Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another head light question?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jrcui
After recently replacing the alternator, the headlights would only come on if I turned them on first before starting the engine.

Now, the headlights don't come on at all. All the running lights/blinkers work and the headlights do pop up but no light.

Read through the threads, so I checked the fuses (look good, replaced them all when I got the car in June) and replaced the relay but the headlights still won't come on.

What should I check next? How common is it for before bulbs to burn out at the same time? Also, when I try to turn on the high beams, I get nothing.

Confused what to do next.

Thanks in advance,
Vince
huh.gif
r_towle
check your grounds.

Get a volt meter, pull the plug off the back of the light and check for voltage..

There are two positive leads and one ground (brown)

You should see voltage there...

Rich
lapuwali
Check voltage also at the relay on the fuse board that looks like a silver cube with all of the wires coming out of the top (rather than out of the base). This is controlled by the turn signal stalk, and controls whether you have low or high beams on. The yellow wires are the low beams, the white wires are the high beams. If this relay dies, you get either only high or only low or no beams at all.

If you get no power at that relay, then the next thing down the line is the headlight switch itself. The red/white wire supplies power to the relay from the headlight switch. The yellow/red wire is the selector from the steering column switch. If you pull on the stalk (ignition on) and don't get a click, it's this wire, or the steering column switch, or the relay.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.