Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help with stuck trunk lid
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rjames
So I noticed that the bolts that hold fasten the latch to the rear trunk lid were loose, so I tightened them up. Now when I hit the remote to open the trunk (I have a rear reflector and remote cilanoid (sp?) I can hear it release, but it won't open. Is there another way in this thing? (and please don't say "climb through the rust holes" smile.gif
rhodyguy
robert, were you in the silver 914, south bound I-5, midday near northgate about a month ago?

k
Bleyseng
that was your doppelganger, Kevin......

happy11.gif
rhodyguy
sorry, have you tried having someone lift the trunk when you're pushing the release?

k
Rand
QUOTE (rjames @ Jan 19 2006, 04:52 PM)
So I noticed that the bolts that hold fasten the latch to the rear trunk lid were loose, so I tightened them up.  Now when I hit the remote to open the trunk (I have a rear reflector and remote cilanoid (sp?) I can hear it release, but it won't open.  Is there another way in this thing?  (and please don't say "climb through the rust holes"  :)

Just loosen those bolts up again! biggrin.gif

Seriously though, put some weight on the back of the trunk lid and try the remote again. That should let it release, then you can adjust the catch.
rjames
robert, were you in the silver 914, south bound I-5, midday near northgate about a month ago?  

Rhodyguy- Nope my ride be black. (See pick below) I have seen a silver one around downtown Seattle on occaision though...

Thanks all for the suggestions, will try 'em. Damn, gotta put the battery back in now to do so.

Decided last night to have at it: I spent 3 hours in the garage last night removing the interior in search of rust to kill. Found some holes behind the driver's seat, but the inside longs look ok as does the area behind the passenger seat where the battery usually helps to rust stuff away. Battery tray for sure needs to be replaced, but so far I'm feeling good about it. We'll see how it looks when the rocker panels get removed (if I can get the bloody screws out that hold 'em on from the bottom).

New thread and pics to follow in hopes of some commentary from the gallery!

boxstr
Once you get the rear trunk lid open I would recommend a piece of wire or chain attached to the release lever under the latch. Run it down through a hole in the rear trunk floor, it should be long enough and come down by the rear muffler. Adjust it so you can pull it down and it releases the trunk latch.
I had this on a 914-8 that had a remote release. this will save you if your battery is dead.
CCLINOPENSAYSME
Bartlett 914
I have the same problem with my remote trunk opener. I installed a toggle switch instead of using a momentary switch. This holds the solonoid engaged while I go to the back and press down on the trunk deck. This takes the load off and the solonoid can pull the latch. I also connected this circuit to the parking brake light so I remember that the solonoid is powered. I installed the switch on the fuse plate so it is out of sight.

Mark
szuccaro
I also had a similar setup .... thinking proactively, I abandoned the electric solonoid and opted to go with a manual trunk release. As mentioned in an earlier post, in addition to the manual trunk release, I also installed a pull chain thru the trunk floor as a secondary backup to the trunk release.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.