut just like the fuel injector nozzle seals.
Allan
QUOTE (joea9146 @ Jan 19 2006, 11:44 AM)
I have not seen Gaskets on Porsche Calipers. I have seen O rings that go between the halves. You can get the O rings by odering a rebuild kit for the Caliper

agree.gif Small o-rings for the caliper halves are in the rebuild kit Pelican sells.

At least in the rear kits.
cary
Not in the fronts. sad.gif But you have to split the caliper to clean up the piston bore. I just give them I little hone to tidy them up.

I just reuse them. No other choice. I haven't had a broken one yet. No leaks. Hold pressure fine.
dmenche914
mine are flat round gaskets, not O-rings (with have a circular cross section). These are in betweent eh caliper halfs, and are on an early front caliper. The later (mid 72) may or may not have the same gasket.

The gasket is not offered on the rebuilds for the fronts. I have checked this with two 914 vendors. Sot here lies the probelm.

Mine were exposed to penatrating oil when that had to be used to remove the pistons! As a rule, brake rubbers should not be exopsed to any solvents nor oils (other than alchohol I believe, but my rule is nothing touches them except brake fluid or brake grease.) at anyrate these puppies have been exposed, so a replacement would be great! i dont want to risk oils absorbing and breaking it down.

Does anyone know what the rubber in brake systems is made of? What rubbers are compatable with brake fluid?

tat2dphreak
QUOTE (dmenche914 @ Jan 19 2006, 03:05 PM)
mine are flat round gaskets, not O-rings (with have a circular cross section). These are in betweent eh caliper halfs, and are on an early front caliper. The later (mid 72) may or may not have the same gasket.

The gasket is not offered on the rebuilds for the fronts. I have checked this with two 914 vendors. Sot here lies the probelm.

Mine were exposed to penatrating oil when that had to be used to remove the pistons! As a rule, brake rubbers should not be exopsed to any solvents nor oils (other than alchohol I believe, but my rule is nothing touches them except brake fluid or brake grease.) at anyrate these puppies have been exposed, so a replacement would be great! i dont want to risk oils absorbing and breaking it down.

Does anyone know what the rubber in brake systems is made of? What rubbers are compatable with brake fluid?

could be worse... my first set of 914 calipers were so rusted over I thought dipping in chemtool would be a good idea... that was before this club and I found out that had ruined the calipers...

early calipers should just have the o-rings too, maybe your o-rings have just flattened to gasket shape... confused24.gif
dmenche914
so will the Pelican Parts rear o-rings fit the front calipers? Anyone got the diminsions on one?

thanks
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (dmenche914 @ Jan 19 2006, 05:11 PM)
so will the Pelican Parts rear o-rings fit the front calipers? Anyone got the diminsions on one?

thanks

the pelican front rebuild kit will have the right o-rings, rears are different IIRC... Eric will know 100% for sure
JFJ914
Porsche Dealer, 901 351 928 10.
914Jr.
All 914 calipers use the the same o-rings to seal the halves. Front and rear are interchangeable.
rhodyguy
check with eric shea. his BIG ad in the resources, parts, products section.

k
lylegd
The replacement seal rings are part number 901.351.928.10 Bought mine from Stoddards but with the above part number, you should be able to order them from lots of places. They are a square cross-section O ring. They are shown in the PET catalog for a 1969 911S rear brakes. There are two per caliper if you don't use caliper spacers, four per caliper if you do.
Lyle
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.