Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: trans mounts?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ferg
Trans is out for a refresh, and while pulling, I noticed my stock rubber trans mounts are a little cracked/dry... but not all the way through.

This is a 3.2 six conversion with a stock 901, it is not a track car, but it's also not built for comfort. Motors mounted ala bulkhead mount with the 911 sport mounts.

I can get new or good used OEM rubber trans mounts, but was thinking of solid mounts as well, Are they to harsh for a street car? And will I feel any shift imporvement by going solid?

TIA

Ferg biggrin.gif
Aaron Cox
fergmeister....

weltmeister "solids" rock. i love them. they are really a semi solid. its a hockey puck style rubber......
a little added noise (minor) and bitchin shifting.

wevo's are nice (but overrated imho....) same noise as a welt... (in my experience)
Ferg
wevo's are like 80 a pop, are the welt's any cheaper?

Ferg.

ok, just found them on paragon... you talking abou the 50 dollar blockey rubber on's or the 100 dollar red anodized set?
ClayPerrine
Put the 911 sport mounts on the trans too. They work great there.

Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Ferg @ Jan 19 2006, 02:43 PM)
wevo's are like 80 a pop, are the welt's any cheaper?

Ferg.

welts are 40 a pair NEW
Jeroen
Let's see... WEVO or Weltsheister?
hmmm... tough choice lol2.gif
Mueller
I went with the WEVO's, sure more money (which goes to a hardworking person/shop I know verses some "company" that is probebly owned by some non-Porsche driving rich dude smile.gif )

Another plus is they just look bitch'n which for your car Ferg is way more important than on a POS like mine, hahahha

You don't want solid mounts...

And now with that heavy six, saving a few pounds ought to be nice biggrin.gif wacko.gif

user posted image
user posted image
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Jan 19 2006, 02:54 PM)
Let's see... WEVO or Weltsheister?
hmmm... tough choice lol2.gif

no offense, nice pieces the wevo's are, but they dont justify 4x the price of the welts.

no difference in noise or driveability i noticed between the 2.

911 sport mounts, welts or wevos are all nice.

911 mounts being the softest..... wevo's and welts being harder....
Ferg
thanks for all the great info guys, i'm gonna think it over, cheap is sounding good at this point, my wallet has taken a severe beating today,

the trans rebuild guy just called and informed me my mainshaft is iffy... the splines are not looking good sad.gif so i'll be replacing it...

good news is other than 1-2 dogs and 1-2-3 syncros 2-3 slider, and a mainshaft bearing were the only other items

the spare core I brought them to offset the cost was hosed, sheared bearings with lots of drive time with lots of hard metal bits floating around blink.gif RP was history... glad i bought that cheap.

Oh and my new 944 is pissin coolant, and the front struts I bought are not correct ar15.gif

I need a beer.

Ferg.
tat2dphreak
I went with the solid welts too... 40 vs 160, is a no brainer for me in my street car... put the 120 somewhere else... like in my rennshifter fund
Gint
Cheapin out huh!?!

I'm putting Wevos in mine.

happy11.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (Ferg @ Jan 19 2006, 01:38 PM)
Motors mounted ala bulkhead mount with the 911 sport mounts.

use the same 911 sport mounts you used for the motor also for the transmission ...

they work great!

and i have the blurry pic to prove it ...
rolleyes.gif Andy

Jeroen
QUOTE (Gint @ Jan 20 2006, 01:33 AM)
I'm putting Wevos in mine.

happy11.gif

got the wevo's too
for the engine and the tranny

I'm broke, but I do have a lot of cool parts laugh.gif
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jan 19 2006, 07:54 PM)
QUOTE (Ferg @ Jan 19 2006, 01:38 PM)
Motors mounted ala bulkhead mount with the 911 sport mounts.

use the same 911 sport mounts you used for the motor also for the transmission ...

they work great!

and i have the blurry pic to prove it ...
rolleyes.gif Andy

do you have a little flower decal on your camera, next to a button you've never touched? you should try it some time... wink.gif cool_shades.gif
brant
Ferg,

don't pay much for a mainshaft.
someone on this list will probably sell you one for 10 bucks...

I might be able to come up with one too, as I sent a spare to grandjunction for my tranny job.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (brant @ Jan 19 2006, 06:33 PM)
Ferg,

don't pay much for a mainshaft.
someone on this list will probably sell you one for 10 bucks...

I might be able to come up with one too, as I sent a spare to grandjunction for my tranny job.

GA or F?

GA = 3 bills used... F = free most of the time....
TROJANMAN
QUOTE (Ferg @ Jan 19 2006, 02:18 PM)
Oh and my new 944 is pissin coolant, and the front struts I bought are not correct ar15.gif

I need a beer.

Ferg.

should've let me buy that 944 biggrin.gif

i'll get you a beer on the 4th. beer.gif
brant
Aaron, its an F...

know where one might be? (I guess I mean a matched pair, when I say one)
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (brant @ Jan 20 2006, 12:35 AM)
Aaron, its an F...

know where one might be? (I guess I mean a matched pair, when I say one)

thats hideously easy to find. (i may have one)

why ya using an F with a 3.2?

much happier with a GA id bet, but an F is an ANY 914 box.
Ferg
I'm calling first thing this AM to find out what mainshaft they are using... Didn't know there was a difference, what is the difference? Anyhow i'm sure it's to late, as they were starting reassembly last night, and i was told two bills for a mainshaft so i'm hoping it was the good one. confused24.gif

It better shift like a Honda S2000 when this is all done rolleyes.gif laugh.gif

Ferg.
Ferg
QUOTE (TROJANMAN @ Jan 19 2006, 10:41 PM)
QUOTE (Ferg @ Jan 19 2006, 02:18 PM)
Oh and my new 944 is pissin coolant, and the front struts I bought are not correct  :shoot2kill:  

I need a beer.

Ferg.

should've let me buy that 944 biggrin.gif

i'll get you a beer on the 4th. beer.gif

The mood i'm in with that car, I may just sell it to you!

ar15.gif 944S

Ferg smile.gif
Ferg
QUOTE (Ferg @ Jan 20 2006, 07:15 AM)
I'm calling first thing this AM to find out what mainshaft they are using... Didn't know there was a difference, what is the difference? Anyhow i'm sure it's to late, as they were starting reassembly last night, and i was told two bills for a mainshaft so i'm hoping it was the good one. confused24.gif

It better shift like a Honda S2000 when this is all done rolleyes.gif laugh.gif

Ferg.

So my box is already together... if anyone has a excellent "F" mainshaft they would like to sell me please send me a PM. I need one to give back to them for trade.

Ferg.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Ferg @ Jan 20 2006, 09:22 AM)
I'm calling first thing this AM to find out what mainshaft they are using...  Didn't know there was a difference, what is the difference?  Anyhow i'm sure it's to late, as they were starting reassembly last night, and i was told two bills for a mainshaft so i'm hoping it was the good one.  :confused:

It better shift like a Honda S2000 when this is all done rolleyes.gif  :lol:

Ferg.

So my box is already together... if anyone has a excellent "F" mainshaft they would like to sell me please send me a PM. I need one to give back to them for trade.

Ferg.

GA is taller than an F.

hows your box together without a mainshaft? lol2.gif

PM joe sharp. he may have an F
Ferg
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Jan 20 2006, 08:31 AM)
QUOTE (Ferg @ Jan 20 2006, 09:22 AM)
I'm calling first thing this AM to find out what mainshaft they are using...  Didn't know there was a difference, what is the difference?  Anyhow i'm sure it's to late, as they were starting reassembly last night, and i was told two bills for a mainshaft so i'm hoping it was the good one.  :confused:

It better shift like a Honda S2000 when this is all done rolleyes.gif  :lol:

Ferg.

Ferg.

GA is taller than an F.

hows your box together without a mainshaft? lol2.gif

PM joe sharp. he may have an F

they used a "excellent" F they had in their stock...

so I need to replace it for them or pay...

Ferg.
TROJANMAN
QUOTE (Ferg @ Jan 20 2006, 07:17 AM)

ar15.gif 944S

Ferg smile.gif

bummer sad.gif

can we help you with it on the 4th? smile.gif
Wild 6
My Weltmeister mounts disintegrated under the stress of a high horsepower motor. When the first one broke, I was on the track and the gearbox popped out of third. It turned out that the third gear synchro got trashed when the tranny mount fell apart.

If you use the Weltmeister mounts, make sure to check them often. I now run the Wevo mounts. Much, much better design.

Andy
914Sixer
914-6 mounts are still available but they are not cheap at $100 each. They are solid rubber with no breather holes around center trans bolt hole.
Jeroen
the wevo's are looking cheaper by the post biggrin.gif
Ferg
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Jan 20 2006, 10:01 AM)
the wevo's are looking cheaper by the post biggrin.gif

I agree. i think i will spring for bling cool_shades.gif

Ferg
Ferg
QUOTE (TROJANMAN @ Jan 20 2006, 08:57 AM)
QUOTE (Ferg @ Jan 20 2006, 07:17 AM)

ar15.gif  944S

Ferg  :)

bummer sad.gif

can we help you with it on the 4th? smile.gif

nope, but i'm good at pulling a trans now rolleyes.gif , you had better powerwash your trans if you expect me to crawl under there, i'm bringing my white gloves! lol2.gif

Ferg.
r_towle
I have quite a few trannies.

Not sure about an F main shaft...

If I have one, its yours.

let me know how to tell.

Rich
Ferg
Best I can tell, most 4cylinders are the "F" mainshaft...

I think GA was six only, taller 2nd gear. but i'm not sure how to tell them apart, once out of the box.

I really appreciate the offer Rich, i'm going to find out from the shop doing the work exactly what qualifys as a "excellent" example, before I buy one, in order to get credit as a core.

I had a complete spare tranny that I brought them, but no good, barf.gif

Ferg.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (r_towle @ Jan 20 2006, 11:17 AM)
I have quite a few trannies.

Not sure about an F main shaft...

If I have one, its yours.

let me know how to tell.

Rich

if its a 914/4 tranny it has an f mainshaft.

ratio 18:34
brant
Ferg,

sorry to hear that the parts $ is going to come out so high...
definitely buy an F from the club and exchange it with them...
200 is WAY to much money to pay for any F.

so what Aaron said.
thats the ratio, or number of teeth on the gearts.
the mainshaft is going to be about 34-30inches long with a gear made onto it that has a teeth count of 18 or 34 (can't remember which, and have no access to documentation at the moment)

the 2nd part of the matched pair is going to be a gear on the 2ndary shaft which is removeable. It has the inverse number of teeth (probably the 18)

Because F mainshafts came in 100,000 914 transmissions, Some 911 transmissions, and even in tail shifters.... They are litterally worth nearly nothing. I would definitely find an EXCELLENT one to replace the shops and try and avoid another 200$ on the bill.

I might even have a spare in grandjunction, but he distance doesn't help... (sorry)

brant
Ferg
QUOTE (brant @ Jan 20 2006, 10:37 AM)
Ferg,

sorry to hear that the parts $ is going to come out so high...
definitely buy an F from the club and exchange it with them...
200 is WAY to much money to pay for any F.

so what Aaron said.
thats the ratio, or number of teeth on the gearts.
the mainshaft is going to be about 34-30inches long with a gear made onto it that has a teeth count of 18 or 34 (can't remember which, and have no access to documentation at the moment)

the 2nd part of the matched pair is going to be a gear on the 2ndary shaft which is removeable. It has the inverse number of teeth (probably the 18)

Because F mainshafts came in 100,000 914 transmissions, Some 911 transmissions, and even in tail shifters.... They are litterally worth nearly nothing. I would definitely find an EXCELLENT one to replace the shops and try and avoid another 200$ on the bill.

I might even have a spare in grandjunction, but he distance doesn't help... (sorry)

brant

Aren't you on gone or someting? biggrin.gif thanks for the input. time is not that critical, since I can still bring them a core weeks from now.

after talking to them, It can't be bent, has to have good spline's and second needs to look very good. ie low wear.

Ferg.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.